Warranty work denied because P0630 (vin not programmed or mismatched) found in data stream submitted to Honda Canada for investigation. Car is unmodif

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This is the only other thing I found in the Techline forums, pertains to a MDX but it's the only other occurrence of this code. It really only happens after an ECU change.

2017 MDX Multiple warning lights on, no communication with HDS
Had 2 of these today. Like the title says, every warning light on and can't communicate with the HDS, I got a p0630 for VIN mismatch from the navigation diag screen. Found 0 volts on the F-Can wires at the DLC. The I found the fuse E21 in the passenger under dash fuse box was blown. This fuse also controls the battery fan. I checked the battery fan motor and found it has several spots where it doesn't spin freely, it won't turn at all in some spots, enough friction that it should easily blow the 7.5 amp fuse.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Looks like the only other time this has happened is when a FCAN line has been shorted out due to a component failure, in this case it was a small cooling fan for the under hood battery box. Still looking shady as to an FCAN failure causing the engine to grenade. You would have every light on the dash, no powersteering etc before it happened, and then you would have to continue to drive like that.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Seems like a good idea to go to a Pick-N-Pay and get an ECU for your year model car and then you can hack all you want (unless that data is stored elsewhere) and just pop your own ECU in there when you're not hooning on it. Of course time stamps, etc, I'm sure are recorded vs. mileage etc., so that they can tell you've been swapping...seems they could anyway.

Honda's engineering dept can view reflash counts/data. They can tell if the PCM has been tuned and returned to stock in an attempt to get something covered under warranty. The idea that people think Honda isn't wise to people tuning their cars when the factory backed race teams use Hondata always cracks me up.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Well, isn’t that just odd? These threads never turn out this way… ever. ???

OP, where you at?

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CD5 Accord EX-R, RD5 CR-V, FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry to ghost you all for a bit.

So, I just went ahead with service from the dealership and recently got my car back.

Decided to go ahead with accepting Honda's decision since taking the root of investigating it for myself presented several expenses with a pretty clouded outcome.

The "stealership ECU swap" theory others have posited has been sitting in the back of my head since deciding to move forward; but I'm not going to point any fingers, Just probably servicing it elsewhere, now.

The dealership helped me out on pricing (~$8k cad) and they also recommended a new turbo while the engine was out (play in fan on charge side).

Glad to be back in the car, but not sure how I feel about keeping it around much longer. ?

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yeah, the tech also noted some other fucky stuff. There's was some non-OE hardware on some of the intake (I think some of the EGR hoses, maybe I'll take some pics of some of you want); alternate hose clamps, that also had the heads sheared off.

Maybe I've been overconfident in some of my overnight stays at their open lot.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh yeah, the tech also noted some other fucky stuff. There's was some non-OE hardware on some of the intake (I think some of the EGR hoses, maybe I'll take some pics of some of you want); alternate hose clamps, that also had the heads sheared off.

Maybe I've been overconfident in some of my overnight stays at their open lot.
FWIW, there are some clamps on the intake that are tamper clamps (tighten to the head sheers off). I'd take a picture of mine but I may have tampered ;)

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
...The dealership helped me out on pricing (~$8k cad) and they also recommended a new turbo while the engine was out (play in fan on charge side)...
So, what exactly did they do? Swapped your engine? Swapped ECU? And a new turbo?
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I'm glad that you are back in the car and hope it keeps a big smile on your face :) Enjoy riding it......

OP
OP

whatthefit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, what exactly did they do?

New short block and turbo. Didn't get a detailed run down of damages to the block, other than "bottom end knock detected" on the service invoice.
Sponsored