samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Just finished my first wash this weekend before ceramic coating it. This car is an absolute bitch to wash ...

I usually wash all my cars myself but this is the first car I'm contemplating whether or not I should just pay someone to wash it.

It also took me about 4 hours to do 1 coat of ceramic (I ceramic'ed every paint surface on the car minus the engine bay) and another 4-5 for a second + a silicone sealant that the ceramic came with. This doesn't include any prep for paint correction.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions that can make this process a bit more easier?
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Just finished my first wash this weekend before ceramic coating it. This car is an absolute bitch to wash ...

I usually wash all my cars myself but this is the first car I'm contemplating whether or not I should just pay someone to wash it.

It also took me about 4 hours to do 1 coat of ceramic (I ceramic'ed every paint surface on the car minus the engine bay) and another 4-5 for a second + a silicone sealant that the ceramic came with. This doesn't include any prep for paint correction.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions that can make this process a bit more easier?
The wash process itself shouldn't take very long. The car's not that big. Two buckets, some microfibers and a leaf blower to dry, I can do the whole car in 30 minutes, easy. What exactly did you find difficult compared to your other cars?

Ceramic coating and paint correction, that's a whole different ballgame. But just a routine wash shouldn't be a big deal.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
My first wash and wax were 4-5 hours together but I took breaks in between. Now I can wash in about 35min and air dry it on the highway in 5min. Then wax it in a not very used public parking garage in another 2hrs or so. I have to get every inch or why even wash it.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I've had the opposite experience, wife drives a giant SUV so I always find it a relief to wash the CTR instead

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
You already did it by ceramic coating.
Next wash will be super easy. Just don't forget all the nooks and crannies around the wing.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
this is the hardest car i've ever owned to wash hands down. not because of the surface area (i have a C4 ZR-1 that I wash every time I take it out and that is a breeze to wash!) but because of all the angles and cracks and crevices and the way the sills and door jams and splitter and wings and etc etc are built into the car. i've washed my CTR probably about 15 times since i bought it last year and I don't wax it (but I do use Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax as a drying aid every time so it's super glossy and slick and protected) and of course I do the wheels too each time but it takes me 1 hr 10 mins at the very best to do the car. but it looks amazing when it's just cleaned up :)

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Just to watch you all freak out...

When I'm not feeling like taking the time to wash mine, I just go to Delta Sonic.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ugh. I'm washing mine today and am already dreading it. I need to wax/clay bar my car too but I'm waiting for a whole free weekend to where I can special coat the wheels too. I'm paranoid of jacking the car up. I'm afraid I'll break a splitter etc.

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
The wash process itself shouldn't take very long. The car's not that big. Two buckets, some microfibers and a leaf blower to dry, I can do the whole car in 30 minutes, easy. What exactly did you find difficult compared to your other cars?

Ceramic coating and paint correction, that's a whole different ballgame. But just a routine wash shouldn't be a big deal.
I guess I'm just not used to how angular this car is. I'm definitely going to have to invest in a electric blower to save on drying time. I'm already slower at washing cars due to a bad back but this one just makes it a tad bit harder lol. Hopefully I'll get used to it, and judging by how good the car looks after a few coats of ceramic, I think that's a good motivating factor ;)

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The car does suck to polish. A friend of mine is a highly skilled detailer and all he said after I bought the CTR was “good luck on detailing!”

I didn’t realize what he meant.. until I started polishing. Ugh.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car does suck to polish. A friend of mine is a highly skilled detailer and all he said after I bought the CTR was “good luck on detailing!”

I didn’t realize what he meant.. until I started polishing. Ugh.
Price we pay for functional aero? I, too, dread detailing the car.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
As much of a nightmare as it was, at the end of the day I did a full correction and ceramic coated the car. Took an entire weekend, but hey, I should be good for the next three years.

If I was doing a normal sealant and wax job on this thing, regularly, I’d hate my life LOL

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As much of a nightmare as it was, at the end of the day I did a full correction and ceramic coated the car. Took an entire weekend, but hey, I should be good for the next three years.

If I was doing a normal sealant and wax job on this thing, regularly, I’d hate my life LOL
Regular wash on my 1.5T EX-T takes me an hour. I’m thinking of getting the CTR ceramic coated for slightly less than $500 with minor paint correction at a good-rated detailer around here. The big question is how long will I keep the car for all the money I’m dumping into it. LOL

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I use an ionized water system. Unbelievable results. after washing the car I just walk away. air drying in the sun? does not matter as I am using a soap that is designed for use in direct sun. It dries spot-free every single time. The system is on wheels and is very portable. After I am done, I disconnect the hose and roll it into my garage. Does not take up much space at all.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I use an ionized water system. Unbelievable results. after washing the car I just walk away. air drying in the sun? does not matter as I am using a soap that is designed for use in direct sun. It dries spot-free every single time. The system is on wheels and is very portable. After I am done, I disconnect the hose and roll it into my garage. Does not take up much space at all.
CR Spotless? I'm an authorized retailer for CRSpotless systems, resin refills, etc...anyway yes I totally support your process! The CRSpotless water deionizer is legit! I often wash/rinse the car and stuff it in the garage wet. I don't get a totally spot-free dry if I leave it outside because of my proximity to a large soybean field...maybe once the harvest dust settles and the pollen is all gone...
That said, I do often touchless watch, Spotless rinse, and utilize the highway to blow the car dry with pretty good results.
Sponsored