Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
Never removed the valve cover.

Got the car back today and it’s running fine. I somehow managed to get out of there without going absolutely ballistic after the GM of the dealership only removed the coil from my bill. Told him how generous it was to only steal $325 from me.

I’ve got a open claim without Honda Corporate, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s left such a bad taste in my mouth I’m considering trading it for something with 4WD. I’ve got other toys.
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
so the hood scoop... how many of you have taken it off? it has a rubber gasket around the edges of it and the metal thing under the hood is called a rain channel it diverts water to the engines sides. As for the Hood scoop being pointless.... myself and Mr Bateman have never really saw eye to eye but yes he is right it is pointless. it does nothing. there is even a thread somewhere on this forum and an article from Honda designers quoted as saying the hood scoop is pointless it does nothing but they had already made the presses and designs for it so they just left it on the car. I dont think it is whats leaking, maybe, but thats what the rain channel is for cause you know rain goes in there while driving. I agree with Mr bateman I think its a faulty seal. You can see from his pictures there is a seal for the top of the coil and all the corrosion is below that seal. If the seal was doing its job water would be a non issue. As thats the point of the seal isnt it? I think the dealer is just screwing him around.

Patrick, if you remember my caliper paint thread. I took to a dealer got same run around and then went to another dealer got same run around. Found out Honda uses area adjusters for claims. These adjusters cover several dealers in an area. If one dealer turned you down and the adjuster was involved then any dealer who uses that same adjuster will also turn you down. youll have to go to a dealer out side the area like I did that uses a different adjuster. I went a few counties over and then it was a non issue they took it right in and fixed it and i had full mods and tune. Just my experience your might differ. figure I would just mention. good luck Im on your side with this one. your mods didnt do jack to let water in and they are full of crap.

Edit: just saw you got it fixed, missed the post :) thats bull they charged you. Wait if they took the coil off what cost 325 dollars? the spark plug?

EvolutionFK8

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Water most definitely comes from the hood scoop. My car has been outside in the rain for the past 3 days here in Florida and I've been checking on it. Water collects beneath the scoop, and comes out of the large center hole just beneath the hood scoop once the car begins moving or when the hood is lifted.
Honda Civic 10th gen Water intrusion through hood scoop... IMG_20200821_164128
Honda Civic 10th gen Water intrusion through hood scoop... IMG_20200821_164132

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Water most definitely comes from the hood scoop. My car has been outside in the rain for the past 3 days here in Florida and I've been checking on it. Water collects beneath the scoop, and comes out of the large center hole just beneath the hood scoop once the car begins moving or when the hood is lifted.
IMG_20200821_164128.jpg
IMG_20200821_164132.jpg
interesting wonder whats different on yours. I never got water in mine.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my car is always outside when it rains since i dont have a garage and i never have water on the engine

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried this today after I washed mine. No water had gotten through onto the engine until I opened the hood, I saw a bit of it drop down as it tilted. It also dropped down further in than that picture above. More water drained out the sides of the little flap. I stuck my finger in, that center hole was dry from what I could feel.

So whatever seals are around the flap are doing their job, if you are getting water inside your engine bay without opening the hood, could be something going wrong. I'll check again next time I wash.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried this today after I washed mine. No water had gotten through onto the engine until I opened the hood, I saw a bit of it drop down as it tilted. It also dropped down further in than that picture above. More water drained out the sides of the little flap. I stuck my finger in, that center hole was dry from what I could feel.

So whatever seals are around the flap are doing their job, if you are getting water inside your engine bay without opening the hood, could be something going wrong. I'll check again next time I wash.
Shred,
Washed again yet?
Reason I’m asking is to get inspection results.
I’m close (after 7 months) to getting an RCF hood scoop from ASR (matching badges too) and am wondering if I need any additional sealing on the new scoop seat & gasket, prolly can’t hurt. I’ tighten the red cover too, (I’ve never taken it off but bet Race Chip did during testing) to prevent possible #4 pack and/or plug water damage.

I’ve been stuffing the scoop with MFTs each time I wash just for good GPs before I knew of any leaks. I saw this as scoop functional or not, water could get blasted into places air usuall goes. Makes me wonder if team H did any water ingestion testing from say triple digits to top speed? Highway speeds also of concern in massive downpours. I can calculate how much water in a good downpour will enter scoop based on area and speed. Airflow helps but quick estimate is somewhere between 2 to 4 liters pre minute in heavy rain is possible at 50 mph. Not doing public math but it can be a gush.

Appreciate any observations anyone can make, I can take certain peeps off ignore as sometimes they have interesting things to say when not abrasive.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to give it a wash tomorrow, I'll report back.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@RepyT

So yeah same thing, water dripped down when I pulled the hood open. I did it a little slower trying to see exactly where it would fall from, and it came out a little further forward on the cover. Looks to be exactly as was described above, except it only seems to do it when the hood is opened. A good test might be to put a GoPro or the like inside the engine bay and see if any water gets in too, if anyone is up for it and has the equipment

I'd say if you want to seal up any possible areas, go for it. If any of those seals get screwed up, water can get in. If they are right they do the job fine- would be best if they didn't let any water in when the hood opened but as long as that it, it's relatively minor and can be managed. Doesn't help OP in hindsight though. Also I suppose it would be good if those above who said they've never had water inside can try washing and then opening the hood- maybe the behavior isn't normal either.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I also had some water drip on top of the valve cover and decided to remove valve cover and check. It was dry inside.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@RepyT

So yeah same thing, water dripped down when I pulled the hood open. I did it a little slower trying to see exactly where it would fall from, and it came out a little further forward on the cover. Looks to be exactly as was described above, except it only seems to do it when the hood is opened. A good test might be to put a GoPro or the like inside the engine bay and see if any water gets in too, if anyone is up for it and has the equipment

I'd say if you want to seal up any possible areas, go for it. If any of those seals get screwed up, water can get in. If they are right they do the job fine- would be best if they didn't let any water in when the hood opened but as long as that it, it's relatively minor and can be managed. Doesn't help OP in hindsight though. Also I suppose it would be good if those above who said they've never had water inside can try washing and then opening the hood- maybe the behavior isn't normal either.
Shred,
Thanks for the looksee and in depth report.
I’ll check the ASR scoop to See if it’s structured any differently than OEM, use some (red) silicone on the scoop gasket. I wonder if anyone has tried like to coat (Flexseal or similar) the bottom side of the scoop and maybe the side channels at any seams? Idea being controlling ingestEd water flow to that designed for air. I know heavy rain and washing without regard (pressure washer) you could still get water on and under valve cover but maybe not on every R as not everyone finds moisture below the VC.

Scoop might arrive Friday just before autocross but will still try to do it right and take pics of areas coated for repeated or not install it until later. I want to do periodic inspections (after wash, heavy rain maybe).

I don’t have a GoPro so unless you can use an iPhone and a selfie stick, I’m not much help documenting under hood drips.
Sponsored

Last edited: