Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Do engine problems get worse as you drive with a bent valve? This is something I may also want to argue with honda about.
Sponsored

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Do engine problems get worse as you drive with a bent valve? This is something I may also want to argue with honda about.
They can, for a multitude of reasons. For one, you can end up scorching your valve seats beyond repair, the lack of compression can cause extra blow-by and cause issues issues throughout from oil contamination, oil can leak past the piston rings and cause oil consumption and contaminate the catalyst/turbo, and should a valve actually begin to disintegrate you can end up with a chowdered piston and combustion chamber and more. Now that I think of it, a full engine replacement is probably your best bet.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
The piston crowns depicted and cylinder walls show signs of pretty intense heat. Either the injectors were not providing enough or the fuel pumps were not. You lost compression when the heat became so great that your exhaust valvles in #1 & #4 fell out a bit further. Prior to noticing you were burning oil you should have noticed a loss of power. If you had lossed oil pressure or fuel pressure, the ECU would have illuminated the Engine symbol and put you in LIMP mode. That's a definite, as modern ECUs are pretty darn smart. The dealer taking the car for a test drive is a standard practice. In that short drive it would be impossible to get the cylinder temps that hot on a stock tune - so that isn't it.
The signs of the pistons & valves exhibit a lot and it is also aparent that in the numerous visits to Honda that no one found any Low pressure fuel or oil codes. The timing would have been extremely pulled in an event like this as there would have been some extreme knock going on. In summation: This can also be caused by too much timing advance as well.

There is a reason cars are "under tuned" below there capability - as these 1.5L motors have extremely high Thermal and Volumetric Efficiencies. Just doesn't happen with modern vehicles without the ECU tripping a code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just got off the phone with page dealer service manger TJ sent him the videos of the compression test that he said he didnt. He stated he cant check his email till he gets to work which is probably the dumbest thing iv ever heard like the rest of the lies his dealer gave me. One intresting thing is I called him about 5 times with my normal phone number and as soon as I use a different phone number he answers instantly hmmm. Please do yourself a favor and never take your car to page honda in bloomfield theyre abunch of lying scums.

Let me know if this looks like a compression test to you guys.
Cyl 1:
Cyl 2:
Cyl 3:
Cyl 4:

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The piston crowns depicted and cylinder walls show signs of pretty intense heat. Either the injectors were not providing enough or the fuel pumps were not. You lost compression when the heat became so great that your exhaust valvles in #1 & #4 fell out a bit further. Prior to noticing you were burning oil you should have noticed a loss of power. If you had lossed oil pressure or fuel pressure, the ECU would have illuminated the Engine symbol and put you in LIMP mode. That's a definite, as modern ECUs are pretty darn smart. The dealer taking the car for a test drive is a standard practice. In that short drive it would be impossible to get the cylinder temps that hot on a stock tune - so that isn't it.
The signs of the pistons & valves exhibit a lot and it is also aparent that in the numerous visits to Honda that no one found any Low pressure fuel or oil codes. The timing would have been extremely pulled in an event like this as there would have been some extreme knock going on. In summation: This can also be caused by too much timing advance as well.

There is a reason cars are "under tuned" below there capability - as these 1.5L motors have extremely high Thermal and Volumetric Efficiencies. Just doesn't happen with modern vehicles without the ECU tripping a code.
This is good info page honda service manager said that if I had a bent valve the car woudnt be able to drive. And obviously I was able to get it from his dealer to the next dealership with no issues. My goal is to prove that the cars issue was diagnosed before hand and the dealer shouldnt have just given the car back. Which driving the car would cause further damage leading to entire engine rebuild instead of just some new valves. But page honda still says a compression test was never done on my car but its blantly obvious in the video that it had to have been done.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
This is good info page honda service manager said that if I had a bent valve the car woudnt be able to drive. And obviously I was able to get it from his dealer to the next dealership with no issues. My goal is to prove that the cars issue was diagnosed before hand and the dealer shouldnt have just given the car back. Which driving the car would cause further damage leading to entire engine rebuild instead of just some new valves. But page honda still says a compression test was never done on my car but its blantly obvious in the video that it had to have been done.
Hold on to the videos, they will probably be helpful if you ever need to go to an attorney

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hold on to the videos, they will probably be helpful if you ever need to go to an attorney
Looks like we will have to get ahold of one because these dealerships just dont stop lying.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Understood.
As you were losing a quart of oil every 500mi before you began this whole process, the problem had already occurred. It was worsened over time.
Now, relating to the supposed compression test from the first dealer, yes - your video does depict what appears to be a compression check. As to the actual compression at that point is not disclosed.
Your piston crowns however, do have some serious hot spots on them. That can just be "blow by" from worn rings.

In the firing sequence:
Cyl's #1 & #4 are synchronized through the crank shaft, so how really do both exhaust valves within Cyl #1 & #4 release enough to cause this issue? Since each Cyl is in a different stage of stroke per sequence. I think that is also a backing that Honda will use in addition to however they determined an "over REV" was conducted. I'm certain that the dealership interacted with Corporate reporting the findings and a warranty was not substantiated, so the Dealer (in some method) conveyed that to you.

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Understood.
As you were losing a quart of oil every 500mi before you began this whole process, the problem had already occurred. It was worsened over time.
Now, relating to the supposed compression test from the first dealer, yes - your video does depict what appears to be a compression check. As to the actual compression at that point is not disclosed.
Your piston crowns however, do have some serious hot spots on them. That can just be "blow by" from worn rings.

In the firing sequence:
Cyl's #1 & #4 are synchronized through the crank shaft, so how really do both exhaust valves within Cyl #1 & #4 release enough to cause this issue? Since each Cyl is in a different stage of stroke per sequence. I think that is also a backing that Honda will use in addition to however they determined an "over REV" was conducted. I'm certain that the dealership interacted with Corporate reporting the findings and a warranty was not substantiated, so the Dealer (in some method) conveyed that to you.
I definitely experienced blow by and i conveyed that to the dealer multiple times. If I hit throttle hard and then let off a cloud of blue smoke would appear behind the car.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve seen cars not able to start and run from bent valves. Others can... but run badly. The valves seating act to cool the valves themselves... so a valve not seating doesn’t allow its heat to get transferred into the heat. The valves would get burnt up (though they’re already bent) and then slamming down on a seat not true for damage the seating surface.

The easy thing (and have I’ve done in the past) is to just ditch the old head and replace it when you’re talking about a car with many donors in junkyards. You’ve got to take the head off anyways to replace them. By the time you do all the work to pull the head off... then you’re removing/replacing valves and fixing the seats... you can just swap heads and be done with it if the purpose is to just get a head w/undamaged valves back in. The cost of ‘junk’ head were $50-100 as I recall (it’s been a few years since I’ve had to do it) and I couldn’t replace the valves... even getting a seat tool for a free return rental... for the cost of the valves, not counting all time compared to the head swap. I ignored valve imprints on the top of the pistons and the cars started... ran... didn’t burn oil. They seemed to be fine. Can you bend a rod if you touch valves? Oh yeah. That’s mostly from floating valves at high revs. The most recent one was simply because my friend set his timing wrong, didn’t bar the engine over by hand to give himself an idiot check that everything was good before trying to turn it over w/the starter. Starters are strong and don’t stop when they encounter resistance.

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Understood.

In the firing sequence:
I would love to see what those compression numbers were but remember that test never happened according to them. Those numbers would give some serious info on the engines damage before the tameroffs compression test.

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda corporate says they have no information about why my cars engines warranty isnt being covered after the service manager from tameroff told me to call them. Awesome! Because honda customer service doesnt have that information. After asking who does they said they dont know.

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Sounds like warranty work. Anything that isn't an easy fix is often kicked back and forth in the hopes that you give up and shell out.

OP
OP
Dre0415

Dre0415

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds like warranty work. Anything that isn't an easy fix is often kicked back and forth in the hopes that you give up and shell out.
We are speaking with an attorney right now so thats the next route we are taking.
Sponsored