weird clutch on 1.5t

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love my manual Civic even though I drive in heavy traffic everyday. I have driven manual cars since 1999, so I am used to it. Everything is usually fine, until i find myself in a traffic jam worse than usual, in the extreme cases it could happen to spend over 1 hour to drive 1 km to reach a bridge to the city centre, with hundreds of clutch engagements, 1st gear, stop again etc...
After this my clutch acts differently, the biting point is not where it used to be and it tends to shake when it engages and at the same time the shifter is not as smooth as it should. It feels like i left a mark on the surface each time i started in traffic. The most annoying thing is that this lasts for a couple of days and goes completely away only after i do several accelerations shifting over 5k RPM.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The shaking during engagement may be due to overheating of the clutch.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
wow. An hour to go 1km? You need a hybrid!

I would try bleeding the lines.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably a VERY bad idea to have a manual if those are your driving conditions.

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it doesn't happen everyday, maybe once in 2 weeks. The other days I am lucky and i can cover 1 km in "only" 20-30 min, without clutch problems.
I was thinking it overheated but actually it starts shaking the next morning, when it is totally cold.
Anyway i prefer to drive manual, In the same conditions on the previous car I messed up the automatic transmission and the brakes in 30k miles....

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
today, 4 days after the problem finally the clutch feels.100% back to life. I will have to wake up 45 minutes earlier to avoid the traffic and hibernate (?) next week when Putin will be in town

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably took that long to wear down any buildup on the clutch or flywheel. Always make sure and take it out of gear and foot off clutch if you are going to be sitting for more than 10 seconds. It will significantly increase your clutch life and your leg life. LOL

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I test drove a Manual SI. I have to say I really didn't enjoy it. Too much rev-hang, soft clutch with no feel to clamping point(probably has a clutch delay valve) Plus tons of slop in the drive train.

I've been spoiled with GREAT manuals in BMW e30's, and S2000's. The new M stuff manuals also suck for me

I think all cars should have at least a 120wtq and 100hp electric assist motor for low speeds like this and to help the car off the line or to give extra oomph until turbo builds boost. Forget about gas economy hybrids. KERS 80hp extra kick would be nice too

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/why-we-need-cars-kers

Last edited:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Anyway i prefer to drive manual, In the same conditions on the previous car I messed up the automatic transmission and the brakes in 30k miles....
What was the previous car?

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What was the previous car?
A Chevy Malibu. Nothing wrong with the car itself, just the conditions were extreme due to construction works on the bridge during the summer. Shifting improved a lot after changing transmission fluid (completely burned), but the brakes just kept squeaking till I sold it...

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 10th si. As much as i loved that car, I feel this gen's clutch is just too weak and soft for the civics. Only the Type R got the proper clutch feel, and I could feel it as soon as I changed car.

So, I'm not surprised to see so many complain about the clutch, and I was one considering changing my Si's clutch if I could not find a type r. I say, if you don mind the $1000, go get a good aftermarket clutch. It's worth it for the money.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I test drove a Manual SI. I have to say I really didn't enjoy it. Too much rev-hang, soft clutch with no feel to clamping point(probably has a clutch delay valve) Plus tons of slop in the drive train.

I've been spoiled with GREAT manuals in BMW e30's, and S2000's. The new M stuff manuals also suck for me

I think all cars should have at least a 120wtq and 100hp electric assist motor for low speeds like this and to help the car off the line or to give extra oomph until turbo builds boost. Forget about gas economy hybrids. KERS 80hp extra kick would be nice too

I own one and I explain this to everyone else that owns an Si and they swear it’s one of the best driving experiences ever. While it is a great car for the money, I’m not going to defend that the rev hang is abysmal to the point that it makes driving annoying at times. The clutch literally has no feedback compared to a type r so it feels inconsistent. I think I’m going to trade it in for something else once my lease is done.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag

I had exactly the same feeling when I just got my 10th gen Si. But! then I got my TSP stage 1 tune, got rid of the rev hang, the car just suddenly woke up with 240whp and a very linear power band like the Type R's. It became a different car and a blast to drive with minimal hit to gas milage. I feel the Car itself was great, just under tuned from factory. As if honda did purposely to shift the attention to their flagship type r. Sure it will never sound good with the 1.5L, but clutch you can change.

I loved my Si, and love my Type R. I always tell people try not to judge the Si in it's factory tune. Get a tuner, and a good tune.
Sponsored