Water/Methanol Injection 101

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
At least 3 of many videos I have seen about the CTR, the car tends to overheat sometimes for X or Y..

Coming from another brand (Vdub)- where the Water meth is used in regular basis for many turbocharged cars , I thought useful to know what is your take about this option??

Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Water injection is for cooling the intake charge to enable higher timing/power - shouldn't have any (positive) effect on lowering the engine water/oil temperature.

OP
OP
Night Fury

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
It has some other benefits..

Like you say, More power: the high-octane properties of methanol, along with air cooling properties of the methanol and water, help water/methanol systems produce more power. In addition, the cooler intake temperatures allow you to run more aggressive timing and/or boost (forced induction applications) without increasing the chance of detonation. Very CTR oriented :thumbsup:

2) Reduced chance of detonation: the lower intake charge temperatures created by the methanol and water mean less chance for engine-damaging detonation. With a good kit.

3) Low cost: water/methanol systems start around $300. AEM hopefully will bring something to the table.

4) More economical for the street: water/methanol is a less expensive high-octane alternative to pure race gas for guys running high compression engines on the street. By my house the 109 octane is $9.99 per gallon.

5) Built-in engine maintenance: in some cases, the atomized water effectively steam cleans the valves, valve seats, and even the piston tops and intake, reducing carbon buildup. This up to some extent can be true if used properly, anything in excess can damage the engine.

theSTANK75

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Dang, another water meth brand to pick from. I came looking for suggestions as to which system other people liked or were using. So far I have heard of AEM, Snow Performance, Devilā€™s Own, and now aquamist. Who is using what system, why did you pick that system and do you have any suggestions?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you Dydno'ed your car?
No I haven't. I plan to get the car dyno tuned once I get a couple other mods on the car. I am loving the water injection so far. Living in Jacksonville, FL the IATs would climb to 165+F in traffic. With the water injection, within 2 seconds of the car being in boost (I have it set to engage at 12psi), the IATs are back below 100F.

I plan to get the next nozzle size up (I'm using their 1.59GPH now and will be switching to the 2.77GPH) since the IATs were able to climb a bit (up to 120F) after repeated pulls on track at Daytona. I'm really curious if the larger nozzle will completely negate the need for an intercooler upgrade. So far I'm super impressed with water injection and highly recommend it to people living in warm climates like myself.

If I get the time, I plan to do a post about my setup as I think it turned out pretty well considering my friends and I have no experience with this sort of thing.

OP
OP
Night Fury

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
We'll be demoing a full kit we're working with in the near future. Complete tank + injectors + meth pump + regulator + fully functional piggy back ECU that allows complete control of the methanol injection. Our kit will change the way you look at methanol injection completely and everyone will want to get it especially the road racers. :)

When do you guys plan to have a prototype?

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
We'll be demoing a full kit we're working with in the near future. Complete tank + injectors + meth pump + regulator + fully functional piggy back ECU that allows complete control of the methanol injection. Our kit will change the way you look at methanol injection completely and everyone will want to get it especially the road racers. :)
If thereā€™s a 5 gallon tank you have my attention.

All the hardware was engineered and developed already by a company that specialize in piggy back ECU as well as methanol injection. This ECU a brand new clean-sheet design that was just recently finished last year and it has only begun to volume this year in 2019. What we're doing is simply applying the well developed kit to FK8 CTR. So in this case, we just need to work with them to make the plug & play harnesses. With this kit you can revert back to stock easily. More information soon. :) It will blow everything that's currently on the market away. Including Aquamist, AEM, Devil's Own... whatever whatever because all of them are partial solutions. No a single one of them has integrated ECU control.
Hope youā€™re not bullshitting with us, donā€™t be like that one vendor here lol

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Im interested in keeping an eye out for options in this area for later on down the road. I am fairly certain if I had access to the nitrous tables kpro has (but in our flash pro's obviously) I could integrate a nice setup using the factory computer without a piggy back at least in the Honda ecu. Its awesome to hear the Bosch units are having something developed. Cant wait to see results.
Sponsored

Last edited: