Ways to reduce flexing/vibrating ABS Dynamics Type Spoiler at high speeds?

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2019 LX Trim
Country flag
Hey everyone,

So I have a 2019 Hatch that has the Type R Vortex Generator / Fins installed, as well as the ABS Dynamics Type R Replica Wing installed. So I have the somewhat known issue where the center of the wing looks like it's shaking/vibrating when going around 65+ MPH around other cars and really want to know a way to reduce the way it shakes on the highway. I got it professionally installed and it's definitely secured in place.

So one solution I had was to just buy one of these stabilizers for the wing (https://www.tnaauto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=V-039), but they kind of make the wing more extra than it already is to be honest so I don't really want to go with that option if possible. So I was wondering if those of you that have ABS Dynamics wings installed that have faced this issue could give some suggestions to stop it from shaking so much at high speeds. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WolfTrax17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Nope. It's just something I have learned to deal with. Unfortunately the upper piece of my wing on both sides have become loose. I can't do anything to fix it because the screw to tighten it is inside the base pieces which have been permanently secured to the hatch

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Would it be possible to mold a piece of aluminum to the underside of the wing?

OP
OP

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would it be possible to mold a piece of aluminum to the underside of the wing?
Not sure to be honest, adding weight to the middle piece was something I thought about but I'm not sure how to do it discretely.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Not sure to be honest, adding weight to the middle piece was something I thought about but I'm not sure how to do it discretely.
I was thinking about making it more rigid

Jeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Hey everyone,

So I have a 2019 Hatch that has the Type R Vortex Generator / Fins installed, as well as the ABS Dynamics Type R Replica Wing installed. So I have the somewhat known issue where the center of the wing looks like it's shaking/vibrating when going around 65+ MPH and really want to know a way to reduce the way it shakes on the highway. I got it professionally installed and it's definitely secured in place.

So one solution I had was to just buy one of stabilizers for the wing (https://www.tnaauto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=V-039), but they kind of make the wing more extra than it already is to be honest so I don't really want to go with that option if possible. So I was wondering if those of you that have ABS Dynamics wings installed that have faced this issue could give some suggestions to stop it from shaking so much at high speeds. Thanks!
Is the vibration really bad?

OP
OP

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is the vibration really bad?
I only see it in action when I'm on the highway above 65 MPH like many other people with the replica wings. If I look at my center mirror I can see the top part flap like a proud bird and it personally gets on my nerves. I'm not really sure if it really is that bad from the perspective of somebody driving behind or around me, but it definitely makes me OCD about it. I might just put on the stabilizers in a few days and call it a day.

Reactions: Jeh

Jeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I only see it in action when I'm on the highway above 65 MPH like many other people with the replica wings. If I look at my center mirror I can see the top part flap like a proud bird and it personally gets on my nerves. I'm not really sure if it really is that bad from the perspective of somebody driving behind or around me, but it definitely makes me OCD about it. I might just put on the stabilizers in a few days and call it a day.
I'm about to install mine and if it's as annoying as you claim, I'll probably do the same.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Here's another members on here, I think the stiffiners look dope

Honda Civic 10th gen Ways to reduce flexing/vibrating ABS Dynamics Type Spoiler at high speeds? Screenshot_20181203-204824

Reactions: Jeh
OP
OP

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's another members on here, I think the stiffiners look dope

Screenshot_20181203-204824.png
Thats not as bad as I thought tbh lol, I also found a person on instagram who had the stabilizers I linked above -

I just ordered mine and think I'll get it painted because it comes primed and looks kind of chalky black in person if you don't paint it.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably a reason to take it off. If it flys off and hits someone's car you're liable for what happens and you can can get sued for anything nowadays

OP
OP

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably a reason to take it off. If it flys off and hits someone's car you're liable for what happens and you can can get sued for anything nowadays
Nah it definitely won't fall off, it's secured pretty good and reinforced. I forgot to also mention that if there aren't any cars near me the center piece is perfectly fine, but if I'm driving behind somebody, or especially driving near a big carbo truck, it starts to flex due to the wind pressure coming from the cars around me. I guess the replica wings don't have as much weight to them inside the center piece in comparison to the actual type r wing

RiGalFK7

First Name
Rigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX-L 2018
Country flag
Hey everyone,

So I have a 2019 Hatch that has the Type R Vortex Generator / Fins installed, as well as the ABS Dynamics Type R Replica Wing installed. So I have the somewhat known issue where the center of the wing looks like it's shaking/vibrating when going around 65+ MPH around other cars and really want to know a way to reduce the way it shakes on the highway. I got it professionally installed and it's definitely secured in place.

So one solution I had was to just buy one of these stabilizers for the wing (https://www.tnaauto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=V-039), but they kind of make the wing more extra than it already is to be honest so I don't really want to go with that option if possible. So I was wondering if those of you that have ABS Dynamics wings installed that have faced this issue could give some suggestions to stop it from shaking so much at high speeds. Thanks!
Well, I can´t stop seeing back at the wing now that I know how much it vibrates and its getting on my nerves, so... I tried several ways of reducing the vibration using 2 bags of sugar (1 poung each) attached to the wing (yeah... super scientific I know). First, adding all the weight at the center of the wing reduces the frequency of the vibration but the amplitude was really bad... it was like comparing the flapping rate of a hummingbird against a much bigger bird, it was really noticeable. Then I used the bags in the positions those wings stabilizer would be, this helped a lot, distributing the weight along the wing and not just at the center dampens the vibrations in a major way, but... it still vibrates when going on bouncy roads. I think the best way we have to get completely rid of any vibrations for now is to get the stabilizer

OP
OP

riddhe919

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I can´t stop seeing back at the wing now that I know how much it vibrates and its getting on my nerves, so... I tried several ways of reducing the vibration using 2 bags of sugar (1 poung each) attached to the wing (yeah... super scientific I know). First, adding all the weight at the center of the wing reduces the frequency of the vibration but the amplitude was really bad... it was like comparing the flapping rate of a hummingbird against a much bigger bird, it was really noticeable. Then I used the bags in the positions those wings stabilizer would be, this helped a lot, distributing the weight along the wing and not just at the center dampens the vibrations in a major way, but... it still vibrates when going on bouncy roads. I think the best way we have to get completely rid of any vibrations for now is to get the stabilizer
Forgot to update this post, but the best way to fix this is to just buy a used type r center wing piece to replace the floaty abs dynamics center piece. The difference in weight between the oem center piece and the replica is like night and day. Usually people who got the oem carbon center piece will have one lying around in their garage so try to reach out on the forums to get one. Mine costed about $300.

mike_eee

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatch , 2004 tundra supercharged
Country flag
Forgot to update this post, but the best way to fix this is to just buy a used type r center wing piece to replace the floaty abs dynamics center piece. The difference in weight between the oem center piece and the replica is like night and day. Usually people who got the oem carbon center piece will have one lying around in their garage so try to reach out on the forums to get one. Mine costed about $300.
Was it an easy swap ? Or should I remove entire wing to replace it ?
Mike
Sponsored