Washing the Type R

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I tried the highway method to dry out the car and needless to say i won’t be doing that anymore. The car picks up so much sand and dirt in the rear that it covers the rear bumper area especially when it’s still wet. I end up having to rinse it off again. My R is black so I can see everything and have to be extra cautious.
Doh yeah I didnt' think of that. Up here it's blowing leaves, corn husks, and grass clippings.Generally not too much though so I just live with it...it's not normally much fortunately.
Sponsored

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I tried the highway method to dry out the car and needless to say i won’t be doing that anymore. The car picks up so much sand and dirt in the rear that it covers the rear bumper area especially when it’s still wet. I end up having to rinse it off again. My R is black so I can see everything and have to be extra cautious.
All I use is the I75 method. However I'm eyeing the DeWalt 60v brushless blower to dry it in my driveway. Mainly because we use the DeWalt ecosystem at work.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I know everyone says to never use a drive through wash, but I really like my ‘Hi-Speed Car Wash’ in Atlanta. They have some good wax stuff (Nitro Bond) and the goo they spray on the wheels/tires wipes down to a nice shine for the wheels. I have yet to see anything that looks like a swirl or brush mark.
I also did the G-Techniq Lite ceramic coating, (about an hour of effort) and like the results.

The only complaint I have about the Type R is the horizontal lower door sills that ALWAYS collects dirt and grime immediately on a wet road.
I don't take my CTR to the car wash, but I do the two bucket method and sometimes use the foam cannon if needed. I use Zanio car wax.
My CTR is black so it can be a pain to keep looking nice, I must say. My wife has as black Highlander and with that I mix 3 ounces of car wash with water in a garden spray bottle. I spray down the entire vehicle, then drive it to a local touchless carwash. Then give it a quick wipe down and it looks pretty darn good with little effort. I'm all about little effort

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Anyone try no rinse wash? (specifically the opti one). I feel like it would be great for washing in the garage (HOA doesn't let us wash cars so we've been going to a relative's to wash every time). I've heard a lot of people say good things about it. Planning to probably use it as my primary wash method and do a soapy normal wash every 5 no rinse washes. I have a ceramic coating on the car and this seems like the perfect way to wash and save a bit of water.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Anyone try no rinse wash? (specifically the opti one). I feel like it would be great for washing in the garage (HOA doesn't let us wash cars so we've been going to a relative's to wash every time). I've heard a lot of people say good things about it. Planning to probably use it as my primary wash method and do a soapy normal wash every 5 no rinse washes. I have a ceramic coating on the car and this seems like the perfect way to wash and save a bit of water.
I’m afraid to. What’s the process? You can’t pre rinse the car off ? I’d be worried about leaving a ton of swirls

OP
OP
samji

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I’m afraid to. What’s the process? You can’t pre rinse the car off ? I’d be worried about leaving a ton of swirls
That's what I thought at first. But a lot of respected detailers are talking about it and has incorporated them into their own cars. You still have to use a 2 bucket method, or you could do the pre-soak + 1 bucket of water. Similar to a normal soap wash, you have to rinse the mitt/sponge out before moving onto the next panel. This is ideal for people who can't wash their cars on their driveway.

The brand is called Optimum No Rinse.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I only do rinseless washing now and it is awesome

I use an electric 2 gallon garden sprayer to pre-soak the vehicle with ONR (I use a 1:16 ratio but you can go with the standard 1:256 ratio if you wanted to)

Then I use a one bucket method (2 buckets are unnecessary with ONR as the ONR drops any debris below the grit guard) with the big red sponge.

Then a spritz of Opti seal and wipe off with a dry microfiber towel. Simple and effective

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
It always takes me at least 2 to 21/2hrs to wash my Type R, if ya do it right. Which I wash the insides of my wheels and everything. Just the wheels alone take 45min. Drying the car and the wheels is what takes the most time. Getting all the water out of all the places that hold it is the biggest problem.

Deleted member 31314

I only do rinseless washing now and it is awesome

I use an electric 2 gallon garden sprayer to pre-soak the vehicle with ONR (I use a 1:16 ratio but you can go with the standard 1:256 ratio if you wanted to)

Then I use a one bucket method (2 buckets are unnecessary with ONR as the ONR drops any debris below the grit guard) with the big red sponge.

Then a spritz of Opti seal and wipe off with a dry microfiber towel. Simple and effective
This is the only way I wash my cars now, so effective and saves the need for so much water.

The only time I hit any of my vehicle with a pressure washer is usually winter when all that nasty sand builds up on the cars.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll just say that, while I love black, I regret the choice. Swirl marks galore and I don't feel like detailing. lol

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I'll just say that, while I love black, I regret the choice. Swirl marks galore and I don't feel like detailing. lol
My Dodge ram changed me forever on black cars. Now I ride that dark silver life...#PMMgang

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know everyone says to never use a drive through wash, but I really like my ‘Hi-Speed Car Wash’ in Atlanta. They have some good wax stuff (Nitro Bond) and the goo they spray on the wheels/tires wipes down to a nice shine for the wheels. I have yet to see anything that looks like a swirl or brush mark.
I also did the G-Techniq Lite ceramic coating, (about an hour of effort) and like the results.

The only complaint I have about the Type R is the horizontal lower door sills that ALWAYS collects dirt and grime immediately on a wet road.
It's because you have white. If yours was black I guarantee you would see the swirls.
Sponsored