Watch video while driving

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. Because those things are still not connected to the steering, gas, or brake. There is an ECU (Electronics Control Unit) that manages a lot of that junk that is separate from the head unit. If we were talking about a Tesla, that can drive itself based on software, sure, I can see that. But this is a Civic, so no one can literally drive your car off the road via wifi.
I think you’re missing the point. The hardware is directly accessed via headunit. Just because the unit does t have a function for steering, doesn’t mean it can’t be accessed[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing the point. There is a steering column that connects the steering wheel to the front wheels. How is wifi going to control a metal steering column?
Sponsored

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I think you’re missing the point. The hardware is directly accessed via headunit. Just because the unit does t have a function for steering, doesn’t mean it can’t be accessed
I think you're missing the point. There is a steering column that connects the steering wheel to the front wheels. How is wifi going to control a metal steering column?[/QUOTE]

Yeah because the steering box isn’t electronic is it? Unless you can prove that it’s not possible, your argument is irrelevant. I’ve already demonstrated how a can can get hacked. You didn’t even watch the video did you?

What I’m saying is, I’ve talked first hand with MIT Doctorates whose job it is to find a hardware solution to cut out WiFi totally. Security keys that are manually created into the chips themselves which prevent access from third parties. Until that happens, people can and will hack into your cars WiFi system and take control

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Strawman arguments all over this thread. I am a IT professional since 2001 and a geek and script kiddie since owning a 80386 around age 14. I have hondahack loaded and have zero concerns.

This is approaching tinfoil hat area quickly.

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Strawman arguments all over this thread. I am a IT professional since 2001 and a geek and script kiddie since owning a 80386 around age 14. I have hondahack loaded and have zero concerns.

IT Pro since 2014. Agreed. Thank you.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Unless you’re the programmer who made Honda hack and can prove its harmless, my argument is totally relevant. You think an MIT doctorate is blowing smoke up my ass when he told me that it can be hacked?

Since you guys are IT pros, you should be aware of the new tech being invented as we speak, which prevents hacking of the WiFi system thus preventing control from external sources

By the way, I’ve been a programmer for 20 years and I’ve seen first hand what exactly is possible with radio waves. No tin hats here, only undeniable objective proof.

Last edited:

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unless you’re the programmer who made Honda hack and can prove its harmless, my argument is totally relevant. You think an MIT doctorate is blowing smoke up my ass when he told me that it can be hacked?

Since you guys are IT pros, you should be aware of the new tech being invented as we speak, which prevents hacking of the WiFi system thus preventing control from external sources
You're correct. I am very aware that new tech is being invented to hack wifi in cars, and that new tech is being invented to stop the hacking of wifi in cars. I am also very aware that WIFI IS NOT GOING TO CONTROL THE HUNKS OF METAL, GEARS, BOLTS, ETC THAT MAKES UP MY STEERING COLUMN. In a car that can drive itself and has an electronic steering system, this might be possible. But possible and plausible are two completely different things. And again, we are talking about a HONDA CIVIC.

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're correct. I am very aware that new tech is being invented to hack wifi in cars, and that new tech is being invented to stop the hacking of wifi in cars. I am also very aware that WIFI IS NOT GOING TO CONTROL THE HUNKS OF METAL, GEARS, BOLTS, ETC THAT MAKES UP MY STEERING COLUMN. In a car that can drive itself and has an electronic steering system, this might be possible. But possible and plausible are two completely different things. And again, we are talking about a HONDA CIVIC.
Ok buddy, you’re not even making valid point against the post you think you’re referring to. NOW IM GOING TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS TO MAKE A VALID ARGUMENT. I definitely won’t be watching this pointless thread anymore

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
this is the last post you’ll see from me here

https://cbisecure.com/blog/car-hacking-101-need-know

One of the ways hackers can hack the CAN bus system is by gaining access through its vulnerabilities, one of these being the infotainment system. By breaking into the infotainment system, the hackers can now access vehicle safety or control systems—steering, brakes, etc.

So again, unless you prove it can’t be done, especially through an app from who knows where, your point is irrelevant and frankly I’m tired of seeing kids shoot off their mouths about things they know nothing about, subjective bullshit.