Weird engine tick/knock (Honda Pilot)

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Don't judge but this question has nothing to do with Civic. I have 2016 Pilot (as well as Civic HB) and started noticing my Pilot making ticking/knocking sound coming from engine bay area upon cold starts (well, not really cold here in TX but after 5-6hrs of engine being off). Knock is present within 1000-1500rpm range. Higher rpm and idle sounds perfectly normal. . Anyway, once it warms up to operating temperature it completely goes away. Car has only 9k on the clock. No oil consumption, drives just fine. I've attached a video for your reference.

And yes, I've placed the same question on the pilot owners forum but it appears to be dead with no one responding. This forum instead is very informative and some posts are very helpful. So I figured you guys listen to it and share your opinion. Thanks for the feedback in advance. PS Car is scheduled to the dealer next week.

Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's a shame that no Pilot owners responded. Couldn't hear it well enough. Next time take the video from the engine compartment and post to a general auto care forum.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
That's a shame that no Pilot owners responded. Couldn't hear it well enough. Next time take the video from the engine compartment and post to a general auto care forum.
Oh, I thought noise I was referring to was so clearly hearable! I guess to me it was. Lol. Ok, I'll try to get a better video and post it. Thank you

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Don't judge but this question has nothing to do with Civic. I have 2016 Pilot (as well as Civic HB) and started noticing my Pilot making ticking/knocking sound coming from engine bay area upon cold starts (well, not really cold here in TX but after 5-6hrs of engine being off). Knock is present within 1000-1500rpm range. Higher rpm and idle sounds perfectly normal. . Anyway, once it warms up to operating temperature it completely goes away. Car has only 9k on the clock. No oil consumption, drives just fine. I've attached a video for your reference.

And yes, I've placed the same question on the pilot owners forum but it appears to be dead with no one responding. This forum instead is very informative and some posts are very helpful. So I figured you guys listen to it and share your opinion. Thanks for the feedback in advance. PS Car is scheduled to the dealer next week.

I think i have the same thing on my hatchback 2017. The engine is CVT. The ticking lasts about 10-15 seconds after a "cold" start.

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag

Could be piston slap, which is not serious. If it was rod knock I don't believe it would go away after warmup.

I can hear the sound in the video.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Could be piston slap, which is not serious. If it was rod knock I don't believe it would go away after warmup.

I can hear the sound in the video.
That's what i think it is. but how come piston slap is not serious?? to me it is a big deal...plus, how come brand new engine can have a piston slap???

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Just checked and your J35Y6 uses direct injection as well.

The direct injection engine noise is more noticable and sound more like a knock

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Just checked and your J35Y6 uses direct injection as well.

The direct injection engine noise is more noticable and sound more like a knock
It is a piston slap. Brand new pilots produce exact same noise. Engine characteristic as they say

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag

I can hear it very clearly I’m a tech.
If it’s much louder for a few seconds the goes quite on cold start is worn rod or crank bearings. That means when oil drains back into pan your hearing the worn rod bearings. Pilots are know to leak out if timing cover and oil pump. Running low on oil one time is all it takes. I’ve replaced enough pilot engines to know.
Check oil level.
Sponsored