Waze Navigation Instructions on Instrument Cluster LCD (Android Auto)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
I've been using Android Auto since I bought my Sport Touring last month, and was pleasantly surprised that Google Maps shows navigation instructions on the instrument cluster screen in almost the same way the built in navigation does.

I could swear I remember Waze doing it too, but it seems to have stopped working (assuming it ever did). Now when I change the instrument display to "Navigation" while Waze is running it just shows the compass that usually displays when you don't have a destination programmed.

Did waze ever show the upcoming turns in the gauge cluster, or am I just misremembering? If so, how do I get them back?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RYSBRNR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2017 Accord Sport SE, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
Country flag
It definitely does good sir. My recollection is that turn by turn directions is selectable in the settings menu, but I haven’t looked in a long time. It’s there though. It’s also selectable via the left side steering wheel controls (where you select range and fuel economy, boost pressure gauge and all that other stuff).

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, Waze directions via Android Auto to the dash work on mine as well. It sometimes shows a blank symbol for a roundabout (showing only the distance to said roundabout), but otherwise it's good.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Thanks, good to know! I probably just disabled it accidentally while screwing around with various settings. I’ll play around with it and post when I figure it out.

messenio

First Name
Tevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm with OP, I can definately attest to Waze showing navigation on the cluster screen sometime in the past, but now it's not working. Still works with Google Maps though.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
It definitely does good sir. My recollection is that turn by turn directions is selectable in the settings menu, but I haven’t looked in a long time. It’s there though. It’s also selectable via the left side steering wheel controls (where you select range and fuel economy, boost pressure gauge and all that other stuff).
Yup, Waze directions via Android Auto to the dash work on mine as well. It sometimes shows a blank symbol for a roundabout (showing only the distance to said roundabout), but otherwise it's good.
Hmmm...could I trouble you to confirm that it's still working for you? And if so, which version of Waze you're using? I dug around in all the settings and wasn't able to find anything that would fix it (either on the phone or in the car) and it looks like I'm not the only one having this issue...

I've posted a question about this issue on the Waze forums; I'll post updates as I figure this out.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whoa, I stand corrected.

Checked it today and OP's right- does not work anymore. TbT directions work fine for Google Maps, but the dash does nothing when I switch to Waze.

RYSBRNR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Huh... did they do a settings update to either Waze or the head unit? Mine has never been serviced and I’ve never connected it to WiFi so it’s likely a Waze issue, right? I know the icon for turn by turn is still buried in the dash apps But now that you mention I don’t think I’ve seen the turn by turn indication in a while. I’ll try to check tomorrow and if it’s working I’ll let you know.

RYSBRNR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, it wasn't working on my dash either this morning so I pulled the phone out, opened Waze on the phone itself and put in my destination then plugged it back in. Worked perfectly after that. If it's just an Android Auto update, my phone should be doing that automatically... I might buy a new one

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Plot twist: I updated Android Auto to 3.6.583534 and Waze TbT icons are back on the dash.
So, it wasn't working on my dash either this morning so I pulled the phone out, opened Waze on the phone itself and put in my destination then plugged it back in. Worked perfectly after that. If it's just an Android Auto update, my phone should be doing that automatically... I might buy a new one
Interesting...I’ll check my updates and see if that helps.

FYI I’m pretty sure you can set your apps to update automatically (in the Play store I think) without buying a new phone. Unless it’s just being buggy. Even then I’d recommend backing everything up and doing a factory reset before buying a new phone.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, it wasn't working on my dash either this morning so I pulled the phone out, opened Waze on the phone itself and put in my destination then plugged it back in. Worked perfectly after that.
I think you're on to something here... Prepping the destination in Waze before connecting the phone to your car seems to enable the directions, which are absent when you choose the destination through a phone already connected through Android Auto...

RYSBRNR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you're on to something here... Prepping the destination in Waze before connecting the phone to your car seems to enable the directions, which are absent when you choose the destination through a phone already connected through Android Auto...
You can’t argue with that... it’s science.
Sponsored