Ways to add a little performance without tuning?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There is no true SPORT mode on non-Si's. It's strictly a transmission setting that keeps the revs higher. Yes, it offers better engine braking and by keeping the revs higher it may feel quicker in certain situations at the expense of MPG's. I prefer just leaving it in D and letting my foot do the talking. Then again, I'm tuned. ;)
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming you're not going to tune it as you mentioned:
+ Add rear sway bar
I think you meant upgrade the stock rear sway bar. :)

Last edited:

MDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5 CVT
Country flag
So the paddle shifters only function when shifted to “s”?
No. They work in any mode Econ, D, S, Econ/S.
Paddle shifters work great in D mode, but in sport mode they are actually next to useless because
1) S is already in a lower "gear", the ratio closer to optimal power and it reacts faster to what foot does, compared to D.
2) More importantly, touching a paddle while in S mode switches trans to "manual" mode, i.e. it sticks to a selected virtual gear unless you touch a paddle again (or you let rpm become too low or too high). Driving CVT in a purely manual mode is plain stupid.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you meant upgrade the stock rear sway bar. :)
:) Good catch! I've updated my post to reflect that a sway bar from Progress or Type-R will work (similar thickness).

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Man, these threads all repeat the same thing over and over again by the same people.

Jeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
You should be unclicking the econ and putting the car is Sport mode.
Putting the car in sport mode deactivates eco mode fyi
Souce: 19 hb sport

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Where'd you get that? Doesn't sound like it's actually from Honda. The Sport Mode refers to the Sport button on next to the shifter. I believe the "S" on the transmission selector is for "Shift", possibly. No where in the manual does Honda refer to "S" as "Sport Mode" but Honda does make several references to the actual Sport Mode button as such.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ways to add a little performance without tuning? ATGG1818OM PDF (1)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:) Good catch! I've updated my post to reflect that a sway bar from Progress or Type-R will work (similar thickness).
Bang for the buck, I think that upgrading the bar to the Si rear sway bar may be good enough for the stock base turbo models. I got mine for like $80.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Strip the car of all unneeded weight. Such as seats, floor & head liner, carpets, center console, door trim, hood and trunk, spare tire, quarter gas tank, and empty the bladder

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
So the paddle shifters only function when shifted to “s”?
they work in D as well. Well. I'm able to downshift in D with the paddle shifters

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had the EX-T, There was a noticeable gain with the higher octane. I tried to run Shell 93 Nitro when possible as it just seemed to run smoother and respond quicker than the other brands.

I also noticed a small gain from the PRL Stage-1. I didn’t have any fit issues with the hoses. The gain wasn’t just my imagination, I remounted the stock intake before I took her in to trade and it just wasn’t as responsive.

Both these gains are small, but every bit helps if you don’t want to tune it.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The S mode on the CVT stands for “Sequential “ mode, it does make the CVT more responsive, but also makes it behave more like a regular gear box, adjusting in fixed steps.

This was cleared up by Honda Pro Jason interviewing a Honda project engineer. The link was here in the forums, but it was like 2 years ago.

If you want to come off the line quicker, S mode is the ticket. I used it to launch in autocross, then switched to D, but I didn’t have paddles.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just get a ktuner and mess with the quick adjustments to improve turbo and throttle response. It will get rid of the cbvt rubber band feel. Also, Ive been running ktuner 21 psi for a while with no issues. You wont regret it

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Downpipe would be surfire way to increase on stock ecu with no tuner. Back when vits page was still viewable he mentioned how the spooling and boost would "outrun" the ecu control slightly giving better spool and more boost without commanding it to happen.
Sponsored