Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Wow 18.5 seems crazy high, but I haven't even tried to shop mine. I only paid 22k new for an EX-L, could have bought a sport hatch for 19.5K at the time. Maybe I should try selling mine?

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, trade in is an area where they really tend to take advantage.

Don't reward lowballing. Buy elsewhere if you have a choice. Sounds like you do.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hi, I still have not taken delivery of the 2021 civic hatchback sport sonic gray. They are selling it for MSRP in San Diego however do not have the exact car in stock and said to give them a month. They asked for a $500.00 deposit and I used my credit card for safe measures. In the meantime prior to going to the dealership I received a message from them indicating my car should have about 5 to 6k in equity from my current lease based on the information they have. I have driven it for about 12.7k miles in total and my lease is up in December. Checking the KBB the trade in value is about 21 to 23k for excellent condition for my 2018 civic hatchback sport. The salesman said that they needed to spend 1000 dollars to recondition the car and said that about 17k was fair value to me however this is significantly lower than what I anticipated. They said they would repair it and resell it for about 20k but I’m not sure about that as on their website they are selling them for about 22k based on the average and similar mileage. I asked for 18500 and of course they didn’t budge much and stated 17300 was the best they can do. He asked if I new there were issues with the car but I literally just got it serviced last month and the service center that is a part of the dealership said everything checks out aside from a recall. So either he is lying and wanted to low call me as much as he could or I don’t know maybe I am just over thinking it as I expected higher.

When I gave a 500.00 deposit unfortunately I didn’t get anything in writing aside from a receipt and it doesn’t tell me much. It’s not supposed to be used towards the new car as I wanted to use the equity that I had to pay for the down payment.

should I just shop around and see if I can get a better trade in deal somewhere else? I see that other dealers actually have the car that I want and I didn’t sign anything that legally binds me to the car at that specific dealership. Just
I am going to do my best to not sound like an advertisement...BUT I sold my 2013 Ford Focus to WeBuyAnycar and got about $600 more than trade in value. Not quite private sell value, but they treated me extremely fair. Not sure if there are any out in your area, but you may also want to check CarMax as well.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Never pay extra for locknuts or pinstripes or any "extras", they're crazy overpriced.
Kinda unrelated to the thread, but I love to talk about it...haha. Where I purchased my Civic the sales person was kinda enough to eliminate all those costs for me except the Nitrogen Tires (not sure why those of all things). They had literally just gotten the car, did all the modifications as I was reserving it, so he honored his original price for the most part ^_^ Some sales people are cool!

_silvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi, I still have not taken delivery of the 2021 civic hatchback sport sonic gray. They are selling it for MSRP in San Diego however do not have the exact car in stock and said to give them a month. They asked for a $500.00 deposit and I used my credit card for safe measures. In the meantime prior to going to the dealership I received a message from them indicating my car should have about 5 to 6k in equity from my current lease based on the information they have. I have driven it for about 12.7k miles in total and my lease is up in December. Checking the KBB the trade in value is about 21 to 23k for excellent condition for my 2018 civic hatchback sport. The salesman said that they needed to spend 1000 dollars to recondition the car and said that about 17k was fair value to me however this is significantly lower than what I anticipated. They said they would repair it and resell it for about 20k but I’m not sure about that as on their website they are selling them for about 22k based on the average and similar mileage. I asked for 18500 and of course they didn’t budge much and stated 17300 was the best they can do. He asked if I new there were issues with the car but I literally just got it serviced last month and the service center that is a part of the dealership said everything checks out aside from a recall. So either he is lying and wanted to low call me as much as he could or I don’t know maybe I am just over thinking it as I expected higher.

When I gave a 500.00 deposit unfortunately I didn’t get anything in writing aside from a receipt and it doesn’t tell me much. It’s not supposed to be used towards the new car as I wanted to use the equity that I had to pay for the down payment.

should I just shop around and see if I can get a better trade in deal somewhere else? I see that other dealers actually have the car that I want and I didn’t sign anything that legally binds me to the car at that specific dealership. Just
They're yanking your chain, the non-Honda dealer I work at just took in a 30k mile 2019 Si for 24k and selling it for 28. Go somewhere else and get a real offer in the current used market. Remember, they need you to trade in more than you need to sell right now. It also doesn't cost more than $150 to detail a car for sale so I know he's full of shit unless you've trashed the thing.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Even 18k is low in this market, they're probably going by the Edmund's trade value. I'd recommend taking it elsewhere. I know lease rules changed but I'd try to find a way around it. You can easily get a few thousand more.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag

That sounds really low. I would sell to carmax, who is given top dollar for honda civics right now. I got quoted $26.2 for my 2020 si and will hold out until there is something worth buying and sell it.

OP
OP
aegeanbluecivic

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What about your $500 deposit you had put down?
I got confirmation it is refundable if I decide to cancel, or they fail to deliver. The salesman actually responded when I mentioned I'm going to drop by tomorrow after dropping off the car for a recall service appointment. He's okay with the refund but still pushing to get me to buy based on his response.

"What is the reason why you want to wait. You might not get a car until January or February if you wait until your lease is over. The car you ordered now will be here around the same time your lease is up"

However this is the very reason why Lease extensions exist so I don't know why he failed to mention that bit. :dunno:

OP
OP
aegeanbluecivic

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all,

so interestingly when I walked in to get my deposit I spoke with the sales manager, about 20 minutes into the conversation I came up front and honest that another dealership offered much better terms and she came back with a counter offer. I told her that I appreciated it but that the other sales guy at the other Honda dealer just had this elegance about him and then she offered an additional 12.00 off for a total of 224.00 for 10k miles for 36 months on the color that I wanted. She said since I bought prior cars with them she wants to keep our business So I was very impressed with her sincerity. I decided to go back with the original dealer and I guess it really just depends on who your salesman is. Definitely an interesting experience. That 224.00 is without add one btw so I anticipate that I’ll need to fight the finance manager once I take delivery.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Ok I think the best thing for me to do is to just pay off the car in full since I do have the funds for it, then sell it to Carvana/Carmax, whichever offers the most for it. Then purchase the car with the profits. It's a win win for me in the end! Just annoying that I have to go through this loop. Not sure how long it will take for me to get the papers that the car is in my name.
This is absolutely your best course of action. The dealer can only take advantage of you if you let them.

OP
OP
aegeanbluecivic

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright guys, I promise you this is the last update for those of you who were following the thread. The dealership actually called me today to let me know that the Sonic Gray Pearl was available! I was originally told it was going to take a month for me to take delivery so it took me by surprise. I thought to myself, okay they lowered the payment amount is this some kind of scam or am I getting a CPO or something?

I asked the sales guy what was up was this reserved for someone else who walked away from the deal and he was honest about it lol so I was next in line to inherit this sweet sweet car that is highly sought after. No funny business whatsoever, of course I went to the Finance office at the end before I could take off the lot with this majestic beast and declined everything keeping my price as what the sales manager originally offered. I told the finance guy that the other dealership offered better terms even if he was to add the karr alarm and/or the honda package so I feel I walked out with a fair deal that was good to both me and the dealership.

Thank you everyone for your help it was an awesome experience and I doubt there will be any issues with paperwork since my income increased and the monthly payment is alot smaller than my prior car before trade in. Here is the Sonic Gray next to me 2018 Polish Metal Gray.

Honda Civic 10th gen Was I ripped off on trade in? 242127935_2999834390289642_4215328223410117526_n

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
That's such a good color on these cars. Congrats on getting what you wanted.
Sponsored