Warranty work denied because P0630 (vin not programmed or mismatched) found in data stream submitted to Honda Canada for investigation. Car is unmodif

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CD5 Accord EX-R, RD5 CR-V, FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm currently navigating through the labyrinth of Honda customer care phone lines.
Apparently I've already talked to the highest level possible of warranty manager; although when I was talking to him the other day, he was explaining that he usually deals with warranty claims that are near or just past claim limits.
I've asked that I be contacted by him again. That seems to be my extent of being able to stake my case to Honda Canada.
I'm waiting on the dealership's service manager to get back to me on his talks with Honda Canada.

My previous talk with the warranty manager was... Guarded, on his end. But now I know the reason the claim is denied (which he wouldn't even tell me over the phone, previously); not sure how far I'll get in convincing them that they should send somebody to actually look at the car, in person. I think I'll have to ask for the denial of warranty in writing, to start documentation.
Sponsored

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They should be able to see the vin on the ecu through the Honda diagnostic system on their computers. If they match to the vin on the body then set up a lawsuit, if they don’t match…. Something happened.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Don't make any definitive statements on your end. And start looking for a lawyer with experience in the area. Probably take a while to find a good one, better get the ball lined up.

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
You need evidence to support your claim before you lawyer up. Start with the bill of sale and every bit of the work done to the car to the present. You’re going to need proof the car is yours as well. All in all once you have what you need, I’d gather a warranty claims lawyer and explain your case. You’ll have to prove without a doubt the ECU is original to the car and that the car is unmodified not just physically but electronically. Good luck on your case and hopefully it doesn’t cost you much out of pocket in lawyer fees.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Wowdy!! ........Farewell

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is this the dealer you bought the car from? Do you have it serviced there?
Previous warranty work - do you/they have details/data from troubleshooting (there may be coded vin information in that dump to compare.)
If you have vehicle Inspections perhaps their information may help.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I'm coming back to look at this again and I'm sorry but the more I look at it the more I'm siding with Honda. This code only pops up after doing an ECU reprogram or changing the ECU, that's it. Honda's engineering department can tell if the PCM has been flashed and reflashed back to stock. A program mis-match or something similar to this will code up immediately as soon as you cycle the key once. MAYBE randomly if the car is jump started incorrectly, some sort of electrical shock to the PCM to wipe the immobilizer coding. But the story of I was just driving then I got this code and the engine exploded....ehhhhhhhh the car will still start up and run fine with this code.

Are you the original owner? Something is missing from this story.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
@DRUSA Could it happen if the dealer lost the keys?

Just trying to think of possible ways this could happen.

I could see this happening on a really dead battery. Flash and EEPROM are susceptible to soft-errors if not supplied enough power. This is a stretch though.

Perhaps, if power was cut and reapplied just at the wrong time.

It also looks like this happen to one other user.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I'm coming back to look at this again and I'm sorry but the more I look at it the more I'm siding with Honda. This code only pops up after doing an ECU reprogram or changing the ECU, that's it. Honda's engineering department can tell if the PCM has been flashed and reflashed back to stock. A program mis-match or something similar to this will code up immediately as soon as you cycle the key once. MAYBE randomly if the car is jump started incorrectly, some sort of electrical shock to the PCM to wipe the immobilizer coding. But the story of I was just driving then I got this code and the engine exploded....ehhhhhhhh the car will still start up and run fine with this code.

Come on, more to the story? That never happens with stories likes these ??

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag

He literally addresses this in the first couple of his posts ?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm coming back to look at this again and I'm sorry but the more I look at it the more I'm siding with Honda. This code only pops up after doing an ECU reprogram or changing the ECU, that's it. Honda's engineering department can tell if the PCM has been flashed and reflashed back to stock. ...
Are you saying the ECU/PCM "data stream" always indicates a flash or even a reflash back to stock? Wouldn't this then reveal prior use of a FlashPro or K-Tuner?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds like to me someone at the Stealership swapped an ECU for a friend or himself after he borked his. With the car being purchased brand new that-or some strange anomaly-are the only two explanations with the exception of the OP doing it himself. Those are the only 3 possibilities I can come up with for this situation.
Unless a used was sold for new-look at the original mileage.
Sad, I hope the OP can work this out with Honda.

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
It sounds like someone bought an extra ECU to mod one and swap back if needed but I am not casting any shadows.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@DRUSA Could it happen if the dealer lost the keys?

Just trying to think of possible ways this could happen.

I could see this happening on a really dead battery. Flash and EEPROM are susceptible to soft-errors if not supplied enough power. This is a stretch though.

Perhaps, if power was cut and reapplied just at the wrong time.

It also looks like this happen to one other user.
When the dealer loses all the keys there is a function in the HDS for "all keys lost". You just program news keys to the car and it retains the PCM/immobilizer codes, it will never lose VIN data.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you saying the ECU/PCM "data stream" always indicates a flash or even a reflash back to stock? Wouldn't this then reveal prior use of a FlashPro or K-Tuner?
Honda's engineering dept can view reflash counts/data. They can tell if the PCM has been tuned and returned to stock in an attempt to get something covered under warranty. The idea that people think Honda isn't wise to people tuning their cars when the factory backed race teams use Hondata always cracks me up.
Sponsored