Weird beam sound/rhythm around 65-67mph?

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure if anybody's experienced this, but anytime my car is in that sweet spot between 65-67mph, there's a low sort of "beam" / "woosh" sounds that happens at a certain tempo. The sound I can most closely relate it to is if you press the boost button while riding a Ghost in Halo. 😅

It goes away once I get out of that 65-67mph band, and it happens regardless of what gear I'm in, and what road I'm on. The tempo doesn't speed up/slow down, and it's just in that speed that I hear it.

I'm attaching a video but it doesn't come out super well on PC speakers since the road noise is loud, but on my phone the sound is there.

Is this just a case of some weird harmonic resonance thing? Like, something about my tire/suspension combo that's causing this sound to come out at just the right speed?

I'll try to get a clearer sound, but it's sort of worrying me.
View attachment 403810

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Sound is a little clearer when I uploaded the video to YouTube.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Is it the flutter sound in your YT video?

I have a similar problem and actually just came back from the dealership where they unfortunately did nothing to address my real problem, instead they though it was my exhaust tips hitting my diffuser (that would be completely different sound)

I took precisely the same video ... with the same carbon dashboard ... and for me it's impossible to record the sound.. but if you are driving in the car it is plain as day.

I recently put the Conti DWS06+ on ... are yours fairly new ?

My feeling was that perhaps it is "on the road" (like rolling on the tires) that is the problem, vs. "Up on the lift" ... I need to rev up the car in my garage and see if I can hear it, but neighbours are going to think I am an sshole

I don't hear anything standing in front of my engine bay.

Otherwise our cars are completely different builds so we won't likely have much parts in common.

I'm either like my engine is Fcked with no lights or codes, or my PRL RMM just broke in after 9 months or I have an exhaust leak or something... but it's more like a resonance as you say.

For me it's like 3800 rpm in 3rd gear especially, or 2800 rpm in 4th gear.

The car just feels lumpy or rough, which you could put down to the PRL RMM, but I'm wondering if my tires /wheels are messed up, or if my engine is warped AF or what

Good luck!

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I recently put the Conti DWS06+ on ... are yours fairly new ?
Yeah, it's that flutter/beaming sound. And I did recently put in my Contis...about 3000 miles on them so far. That might be the culprit then. 😂

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What size are you running?

I'm on 18 x 9.5 +35 Superspeed rims and 255/35

I just watched this on Tire Cupping... :(

All the comments on this one are like "Cupped tires, bad suspension, get that fixed"

Reaons for that happening is alignment or bad suspension

if my suspension has killed my new tires in 3000 km I will be pissed.
I have been waiting to buy new coilovers in maybe a month
My right OEM rear suspension has been clunking on rough roads so it's probably done.

Check your tires like some of those videos,
I'm going to do the same...

Another example,
dude said he replaced his rear tire and it went away

Last edited:

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My left rear suspension has been squeaking a lot on bumps, but my tires look okay, not cupped (or at least not yet).

My driver side axle has been popping rarely, bought it into the dealer before I replaced my tires and they found a tear in the boot but the axle was fine, so they just replaced the boot.

I was able to get my dashcam video and the sound is WAY more prominent here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The more I listen to it, the more it strikes me as just tire noise hitting at the right speed and such, but I feel so paranoid lol

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was able to get my dashcam video and the sound is WAY more prominent here.
It wasn't obvious to me until I got my headphones on,
it sounds like a pulse every 1-1.5 seconds, I counted like 12 pulses in your video ?
is that what you are experiencing?

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It wasn't obvious to me until I got my headphones on,
it sounds like a pulse every 1-1.5 seconds, I counted like 12 pulses in your video ?
is that what you are experiencing?
Yeah! Pulse is the perfect word for it, lol. I couldn't find the right word.

Xpli

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (White Orchid)
Country flag
2018 here with 40k miles, factory tires still (worn down to 3/32 currently, looking to buy some better tires and wheels here soon). They are balanced, evenly worn, and I also get this noise at high speeds. Only on the highway really. I chalked it up to loud tires / worn out tires. They are worn evenly inside and out, and I inspected it from the side for cupping and they look alright, going to see how it sounds when I get new tires put on.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a look at my tires... as best I could from the sides, feeling into the inner surfaces, and then looking better at the rears from ground level under the bumper... and I don't see any obvious signs of cupping in my case.

However, either way definitely a learning moment for me, I'm going to prioritize getting my suspension updated before it does potentially trash my new tires.

Still no idea what is making my wuh-wuh-wuh ... still, no news might taken as good news

Hope you have better luck

OP
OP
NixChixFix

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I had a look at my tires... as best I could from the sides, feeling into the inner surfaces, and then looking better at the rears from ground level under the bumper... and I don't see any obvious signs of cupping in my case.

However, either way definitely a learning moment for me, I'm going to prioritize getting my suspension updated before it does potentially trash my new tires.

Still no idea what is making my wuh-wuh-wuh ... still, no news might taken as good news

Hope you have better luck
Yeah, I took it in for an alignment just in case and he said that it was in need of one in that wheel, but the sound didn't go away. He didn't notice any cupping or wheel bearing issue either, so it might just be the tire.
Sponsored