thehungus1

First Name
Karl Hungus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Driving home last night, the car started making a strange noise. It sounds almost like the "slapping" sound a flat tire would make, but much more muted. I get the sense it's coming from the rear. It gets faster and more pronounced as I go faster. None of the tires are flat or even low, nor am I getting a low-pressure indication. The car handles normally and doesn't pull to either side when let go of the wheel. My local dealer's service department is closed today, so I took the car next door to a Tires Plus. They couldn't get it on a lift today, but one of the techs looked at the tires and agreed that there aren't any obvious defects there. His only guess is that it might be a bearing.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Something stuck to the tire nothing to be worried about

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Underside sound insulation panel loose and flapping maybe?

OP
OP

thehungus1

First Name
Karl Hungus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Underside sound insulation panel loose and flapping maybe?

I thought that too, but the sound increases in frequency and intensity in direct proportion to my speed.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought that too, but the sound increases in frequency and intensity in direct proportion to my speed.
Still could be... would flap quicker and more intensely the faster you go

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
+1 for something foreign inside the wheel or stuck to or stuck in the tire. It's probably easiest to examine on a rack. But a handheld mirror and a flashlight may help. Good luck.

Sty09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Driving home last night, the car started making a strange noise. It sounds almost like the "slapping" sound a flat tire would make, but much more muted. I get the sense it's coming from the rear. It gets faster and more pronounced as I go faster. None of the tires are flat or even low, nor am I getting a low-pressure indication. The car handles normally and doesn't pull to either side when let go of the wheel. My local dealer's service department is closed today, so I took the car next door to a Tires Plus. They couldn't get it on a lift today, but one of the techs looked at the tires and agreed that there aren't any obvious defects there. His only guess is that it might be a bearing.

Any ideas?
I have the same issue. Haven't figured it out yet.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Look at your tire wear patterns tire might be cupping. Check your shocks are any wet? Wet shocks = leaking. That usually causes cupping

OP
OP

thehungus1

First Name
Karl Hungus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Found the culprit. I took the car to the dealer, they got it up on the lift, and lo and behold, I had a bolt in my tire. They patched it up, but I swear I can still hear a little bit of rotational noise from the rear . . .
Sponsored