tonytypeR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Would installing a catch can or oil cooler void my extended warranty? Would either of those lead to any kind of failure even if installed properly?
Sponsored

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Yes any modification to a stock vehicle could void your warranty if proven that the part installed caused an issue. Some dealers wont even look at the car if it is modified. There are a few Dealers however that are mod friendly and could fix it under warranty it depends.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
People say the the dealership has to prove it caused the issue.. But do you really want to lawyer up or sit there and argue all day with a dealership that doesn't want to do your repairs under warranty?

Dealerships are independently owned. If you blow your motor or trans and they refuse to cover it under warranty because of something like a catch can or aftermarket exhaust, you're better off taking it off and trying another dealership.

Only time I've seen info follow a Vin from one dealership to another is for over rev or ecu flash. Then you're shit out of luck.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Would installing a catch can or oil cooler void my extended warranty? Would either of those lead to any kind of failure even if installed properly?
With warranty repairs the dealership has to prove that the modification you did to the car could cause failure to the part you are trying to warranty. So say that you forgot to empty your oil catch can, hit a bump, and sent a bunch of oil through your intake which caused an issue with the motor. That likely would not be covered. If your AC stops working, however, they dealership will have a very hard time linking that issue to the catch can or oil cooler.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I'd suggest careful reading of your extended warranty policy documentation - It's not a manufacturers warranty (Bearing in mind I'm speaking from a UK Perspective), so there may be contractual getouts (In the extended warranty) such as "Cover invalid on modified vehicles" - Just to give them a getout.

In a practical sense, I wouldn't expect either to lead to problems - provided they're installed correctly and are quality parts.
It isn't unheard of for fittings / hoses to fail on oil coolers, which can lead to oil loss - Do keep on top of your oil checks:- Personally, I'd say if you're not planning on intensive track use, don't bother - Keep failure points to a minimum.

Mostly, Common sense applies to warranty IMO - If you've got a catch can and something goes pop on the PCV system, I'd say it's on you - As you've modified that system.
Similarly, if you spun a bearing through oil starvation and had an oil cooler with seeping fittings, the new engine is on you:- If however, your boot had a leak - Obviously nothing to do with what you've done.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Basically messing with the catch can and you have an engine failure....Its on you. Therefore your Warranty is useless.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
whos the extended warranty through? companies like zurich are shit to deal with if your cars modded in my experiences

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Dealerships refuse to honor warranty claims all the time mods or not. If you can't afford to replace a critical component failing and not being covered, don't mod it.