First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey All,

Been getting this weird whirring noise that happens every now and then for the past month and a half and I can’t figure out what is the cause. Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

I get the noise randomly so its hard to really replicate it on the fly but I noticed that it happens usually within the first 5-10 mins of a drive and goes away after some moderate breaking before coming to a stop. Today was the first time that it randomly started as i was cruising around 40-50mph and went away after i stopped at a light. I have a vid that shows the sound.

i thought maybe it might be a rock stuck between the brake shield and rotor but it sounds nothing like it when i did have that happen to me. Maybe its my pads being worn down? I still see i have some life left in the front and rears.

This doesnt happen all the time but it is annoying when it does and is driving me insane. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

Link to vid:

Also attached a pic of my rear pad in case it might be just worn brakes

Honda Civic 10th gen Weird and Random Whirring Noise 2B08C60C-2FCD-418F-A7D6-7921EE303FE8
Sponsored

Naujftp

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm having this exact problem did you ever figure it out ?

OP
OP
slw_as_fk.8

slw_as_fk.8

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm having this exact problem did you ever figure it out ?
Hey! Yeah it was the rear pads. They were worn out and the wear indicator was tapping against the rotors. I replaced the pad and rotor and haven’t had the noise since.

Kind of a bad pic but you see the little metal tab thats against the rotor. I just found it weird initially that it only made the noise sometimes and not constantly since its just being grinded against the rotor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Weird and Random Whirring Noise CFBD1F89-9D35-478D-8882-37FBB3C805ED

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah probably just got to the warning indicator and sound might have been intermittent since back brakes don't get used as much as front.

How many miles do you have on car? My 05 EX had rear drum brakes which I never replaced selling it around 140k miles.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
It sounds like the "squealer tab". Basically a wear indicator that rubs on the disc when the pads get low.

OP
OP
slw_as_fk.8

slw_as_fk.8

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah probably just got to the warning indicator and sound might have been intermittent since back brakes don't get used as much as front.

How many miles do you have on car? My 05 EX had rear drum brakes which I never replaced selling it around 140k miles.
Yup! I was at around 24.5K miles. The rears were more worn than the fronts which i was surprised to see but i read somewhere on the forums that could be the case due to the e-brake but honestly idk.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Dang that's weird. Never heard of rears wearing quicker than fronts. Do you use the brake hold for inclines? I leave that off myself.

OP
OP
slw_as_fk.8

slw_as_fk.8

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dang that's weird. Never heard of rears wearing quicker than fronts. Do you use the brake hold for inclines? I leave that off myself.
Nope, i never really liked using it so i had it turned off since i had the car.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Common on the Type Rs cause they use the rears as part of their driving dynamic. I'm gentle on my car and the rears still wore out faster than the fronts. 42k on the original front pads and already had to replace the rears a few thousand miles ago.
Sponsored