weight/cargo restrictions

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag
The inside trim of the door has information on max cargo/passenger weight. It states the max is 850lbs. Is it crazy for me to think that seems a bit low? I weigh 200lbs and my wife is a little 100 pounder so with our two kids we are well under that limit. However, if i went somewhere with 4 other guys my size that would put us at around 1 ton not including anything we have in the trunk (cases of beer, food, etc).

Does this limit of 850lbs really matter?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...r-weight-limits-and-weight-capacity/index.htm

850lbs is a pretty standard number for a lot of sedans, regardless of class.

In a short answer, yes it matters, but not many people really care. Anyway if your car is past it's load capacity, you'll feel it in the way it drives/handles, so just be a bit more careful, and check tire pressures.
Definitely what he says. I've had My wife, my sister, grandma, niece, and I all in the car. It was an extremely different drive to say the least. It never felt so sluggish and stiff before.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The inside trim of the door has information on max cargo/passenger weight. It states the max is 850lbs. Is it crazy for me to think that seems a bit low? I weigh 200lbs and my wife is a little 100 pounder so with our two kids we are well under that limit. However, if i went somewhere with 4 other guys my size that would put us at around 1 ton not including anything we have in the trunk (cases of beer, food, etc).

Does this limit of 850lbs really matter?
I have a little to add to this: I think there is something "lawyer" jargon on the matter but I can't prove it yet. Basically someone has put that number in there for certain scenarios to cover the liability of automakers. For instance, check this page out in the manual. The 2.0L Civic has a maximum load weight of 680lbs. Ummmmm this isn't a Lamborghini. There are five (5) seats. 680/5 = 136lbs....wait. It just hit me. This manufacturer is of Japanese origin. Check out the screenshots:
Honda Civic 10th gen weight/cargo restrictions Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 10.37.57 PM
Honda Civic 10th gen weight/cargo restrictions Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 10.42.18 PM

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
So which on is it for a 2.0 L 2017 EX. Why would the 1.5 L be able to carry 850 vs 680?

Aegis7

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic hatchback ext
Country flag
Didn’t know this until now. But I don’t think it will be a big issue since not all the time you are max loaded right? I mean, a 1000lbs run won’t cause big trouble?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
There are engineering safety factors that are several times beyond the rated limits.

On something completely stationary, like a table holding something up, it'll usually be 2x. Moving components, like a car, I wouldn't be surprised if it were 3-4x. Elevators are like 8-10x.
Sponsored