Weird Hesitation Issues with CVT

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

not many places willing to give me one lol.

now we know your problem..lol
I've owned a few late 90s-early 00s auto Hondas and never dealt with transmission problems (except my TL...) Guess I'll just gain a couple years and the tranny will magically fix itself! ?

Either way, it's frustrating because I don't have a way to get to my job and I'm about an hour away.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IIRC... I always hear/feel a click when I press the brake to pull the transmission out of Park. I'm pretty sure that's the electric lock mechanism thingy moving to allow the movement of the gear shifter. So far as I know... it's just a simple thing that moves in and out of the way.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the noise is a symptom of some transmission issue.

I would expect you to have a dash full of error lights with this.

Hang on to that video. It may help with the diagnostic stuff.

And good luck.
This has me thinking maybe some sort of electrical failure to that component that clicks. It does actually sound like that noise, just going completely haywire. Maybe something to ask the techs to look at as well

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday and a service rep called me earlier today to tell me they can't reproduce the issue and the car's behavior is normal. I wasn't satisfied so they offered to give it a second look because the video clearly shows there's some sort of electrical issue somewhere, if not mechanical.

CruzK20

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday and a service rep called me earlier today to tell me they can't reproduce the issue and the car's behavior is normal. I wasn't satisfied so they offered to give it a second look because the video clearly shows there's some sort of electrical issue somewhere, if not mechanical.
this is why I hate dealers. Did you by any chance get to find out what it was?

intro

First Name
Intro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport
Country flag
Hi everyone. Was the issue solved? I currently have a 2019 sport, but I had a BMW 320i before with an issue just like this only difference is every now and then a tranny lock light would come on the dash. I would lose power just the same. I brought it to the mechanic who couldn't find out what the issue was. I got fed up and decided to troubleshoot the car myself. I up all the accessories around the shifter and the same noise was coming from the shift lock lever. After 2 days of trying everything the issue just seemed electrical related. So I starting to think CPU? wire loom? coil pack? I checked the wire loom and found nothing odd. I started pulling out the cpu but then had second thoughts of messing it up, so I was on to coil packs. I had a few I had changed out previously. I tried on the same issue, I was like lord send me a miracle. Then something came to my mind from a friend about electronics, so I decided to change all 4, and viola the car was up and running no click no light. I floored it down the highway and back, that was the end of that problem.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
That is the shift interlock solenoid spazzing out. Based on what you are telling me, you have a sticking brake pedal switch. So after all those Toyotas getting their gas pedals stuck and killing everyone inside years ago, Honda said "fuuuuuu that bad PR" and wrote in safety software into all their vehicles. If you apply the brakes and the gas pedal at the same time, as a safety feature, it will kill all power going to the engine. It thinks you are trying to stop a vehicle stuck at full throttle so it's helping save you by killing the engine.

What this means to you is that if the brake pedal switch is failing or intermittenly sticking on, it will randomly kill the engine power now, it's going into safety mode. The shift lock solenoid uses the same brake pedal switch, it's going nuts seeing on/off/on/off signals from the bad brake switch.

The video helped a lot, thanks. You should have showed this to the dealer if you haven't, I diag'd this in the 16seconds of your video. Hooking up the computer (HDS) and viewing the data list would have shown similar results. We aren't all morons, I promise. :slap:

Good luck. The switch takes all of 5 seconds to replace no tools needed.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I wonder any updates and hows the fix?
Sponsored