First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So all that work I did yesterday evening detailing my car and using the Water Spot remover, it still shows water spots on my car. I’m thinking it’s either I didn’t clay my car first before using the water spot remover or the product itself doesn’t live up to expectations :( kinda disappointed. I’m probably gonna take my car somewhere and get it waxed. To much work to do it by hand by yourself.
It’s all over my car. Like it doesn’t even look clean. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Water spots image

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i see you are from florida too.i usually wash my cars early in the morning then dry with a chamois before any water drops dry on the paint.looks like you have hard water as i do but im too cheap to buy a water softening system.try washing it really early and drying it before the sun comes out ,by 800 a.m. would be best.if that doesnt get rid of the spots you might need paint correction.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got finished claying my car. I think I used about half of bottle of the clay luber on my car. Started off on the wrong foot using silk shine & protectant instead of the clay luber but my car is done. Can someone please explain to me why you should clay your car? I know it gives you a slick surface to apply waxes and such but good lord it took me forever in a day!! Don’t think I want to do that again. I also bought the foam cannon 8 from Walmart today. Was gonna use that tonight but ran out of daylight. So gonna have to wait til tomorrow morning.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you may need some paint correction. A dual action polisher would help you a ton. Check some Youtube videos.
Oh, the reason you clay is to remove small particles and contaminants in the paint and prepare the surface for polishing. It shouldn't take hours. So, I think you are working harder instead of smarter. Again, check some youtube videos on claying.
If I were in your shoes I would do a wash, an iron decontamination, clay, paint correction (which will also remove the water spots), and then ceramic coating. I can do all that myself but not everyone has the ability to do so. Maybe talk with some detailers in your area. Or take it slow and learn. That's what I did. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may just be working harder and not smarter. Yes you’re right. It shouldn’t take hours to clay a car. But it’s hard to do when you don’t have a cover to put your car under. I know my arm feels like jello. I think I should leave the claying to the pros. I did notice that my car felt a lot slicker. I did wash it yesterday so I’m wondering they helped to. I know a car is an investment and you should baby it as much as possible but I really don’t like spending money on products that don’t work. I really need to watch some more YouTube videos.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Once you get the water spots removed, definitely recommend a ceramic coating on the paint to keep the surface slick and less likely to spot again. I've used both Meguiars and Turtle Wax ceramic solutions and have been very pleased with the results. Makes subsequent washes a real breeze. Also, if you can't get to a covered car wash bay, maybe invest in a decent popup tent so your car won't be prematurely drying in direct sunlight. Good luck and happy detailing.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Once you get the water spots removed, definitely recommend a ceramic coating on the paint to keep the surface slick and less likely to spot again. I've used both Meguiars and Turtle Wax ceramic solutions and have been very pleased with the results. Makes subsequent washes a real breeze. Also, if you can't get to a covered car wash bay, maybe invest in a decent popup tent so your car won't be prematurely drying in direct sunlight. Good luck and happy detailing.
I actually saw a pop up tent I want to buy off Amazon. But it’s like $144 :( I saw the Meguiars ceramic spray wax I was gonna get that. Will that be sufficient? Or should I go with Chemical Guys brand ceramic wax?

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh and did I mention I think the Meguiars ceramic spray wax with si02 in it is great. Just saw a YouTube video on someone using it. I do however have the Hydrosuds ceramic car wash soap I’m gonna use in my foam cannon tomorrow morning ????

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually saw a pop up tent I want to buy off Amazon. But it’s like $144 :( I saw the Meguiars ceramic spray wax I was gonna get that. Will that be sufficient? Or should I go with Chemical Guys brand ceramic wax?
I can only speak to what I've used and the Ceramic spray wax is outstanding. Start with the cleanest surface you can and apply a base coat after your wash. Every subsequent wash, all you really need to do is spray on the wax and rinse. The collection of water drops and the dispersing of water from the surface is nothing short of amazing.

To add: I've realized I didn't need to apply the ceramic spray with every wash and the gloss and depth of shine has held up remarkably well. And using less is more with the spray, imho.

Also, I realize your car is a dark color. That in itself poses some huge detailing challenge. Check out Pan the Organizer of Youtube - he's an outstanding detailer and knows his stuff. Watch and consider his recommendations when it comes to detailing dark colored autos.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can only speak to what I've used and the Ceramic spray wax is outstanding. Start with the cleanest surface you can and apply a base coat after your wash. Every subsequent wash, all you really need to do is spray on the wax and rinse. The collection of water drops and the dispersing of water from the surface is nothing short of amazing.
Well hopefully tomorrow I’ll get up at a decent hour before sunrise and get to washing my car. Did I mention I hate detailing my car? I would probably be a horrible detailer if I had that as my only job lol ? ??? as bad as that sounds. I clay’d the crap out of my car this evening and think I overused the clay luber stuff lol. I hope my boyfriend doesn’t ask me to clay his big truck lol. I washed and cleaned the inside of it really good but that was a chore! Took me all day!!!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well hopefully tomorrow I’ll get up at a decent hour before sunrise and get to washing my car. Did I mention I hate detailing my car? I would probably be a horrible detailer if I had that as my only job lol ? ??? as bad as that sounds. I clay’d the crap out of my car this evening and think I overused the clay luber stuff lol. I hope my boyfriend doesn’t ask me to clay his big truck lol. I washed and cleaned the inside of it really good but that was a chore! Took me all day!!!
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm weird in that I actually enjoy detailing my ride. It's like therapy for me! haha. I mentioned Pan the Organizer but I also recommend watching vids from The Car Cleaning Guru. He is super detail oriented and is like over the top in detailing the most minute detail on a car. It's therapeutic to watch his vids! But he has good tips and lessons for how to detail as well. And crack open a few beers while your detailing the car. :)

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m actually considering returning the foam cannon and using my boyfriends pressure washer he has already. He has the soap attachment so I may just used that. Didn’t really feel the need to spend $77 at Walmart on it if we already have an attachment for the pressure washer. Or I can just use my foam blaster.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
There's not much reason to actually "wax" a car when there's far better spray on sealants and ceramics available. Traditional paste wax should really only be used for specific purposes or because you enjoy it. Water spots are just something you'll always be chasing.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Jen-
I have had real good success with Duragloss water spot remover. https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-water-spot-remover.html
In fact, the entire line of Duragloss products was my introduction into detailing. I highly recommend all of them for beginners. Cheap and easy to use but still excellent performance.
Sponsored