SiR_mixalot

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 1995 Mazda Rx-7
Country flag
Please redirect if this topic has already been covered...

I just moved to south Texas and it is HOT! My car's AC can barely keep up. Right now the outside temp is 93F and I just went on an hour long drive and my car is still uncomfortable to sit in with the AUTO AC set to 65F.

Is this normal? I know Honda's generally do not have strong AC systems, but this is pathetic. Its like it can never keep up. On the rare occasion when it is around 80F it can adequately cool the car, but get over 84F and all bets are off.

When I bought the car (I am the second owner) the AC was not working on the test drive. The dealership recharged the AC before I took delivery of the car. They tested for leaks and assured me I had none.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal before I take it to a mechanic.
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I been experiencing this too. Did you try replacing your cabin air filter yet? I never cleaned my k&n filter out until 2 days ago and it ran cooler somehow. Maybe it’s because I only let it get 90% dry before I had to stick it back it in. The ac will work better if you can drive 70-90mph on the highway consistently. I recently moved closer to Austin and it’s harder to get up to speed with the slow roads. I wonder if there’s any bigger aftermarket condensers I could add to the car.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I’ve been having this issue for the past year. I think the AC system is poorly designed. It’s really annoying that I have to blast the AC system in order for it to work decent. My wife’s Corolla has a way better AC system that blows colder and nicer. Even my father in laws 94 Nissan pickup truck has a better AC system.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
To be honest I’ve had no problems with my AC I live in south west Florida where you need air conditioning probably 10 months out of the year the AC is always on in my car even at 3am in the morning on my way to work. by November it starts cooling down a little. My 2014 Elantra had problems keeping cool

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Ever since my compressor and condenser got replaced, my AC system has been a lot better than when I got the car brandnew from the dealership.

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mine is weak too, and I live in Utah where the summer has been hitting over 100F rather regularly. My wife's Equinox starts blowing cold air almost immediately, but mine will take 15 minutes of driving before it's cold enough to make a difference. With all of the condenser warranty talk going on, I'd like to give that a shot to see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP

SiR_mixalot

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine is weak too, and I live in Utah where the summer has been hitting over 100F rather regularly. My wife's Equinox starts blowing cold air almost immediately, but mine will take 15 minutes of driving before it's cold enough to make a difference. With all of the condenser warranty talk going on, I'd like to give that a shot to see if it makes a difference.
Just read up on the warranty. I may call up Honda tomorrow to see if I can get the car looked at. Hopefully they will entertain the warranty. Personally I have never dealt with a warranty, but have heard dealers can drag their feet on them.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please redirect if this topic has already been covered...

I just moved to south Texas and it is HOT! My car's AC can barely keep up. Right now the outside temp is 93F and I just went on an hour long drive and my car is still uncomfortable to sit in with the AUTO AC set to 65F.

Is this normal? I know Honda's generally do not have strong AC systems, but this is pathetic. Its like it can never keep up. On the rare occasion when it is around 80F it can adequately cool the car, but get over 84F and all bets are off.

When I bought the car (I am the second owner) the AC was not working on the test drive. The dealership recharged the AC before I took delivery of the car. They tested for leaks and assured me I had none.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal before I take it to a mechanic.
Welcome to the shit a/c club. You're definitely not alone. Sadly the club has thousands of members. The a/c has to be worst part of our cars. R1234yf is responsible for leaving many civic a/c systems in shambles thanks to it's extremely high corrosivity. R134a was such a superior refrigerant. Curse environmental regulations....and honda cost-cutting.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned Hondas on and off since '84, and their A/C systems have never been great. The 10th gen is no exception and if temps are really hot like in the 90 degree range, it takes forever to cooldown the interior.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It sucks hard. I’ve thought about rigging up something custom. One plus of aviation, our shit may still be toxic and hurt the planet, but it works damn good.

OP
OP

SiR_mixalot

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I should update this thread... I think my system has a leak. I realized the other day that the driver's side is blowing hot and the passenger side is still blowing cold (somewhat). My local Honda dealership quoted me $120 just to diagnose and will not offer a loaner vehicle for repairs. I am currently waiting to either finish installing the engine on my other car or for my work schedule to die down, so I can catch rides from my roommate.

If this were R134 I would be diagnosing and repairing it myself, but the cost in tools and refrigerant for this R1234yf junk and Honda's condenser recall has me waiting to take it to the dealer first.
Sponsored