Weird Hesitation Issues with CVT

Deleted member 39229

I wasn't expecting to make a post about this car having issues, but I guess anything is possible. :(

I have a 2017 FC2 with a 2.0L CVT and earlier today, I noticed some weird behavior with the gas pedal. While I was driving, the RPMs would just cut down to idle, sort of like when you push in the clutch in a car with a manual. The engine doesn't die or anything, but the gas pedal stops taking driver input. I can push the pedal to the floor when the RPMs drop and the RPMs don't go up from idle. I have to fully release and hit the gas pedal a few times and hope that something happens. It doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm traveling at or what RPM I was sitting at, it just spontaneously cuts off.

I immediately pulled over to try and see what's wrong, and prevent traffic from piling up behind me. When I put the car in park, there was a crazy rattling noise coming from the center console. When I press on the brake though, the rattling stops. I was thinking maybe it was a brake shift interlock or something but I can go in and out of gears just fine. But the rattling noise only happens while in park. It's so bizarre as I've never experienced this with any car before.

I'm not going to drive the car until I figure out what the hell is going on because it's incredibly dangerous in this state. Any ideas on what this could be? I haven't found anything online about it but I figured it's worth a shot to at least post about it.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I'm sitting at ~34k miles, this just started happening tonight.
You’re almost due for a CVT fluid change. I would definitely would try to do that and hopefully that will solve the problem.

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

You’re almost due for a CVT fluid change. I would definitely would try to do that and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Would a fluid change solve the rattling in the automatic gear shift? That's the really puzzling thing. Both issues appeared at the same time so it makes me think they are tied together.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
No idea what's going on and never heard about this kind of issue. At least you are lucky because it's rather obvious, so the service won't say they can't reproduce the issue or that it's normal. :p
You could check for any leaks and make sure the filler plug under the airbox is in place.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I don’t think it’s that. With the fluid, if it starts breaking down it can lead to high pitched whines and the belt slipping. These seems like a complete failure and something is grinding harshly. If this is due to the CVT, then it has to be completely broken and no fluid change is gonna fix this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

I don’t think it’s that. With the fluid, if it starts breaking down it can lead to high pitched whines and the belt slipping. These seems like a complete failure and something is grinding harshly. If this is due to the CVT, then it has to be completely broken and no fluid change is gonna fix this.
Yeah I don't know what to make of this. The noise from the video only happens if I'm in P and the brake pedal is pressed, it doesn't happen at all unless those two conditions are met. I would hope the CVT hasn't catastrophically failed, since it engages R, D, S and L like it always does and it moves through ratios just fine when I'm driving in D. The gas pedal just stops working but it's not shaky or jerky so I'm not leaning towards mechanical failure yet.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Yeah I don't know what to make of this. The noise from the video only happens if I'm in P and the brake pedal is pressed, it doesn't happen at all unless those two conditions are met. I would hope the CVT hasn't catastrophically failed, since it engages R, D, S and L like it always does and it moves through ratios just fine when I'm driving in D. The gas pedal just stops working but it's not shaky or jerky so I'm not leaning towards mechanical failure yet.
Yeah man, it’s crazy. Never seen anything like this. It’s got me stumped.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
IIRC... I always hear/feel a click when I press the brake to pull the transmission out of Park. I'm pretty sure that's the electric lock mechanism thingy moving to allow the movement of the gear shifter. So far as I know... it's just a simple thing that moves in and out of the way.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the noise is a symptom of some transmission issue.

I would expect you to have a dash full of error lights with this.

Hang on to that video. It may help with the diagnostic stuff.

And good luck.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
P.S. I'd inspect your engine compartment for obvious stuff as well as for a nest of marmots that have been chomping on the wiring harnesses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

IIRC... I always hear/feel a click when I press the brake to pull the transmission out of Park. I'm pretty sure that's the electric lock mechanism thingy moving to allow the movement of the gear shifter. So far as I know... it's just a simple thing that moves in and out of the way.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the noise is a symptom of some transmission issue.

I would expect you to have a dash full of error lights with this.

Hang on to that video. It may help with the diagnostic stuff.

And good luck.
I wish my dash lit up, then I could just plug in a code reader or something and have some concrete info on what could be happening.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard anything like that. Me personally? I'd take it the the dealer asap.

OP
OP

Deleted member 39229

I've never heard anything like that. Me personally? I'd take it the the dealer asap.
Yep, scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Now to find a rental... not many places willing to give me one lol.
Sponsored