Warranty work denied because P0630 (vin not programmed or mismatched) found in data stream submitted to Honda Canada for investigation. Car is unmodif

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CD5 Accord EX-R, RD5 CR-V, FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Don't know how to proceed. The dealership is showing Some semblance of trying to work with me on getting cooperate to investigate further, but sounds like it's case closed in Honda Canada's eyes.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't know how to proceed. The dealership is showing Some semblance of trying to work with me on getting cooperate to investigate further, but sounds like it's case closed in Honda Canada's eyes.
Sounds like the best thing you can do at the moment is to continuing to work with the dealer. Hope things work out for you.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
Did you purchase your CTR new, used, CPO?

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you purchase your CTR new, used, CPO?
New. First one at that dealership. Always dealer serviced on schedule. I've never touched the obd port, never seen any CEL.

Frustrating that just seeing numbers on an emailed file is enough justification for them, without investigateing any further; despite a quick look at service records, and possibly looking at the car in person may make it fully apparent that nothing has been messed with.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Wow good luck and keep us posted. This vehicle should be serviced....Unless we arent getting the full story

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
New. First one at that dealership. Always dealer serviced on schedule. I've never touched the obd port, never seen any CEL.

Frustrating that just seeing numbers on an emailed file is enough justification for them, without investigateing any further; despite a quick look at service records, and possibly looking at the car in person may make it fully apparent that nothing has been messed with.
So the dealership sent this data file, via email, to Honda Canada for investigation, without contacting you first? Interesting... What type of warranty work have are you having done?

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What type of warranty work have are you having done?
I'm assuming it's a spun bearing. Heard a tick under load, limped home and towed it to the dealer.
Dealer diagnosed it, said they had no evidence the engine was over revved, and proceeded with ordering parts.
Honda Canada intervened when the parts were ordered for warranty work and asked for the cars data stream.
Say they found codes that show clear evidence that I've been running a custom tune, and denied the warranty claim.

Once again, car is bone stock and dealer serviced.

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was musing with the service manager wether the work during the wiring harness recall could have stored these codes .

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
I'm assuming it's a spun bearing. Heard a tick under load, limped home and towed it to the dealer.
Dealer diagnosed it, said they had no evidence the engine was over revved, and proceeded with ordering parts.
Honda Canada intervened when the parts were ordered for warranty work and asked for the cars data stream.
Say they found codes that show clear evidence that I've been running a custom tune, and denied the warranty claim.

Once again, car is bone stock and dealer serviced.
I would take the legal route at that point. Assuming you are within warranty coverage range, they should be standing by that.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
i have read something like this on here b4. Talk to the regional manager, and ask them to send your ecu into corporate for a closer look. That case was finally resolved with Honda admitting to their wrong diagnose. Hope this helps, and u can try searching for that thread on here, took the OP awhile but good ending came for him.

Last edited:

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was musing with the service manager wether the work during the wiring harness recall could have stored these codes .
Sounds like a good assumption. Especially if no other work had been completed.

But doesn't sound like the dealer is trying to screw you, but Honda Canada is.. Dealer should be behind you on this one, like others have stated. I can't see a reputable dealership, with good leadership, alienating their first CTR customer, who's also been servicing their CTR there the whole time.. Just bad business.

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The tuning process doesn’t even cause that CEL. ?
Never had any CEL. These were stored in the data stream of the car, (as though I had cleared them?) And were only visible to the engineer inspecting the data at Honda.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never had any CEL. These were stored in the data stream of the car, (as though I had cleared them?) And were only visible to the engineer inspecting the data at Honda.
I'm new to the FK8 platform, so forgive me, but do the CEL's carry timestamps in the data stream? If so, I would see if that matches with the wiring harness fix that the dealership performed.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
The only way afaik you can get this code is by replacing the original ECU with another one and reprogramming the immobilizer to allow the keys to work. So by installing the ECU from another CTR. If nothing has been done and there have been no accidents, talk to Honda.
Sponsored