Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all! I've been modifying my civic for awhile trying to improve its performance any way I can. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the K20C2 out of the 2018 LX-P model with CVT. Long story short, I'm looking at easy ways to cut down on weight (yes a diet is a good idea too). For those that have gone and done weight reduction, what are some of the ways you've cut down?

Things I've 'deleted' so far:
Rear seat
Spare Tire
Intake Resonator
Replaced factory hood with a Carbon Fiber one
Couple other small carbon fiber pieces
Factory Air Intake
Factory Suspension

Things I've added:
BMSpec Front Splitter
Canards
Louvers
Rear Spoiler + duckbill extension
Aftermarket tires + rims
Godspeed Coilovers
Aeroflow Sideskirts
Downforce Solutions Diffuser
Custco Strut Bar
Invidia N1 Exhaust
RV6 Catless Downpipe
And probably a couple other small items

From the factory the vehicle weighs 2,775lbs and after weighing mine tonight it now weighs 2790 total. So 15lbs added considering I've added a considerable amount of 'downforce' is amazing to me. My goal is to diet the car down to 2,500lbs. Some things I've not done yet: AC & power steering delete, interior carpet removal, lightweight car battery, lightweight rims, carbon fiber fenders, carbon fiber doors maybe, carbon fiber trunk, remove rear louvers, sunroof delete, carbon fiber bucket seats, headliner, door panels, etc.

Weight Distributions:
Front Passenger Side: 835lbs
Front Driver Side: 885lbs
Rear Driver Side: 465lbs
Rear Passenger Side: 605lbs

These measurements were done with a full tank of gas and without me in it. I weigh about 200lbs so the car would weigh just shy of 3,000lbs. With a quarter tank or less I'm expecting the weight to obviously be slightly different.

Thank you for reading my post and I appreciate any feedback my fellow 10thgens owners may have.

-Rob

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight Reduction 142621674_420708949249912_1305889507778174368_n
Sponsored

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Is there still car left??? Lol
Some people have deleted the rear windshield wiper and motor. Might save a little weight there.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
Watched.

How did you weigh the car?

I'd also be interested to see what the factory corner weights for the FC3 is, I'd like to get as close to 50/50 as could be with a FWD car.

Also, XSPower makes a lithium underhood battery for our cars that only weighs 8lbs as compared to the stock 40lbs and the lightest wheels I could find are SuperSpeeds at 18.1lbs compared to the OEM 28lbs.

The battery is $800 though lol.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Since I'm guessing your goals are both improved handling and better acceleration have you considered adding the KTuner 2.0NA tune? That's the next route I'd go in your quest for improved performance.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Also, XSPower makes a lithium underhood battery for our cars that only weighs 8lbs as compared to the stock 40lbs and the lightest wheels I could find are SuperSpeeds at 18.1lbs compared to the OEM 28lbs.
This is how you are going to get your easiest weight drops. Battery and wheels. I know you did list aftermarket rims/tires but you didn't say which ones.

I did a ton of wheel research and lightest I could find for under 1k/wheel is WedsSport TC105X 18x8 are only 16.24 lbs each. These are not cheap though... about $600 per wheel.

Also remember that removing unsprung mass will have a greater affect on performance... After wheels, I would start to look at 2 piece brake rotors to drop more lbs.

And I would do a radio/speaker and all it's wiring delete before even thinking about power steering or AC.... just some thoughts.

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I'm guessing your goals are both improved handling and better acceleration have you considered adding the KTuner 2.0NA tune? That's the next route I'd go in your quest for improved performance.
I forgot to mention I have it KTuned with the 2.0 NA Tune. Honestly the best power modifier I've done.

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Watched.

How did you weigh the car?

I'd also be interested to see what the factory corner weights for the FC3 is, I'd like to get as close to 50/50 as could be with a FWD car.

The battery is $800 though lol.
Four car weights zero'd out then jacked onto them. I just changed my battery since the one from the factory finally died. I was considering buying that but the price deterred me as well as my car randomly dying.

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is how you are going to get your easiest weight drops. Battery and wheels. I know you did list aftermarket rims/tires but you didn't say which ones.

I did a ton of wheel research and lightest I could find for under 1k/wheel is WedsSport TC105X 18x8 are only 16.24 lbs each. These are not cheap though... about $600 per wheel.

Also remember that removing unsprung mass will have a greater affect on performance... After wheels, I would start to look at 2 piece brake rotors to drop more lbs.

And I would do a radio/speaker and all it's wiring delete before even thinking about power steering or AC.... just some thoughts.
I have F1R rims and they're rated at 25lbs a piece. I was looking at aftermarket rims for that exact reason. I understand unsprung weight lets the wheels get going quicker. The problem is for a set of super light rims + tires it's ungodly expensive. You pay for what ya get I suppose.

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there still car left??? Lol
Some people have deleted the rear windshield wiper and motor. Might save a little weight there.
The coupes don't have a rear windshield wiper luckily but does have a sunroof. I like the sunroof and unless I make it a dedicated track car I'd probably not want to remove it.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Rnice

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe (Black)
Country flag
I wonder why the LX-P is over 100lbs lighter than an Si stock?? Seems backwards. Guess the injected-sport also injected some pounds. Beefier suspension?

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder why the LX-P is over 100lbs lighter than an Si stock?? Seems backwards. Guess the injected-sport also injected some pounds. Beefier suspension?
Just the wheels alone on the si must be close to that weight difference...they are HEAVY.

Also the si ha bigger brakes, torsion bars etc. It's a miracle that it's only 100lbs more since its a much better built car all around.

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: I removed some of the sound deadening behind the plastic panels in the back, took out the carpet cover, and removed the passenger rear seatbelt along with the mounting gear. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the upper plastic panel pieces. They look like they're held on by several clips. I tried using a plastic pry tool to unclip it and it didn't work. Anyone remove the rear panels on a coupe? Thank in advanced.

Here's what the trunk looks like now. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry.

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight Reduction 146085445_491013188570975_2493152179514582460_n

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm back with another update:

I've removed the cloth trunk cover that hides access to the coupe bulbs. Also it turns out I had near 15 pounds of water that was sucked into my spoiler winglets. I weighed each winglet when I took it apart and they were near 8 pounds each! I've since plugged where I think the hold I think the water was entering through and put everything back together. The trunk is MUCH MUCH lighter now and the spoiler no longer sploshes around when I hit bumps in the road. The picture is of it halfway taken apart.

I have plans to take out the glove box, possibly the center console/armrest, the front carpeting, passenger seat maybe, and the rest of the rear plastic trims that cover the paneling in the back. The black sound deadening that is in the trunk will also be removed eventually. I'm not sure how much that weighs but I hate the way it looks and have plans to paint the bare metal.

Honda Civic 10th gen Weight Reduction 149507576_2119937898140915_5050722688386854330_n
Sponsored