Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I am 68 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles with manual transmission. The Civic Si is probably the worst car ever when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The jerky ride simple can not be smoothed out. Try shifting at low RPM or high RPM - doesn't matter. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Sport and automatic transmission
Rear motor mount insert fixed all that for me. No more engine flopping around during the 1-2 shift. Its awesome
Sponsored

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I have had both the CVT and the Si ... I would buy another Si but never the CVT. Mash the pedal ... Grab two sips of coffee ... and wait.

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
My 19' Si is my first manual transmission car.. Its taken a while to get used to which is frustrating.. Every now and then I get a really jerky first and second gear.. Other than that, I love this thing.. Would be really difficult for me to go back to an auto.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let’s see... 5 Zs... the Tibby... the RSX... the 9th gen... unless I’m missing one, it ought to be #9.

He’ll be fine. Whether it’s easy to learn on or hard (and I think it’s on the easy side) if the choice is drive the manual or walk... he’ll figure it out.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Back when I was in high school, my mentor at work wanted me to learn to drive manual on his old Mitsubishi Mirage 5 speed that didn't even have a tachometer LOL.

I picked it up pretty quick, but my parents weren't having it. Fast forward 5 years after I graduated college and flew the coop, I picked up a 2005 Acura TL 6mt for myself. I loved that car and it was pretty easy & fun to drive, but after several years, I wanted something newer. The 10th gen Si had everything I was looking for with a great price tag!

Let your son drive the Si. I wish my parents let me own a manual at a younger age. I would've had a greater appreciation for vehicles in general and it's definitely a rewarding experience rowing your own! I"ve driven manual G37s and Altima SE-Rs and wasn't really a fan. The clutches are heavy and the throws are long. The Si is more driver-friendly and the clutch is more forgiving.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
My first manual was the 88 Accord DX hatchback..lost that to Hurricane Andrew in 92 and bought another 88 Accord, but was an LX-i sedan. Left that in guam. 3rd stick was 00 Civic Si, got stolen TWICE after Fast and Furious came out in 01. That Si was a too small tin can as I was 35 years old with 25 extra lbs. 4th stick is this 17 Si..I'd have to say that first Accord DX hatchback was my fave, no power windows but it did come with the optional A/C..I used all of her 98 HP that's for sure!

Best advice is to learn how to drive a manual and stick with the stick until you're 70 and beyond!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
he almost rather have a Sport w/ automatic.
Oof that's disappointing. Hondas have the easiest clutches to drive on.

willburn190

Broccoli Rob
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long did it take you to get used to it?

I'm old and have been through many stick shift but the Si is for my son. He's been practicing in my G37 with a stage 2 clutch and while his left calf is growing; his confidence is not. The Si should be here the 1st week in January so he has a few more days to practice. I keep telling him that Honda makes the smoothest manuals but he almost rather have a Sport w/ automatic.
I would have gotten so many tickets if i had an si for my first car. I just turned 30 and this is by far the nicest car i have ever owned and is also my first manual. Im super jumpy in the 1st and 2nd but getting smoother every day. I think the manual is good for him though keeps one hand off the phone. But damn coming from my Fit thia thing feels like a rocket ship i cant imagine what 16 year old me would have done hahaha

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Oof that's disappointing. Hondas have the easiest clutches to drive on.
They've always been extremely driver friendly. Honda manuals can make anyone look good at shifting.

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I would have gotten so many tickets if i had an si for my first car. I just turned 30 and this is by far the nicest car i have ever owned and is also my first manual. Im super jumpy in the 1st and 2nd but getting smoother every day. I think the manual is good for him though keeps one hand off the phone. But damn coming from my Fit thia thing feels like a rocket ship i cant imagine what 16 year old me would have done hahaha
Ironically my first new car was a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was a manual, turbo, fwd, with similar horsepower. It was my first manual and my younger brother who had just turned 17 taught me. It took a few days to be proficient and a couple of weeks to tests the limits of a clutch drop. I drove it like an idiot. Hopefully, (I think) my son has a better head on his shoulders. But it's either the Si, a super-size SUV or my rwd G37 with a little over 300 HP that will break loose without traction control enabled.

cfusionpm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2013 Scion FR-S
Country flag
Ironically my first new car was a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was a turbo, fwd, with similar horsepower.
While I bought mine very, very used, my first manual transmission was similar! A 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, bought in 2004, just after high school .

My new Si is my 4th manual transmission after the Talon, a Scion tC, and Scion FR-S.

willburn190

Broccoli Rob
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ironically my first new car was a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was a manual, turbo, fwd, with similar horsepower. It was my first manual and my younger brother who had just turned 17 taught me. It took a few days to be proficient and a couple of weeks to tests the limits of a clutch drop. I drove it like an idiot. Hopefully, (I think) my son has a better head on his shoulders. But it's either the Si, a super-size SUV or my rwd G37 with a little over 300 HP that will break loose without traction control enabled.
Ya no it’s absolutely a great car him, i have a lot more money than my dad had and wouldn’t hesitate getting my son an si or something similar when he turns 16, he’s 5 months old now so i got awhile to save haha

slek9

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I learned to drive manual at 14 on a 2003 Audi S4 (thanks, dad) and my first car was a Jeep Wrangler, manual of course... auto Wranglers are not Wranglers IMO. After that, I had a 2005 Civic EX... apparently the Si, GTI, and WRX had too much power for me (damn you, dad). Thinking as a new driver, the Wrangler was by far the easiest to drive, then the EX, then the S4 simply because of when the clutch grabs. When learning to drive manual, having more give is beneficial, since you get to move slowly and really feel when the clutch engages. I would say the Si is more difficult than the Wrangler, but easier than the EX, S4, GTI, and WRX. There's enough give on the clutch to feel when you're engaged and the power is balanced that he's not going to accidentally peel out from a stop (he probably will going to 2nd, but don't hold it against him). Best advice I can give... forget the hill assist and make him practice on an incline and decline. I was fortunate that our driveway was a steep incline and that is the best way to learn manual from a stop. Once you're moving, the best teacher is time.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How long did it take you to get used to it?

I'm old and have been through many stick shift but the Si is for my son. He's been practicing in my G37 with a stage 2 clutch and while his left calf is growing; his confidence is not. The Si should be here the 1st week in January so he has a few more days to practice. I keep telling him that Honda makes the smoothest manuals but he almost rather have a Sport w/ automatic.
Lol I started manual in an 89 CRX.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My first car was a manual Datsun, ask younger people what car company Datsun became, they don’t know lol. Anyhow this Honda Si manual transmission is hands down the smoothest and easiest I’ve ever driven, love it.
Sponsored