Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Has anyone done a water to air intercooler?

I do a lot of idling and straight to full throttle. It's causing a severe loss of power. Its causing me to be unable to keep up with the pack. Engine temps are acceptable but the IC is getting heat soaked.

It's still the stock IC and I'm planning an upgrade shortly

Would I be better off adding a tank for fluid spray? It's not always feasible to use a garden sprayer
Sponsored

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag

I do a lot of idling and straight to full throttle. It's causing a severe loss of power. Its causing me to be unable to keep up with the pack. Engine temps are acceptable but the IC is getting heat soaked.

Would I be better off adding a tank for fluid spray? It's not always feasible to use a garden sprayer
I'm interested in this subject as well..

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i guess you could fab up a line with sprayers mounted on the intercooler from the washer tank; put a valve on it so you can close it when you need it for spraying the windshield and not the intercooler vice versa.
probably use a washer fluid that is higher in alcohol/methanol type or a water/rubbing alcohol 50 50 mix.

ive seen this done at tracks ive been to over the years(drag racing).

definitely cheaper than an intercooler if you are just drag racing.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

I did try this before. Just know that its not a lot of space down there to angle the nozzles to cover the entire intercooler.

I used a basic windshield wiper kit from amazon. Was like $30 at the time. Comes with the reservoir, pump, hoses, switch, a few brackets and wiring.

You'll need a few extra parts to make it look clean and perform more efficient though.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
The system is too complex and expensive with good components , and to be honest if you upgraded just the intercooler it will change the consistency and will keep the temps lower , try to get a decent size of intercooler, the Mishimoto is the top list and it came with piping . The main problem also the intake maf and hoses heat soak due the hot air coming from the radiator blow straight to all the intake piping and box , that why the car get heat soaked easily when you are idling . Try to heat wrap the maf and the maf house , charge pipe if you have aftermarket. Do not do the charge pipe if you’re using oem . Get a downpipe blanket or heat wrapped , also turbo blanket and get rid of the oem heat shields .

Honda Civic 10th gen Water to Air Intercooler? 4421AA16-0BA2-4570-89A5-96DB02E6CEB0

OP
OP

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
The system is too complex and expensive with good components , and to be honest if you upgraded just the intercooler it will change the consistency and will keep the temps lower , try to get a decent size of intercooler, the Mishimoto is the top list and it came with piping . The main problem also the intake maf and hoses heat soak due the hot air coming from the radiator blow straight to all the intake piping and box , that why the car get heat soaked easily when you are idling . Try to heat wrap the maf and the maf house , charge pipe if you have aftermarket. Do not do the charge pipe if you’re using oem . Get a downpipe blanket or heat wrapped , also turbo blanket and get rid of the oem heat shields .

4421AA16-0BA2-4570-89A5-96DB02E6CEB0.jpeg
I've got the PRL intercooler and tubes in the mail. Will that help?

I'm considering getting the titanium inlet pipe and race MAF housing. Would insulating the inlet pipe and turbo help? The blankets are expensive but if it makes a difference I don't mind

I've also got the catted Downpipe otw

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I've got the PRL intercooler and tubes in the mail. Will that help?

I'm considering getting the titanium inlet pipe and race MAF housing. Would insulating the inlet pipe and turbo help? The blankets are expensive but if it makes a difference I don't mind

I've also got the catted Downpipe otw
Yes absolutely! Doing all that it would definitely help ! If you can get the blankets better but if not using the titanium heat wrap works good too.

OP
OP

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Yes absolutely! Doing all that it would definitely help ! If you can get the blankets better but if not using the titanium heat wrap works good too.
Can the blankets be installed after the parts or do I need to do them at the same time?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Can the blankets be installed after the parts or do I need to do them at the same time?
Is better to do all at once , otherwise is going to be very difficult to install .

OP
OP

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Is better to do all at once , otherwise is going to be very difficult to install .
Oof, ok thanks. Which blankets are the most important? Which blankets will cause premature wear and tear?

I noticed a few downpipe manufacturers said that they won't honor a warranty on insulated downpipes

What about some powder coat type insulation?
Sponsored