Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
So I'm moving to Germany soon and Honda says they will not honor the warranty even if I take it to a Honda dealership. Honda has no exceptions for military personnel. This will is the last time I buy a Honda.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So I'm moving to Germany soon and Honda says they will not honor the warranty even if I take it to a Honda dealership. Honda has no exceptions for military personnel. This will is the last time I buy a Honda.
At what point does your military credentials have any influence on whether Honda warranties your car in Germany or not?

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
We get stationed overseas and ship our vehicles with us. What does my location have to do with honoring the warranty? There are Honda dealership over there. That's the point I was trying to make.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
We get stationed overseas and ship our vehicles with us. What does my location have to do with honoring the warranty? There are Honda dealership over there. That's the point I was trying to make.
So does any other plain John Smith who decides to move to Germany and ship his vehicle with him. Your military status is the reason you're moving but hardly qualifies you for any preferential treatment compared to anyone else that has moved to the same area. Therefore, it's actually irrelevant in this context. Just say you're moving.

With that said, I would assume them not honoring your warranty would be due to the complete difference in training, engineering and status of your US vehicle compared to European Spec models.

I'm looking at the German Honda site and they only sell the Civic in the hatch bodystyle with European specific options like pano roof, headlamp washers EuroNCAP Crash bumpers/emissions. Based on the information from the sidebar, they would have absolutely no experience regarding the Si or any knowledge of it, so they would deny warranty via overseas transfers on liability alone.

As much as you're avoiding Honda after this issue, I bet this problem would arise regardless of the manufacture.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I'll give you an example that works the other way. Say you lived in Germany on a full time basis and owned an S class with a 4 cylinder diesel that you would have no hope of seeing in the US. You move to the US and bring your car with you and expect Mercedes Benz USA to warranty it? Technicians at the dealership have never seen the car, no service manuals for it, no parts/supply chain. If any issues with your vehicle arise, why would Mercedes USA (who has absolutely NO affiliation with Mercedes DE) bother with warranty when they have to pay for a vehicle that they weren't initially responsible for.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Double Post

OP
OP
Chief 08

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I think you're missing my point. I'm not asking for "special" treatment, nor am I trying to start a pissing contest about it. The military has been shipping cars overseas for over 50 years, you would think that this fact would be considered in the manufacturer's decision making process .Also many Americans take their cars to local German dealerships for service all the time, so yes they do know how to work on them. That being said I am really looking forward to taking the Si out on the Autobahn.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
I thought warranty only works within North American, not overseas. But this is just not Honda. Every single dealership in North America has that policy that it is only covered within North America and not overseas, I could be wrong?

Contact Honda and see if they will refund you extended warranty?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I thought warranty only works within North American, not overseas. But this is just not Honda. Every single dealership in North America has that policy that it is only covered within North America and not overseas, I could be wrong?

Contact Honda and see if they will refund you extended warranty?
OP might not even be talking about extended and just the factory warranty. I'll never base my assumptions on past experiences, but if your Si breaks due to a defect in Germany, I'm still wondering how a dealership there would source parts for it. They can't use the ones off the hatch model they sell and they can't get any from American Honda...

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
OP might not even be talking about extended and just the factory warranty. I'll never base my assumptions on past experiences, but if your Si breaks due to a defect in Germany, I'm still wondering how a dealership there would source parts for it. They can't use the ones off the hatch model they sell and they can't get any from American Honda...
Why can't someone in Germany get parts for an American car? We don't have any embargo or sanctions against Germany.

I also believe it's NOT something specific to Honda that they won't honor the warranty. I couldn't tell you the exact reason, but I am sure there are legal headaches that they don't want to bother with.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Why can't someone in Germany get parts for an American car? We don't have any embargo or sanctions against Germany.
Because the regional divisions that operate within Honda are very protective of their supply chain/logistics. Go to your dealership right now and go ask for parts relating to the headlamp washers/pano roof or anything that is specific to the German models. Parts guy will look at you like you smoked something or he'll just deny you because it isn't in the system.

If OP gets warranty (which he won't in this case or any other manufacture), lets say he cracks a wheel, bends up his exhaust, fucks up the seat. At what point will a German Honda dealer have access to these Si specific parts to let alone help you. Honda Germany, if they help you would pay far more to source these parts than they would get in repeat business.

You originally bought your car in the US to begin with so Honda Germany was never better off with that particular sale. If they help you, see described scenario above. If they tell you to fuck off and you boycott the brand, they were no worse or better off because you didn't buy the car through them to begin with.

Trust me, if we could easily get parts from the dealers for vehicles made for overseas markets, we wouldn't be talking about getting clear side markers from a Thailand eBay seller or any other garbage like that. We'd just get everything through official channels.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Because the regional divisions that operate within Honda are very protective of their supply chain/logistics. Go to your dealership right now and go ask for parts relating to the headlamp washers/pano roof or anything that is specific to the German models. Parts guy will look at you like you smoked something or he'll just deny you because it isn't in the system.

If OP gets warranty (which he won't in this case or any other manufacture), lets say he cracks a wheel, bends up his exhaust, fucks up the seat. At what point will a German Honda dealer have access to these Si specific parts to let alone help you. Honda Germany, if they help you would pay far more to source these parts than they would get in repeat business.

You originally bought your car in the US to begin with so Honda Germany was never better off with that particular sale. If they help you, see described scenario above. If they tell you to fuck off and you boycott the brand, they were no worse or better off because you didn't buy the car through them to begin with.

Trust me, if we could easily get parts from the dealers for vehicles made for overseas markets, we wouldn't be talking about getting clear side markers from a Thailand eBay seller or any other garbage like that. We'd just get everything through official channels.
I made a typo in my previous post. I meant to say that it is NOT specific to Honda.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I made a typo in my previous post. I meant to say that it is NOT specific to Honda.
I bet my long ass paragraph that I just wrote applies to all car manufactures so for OP to dismiss Honda on this angle is unreasonable, and on principle is dismissing all other car manufacturers. If you're moving overseas, keep the car here, or sell it. Don't care if the military 'allows' you to bring it over, because American Honda/Germany doesn't give a shit about your military status unless you want $500 off at purchase.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag

+1.. when the Thailand OEM clear side markers were available. I called my dealer, and they said that number does not exist.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Savage thread.

OP, to put it slightly nicer, you're expecting something that's frankly a little ridiculous to expect. Especially for a car that isn't even sold in Germany.
Sponsored