Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Is there anyway for Honda to warranty an engine after its had a Cai, new intercooler and a tune? Nothing else has been done to the engine and I threw a rod. My car is a 18 civic si with about 22k miles on it, so it's still under the warranty of 3 year 36k miles. Honda says they wont warranty a new engine and I was wondering if there was a way around it?
No there isn’t. If you only had a cold air intake it would be up to the dealer to prove that it could damage the engine. As far as ecu readings usually only occur when you throw a code. After market mods fall under the magnuson act. You altered factory ecu limits so you are responsible. You might be able to go to another dealer if you return it to stock. If you hadn’t tuned it you might have a case cause cars ecu have torue and boost limiters to precent this. I’m suprised that I keep seeing this with 1.5L. Everyone claimed it could take massive power in the beginner now it seem 300whp equal gaurenteed “boom”.
I think it’s got a lot to do with the way the l15b manages ignition limit. It’s variable. That’s dangerous at high boost. Hondata also lowers knock control sensitivity which I think it’s a bad idea.
Sponsored

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
It would take an act of God for Honda to warranty your motor.

I met with the regional Honda Rep over a warranty claim on my 2019 CTR. He flat out told me Honda could EASILY tell if customers modified their cars even if they swapped ECU's. He said it was the first thing they check when customers come in with warranty claims.

When I modified my C7 Corvette, my warranty (or specifically, certain parts of it) were blacklisted in GM's database, which all dealer's check on service\warranty claims.

Sorry man, but like other's have said, you're likely SOL. :(

That's why I have kept mine bone stock... just in case something fails as I track it extensively.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It would take an act of God for Honda to warranty your motor.

I met with the regional Honda Rep over a warranty claim on my 2019 CTR. He flat out told me Honda could EASILY tell if customers modified their cars even if they swapped ECU's. He said it was the first thing they check when customers come in with warranty claims.

When I modified my C7 Corvette, my warranty (or specifically, certain parts of it) were blacklisted in GM's database, which all dealer's check on service\warranty claims.

Sorry man, but like other's have said, you're likely SOL. :(

That's why I have kept mine bone stock... just in case something fails as I track it extensively.
Yeah dude but you have 300+ bone stock in your CTR while the 1.5's have around 200 stock so you really have tons more power when stock than the 1.5's do.

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Agreed!
If you feel the need to be a f$ckboi at your local meet two stepping and all that other bs you deserve a rod through your block anyway. it’s those idiots that have destroyed the scene. If you just want more performance and your not an asshat, use hondata and if the canned map has a warning ⚠ do not f$cking use it unless you have enough money in your bank to account for your ignorance.
happy wrenching
Kyle
Just curious - what does 'two-stepping' mean?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just curious - what does 'two-stepping' mean?
It's a lower rev limit you can set for when the car is stationary. You can mash the throttle to the floor and it'll hold at like 3k RPM for example. Can be used for launching, can also be used to be obnoxious and potentially blow your motor.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
OEM power is cheaper than mod power.

Sure, up front cost may be less for mod power, but for $180/month more I make as much power as these vented L15s and if something happens I can take it to the dealer who can't hassle me about fixing it.

If you want a faster car, go buy a faster car. It never ever ever makes financial sense to build out a car for the street.
While I usually agree with that sentiment, there's a lot more to the Si than just all out acceleration and speed. It's a great package at its price point and I compared it extensively to the competition for over a year. I wanted a daily to haul my dogs around in now that I've sold my truck, and one with butt warmers/niceties to keep my fiance happy. My Miata wasn't cutting it anymore as a daily (sadly) and driving her car everywhere on the weekends was super boring. I wanted something fun to drive that has back seats with a manual transmission, and I value nimble handling over high horsepower nowadays.

I've modified every performance oriented car that I've owned regardless of the starting price so you're right that I could have just bought a faster car to begin with, but I still would end up spending money on bolt-ons eventually, I'm never happy leaving well enough alone. If I had wanted to buy a Type-R, it would be tuned with bolt-ons also right now but would have cost me intially $12,000 more assuming I found one for MSRP and that's not including additional tax, insurance, vehicle tabs, etc. But I'm with you in that if going fast is your highest priority when selecting a vehicle, buying a fast car to begin with is always always always a better idea. Don't modify something under warranty if you expect someone else to fix it if it breaks, and do your research as best as you can before slapping parts on your car.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want your civic to last you decade without problems don't mod.
If you want a really tune car for a track, have a dedicated track car.
If you want to go stock really fast in a straight line get a dodge demon red eye.
You cannot have all 3 on one, recommendation your build should not be your daily drive.
Some times suspension upgrades make your car enjoyable without messing with the engine.
A civic SI is not a Type R a Type R has a bigger and better motor and only makes 305 hrspers.
If you put 300 in the SI is going to brake something sooner or later.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to go stock really fast in a straight line get a dodge demon red eye.
You cannot have all 3 on one, recommendation your build should not be your daily drive.
Some times suspension upgrades make your car enjoyable without messing with the engine.
A civic SI is not a Type R a Type R has a bigger and better motor and only makes 305 hrspers.
I agree with you but that is also creating small confined boxes and there are ways to mod safely that have very little downside, and can increase the life of the car. But, when people are searching for the maximum synergy of all of the parts, it is like designing a bomb. You never know when it will go kaboom, especially if everything is right on the edge and delicate. There are hundreds of ways of modding a car. Many people nowadays want the instant gratification that tuning provides, but there are so many variables that control the combustion process, and it does not make any sense to not have wide margins. If you took the more difficult route of porting the head, yes it is more work but you are not just turning up the boost knob. You are increasing the actual flow. Same with exhaust, if you Jet-Hot coated the downpipe and other exhaust and tailored the diameter for the herspers, you get power without downside.

Reactions: AVR

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can have all 3.

you want to do all of the above build your motors.

Reactions: AVR

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Modding and building your car is all about where you're vision is and where you are and where you're going. Modding is a lifestyle. I mod all my cars but a daily driver and sometimes it even sneaks into the equation there with minor mods.

That being said I am more than happy to push my car to its street-able limits. P600 & 2.3L race build next up.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Modding and building your car is all about where you're vision is and where you are and where you're going. Modding is a lifestyle. I mod all my cars but a daily driver and sometimes it even sneaks into the equation there with minor mods.

That being said I am more than happy to push my car to its street-able limits. P600 & 2.3L race build next up.
I have nothing against modifying cars don't get me wrong, I am just trying to pass a little wisdom, If you are not mechanically incline and have tools, or have deep pockets to pay a mechanic, and depend of your car to do daily business and get some bread you should invest in a second set of wheels like a beater or something. Not having wheels is not funny.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have nothing against modifying cars don't get me wrong, I am just trying to pass a little wisdom, If you are not mechanically incline and have tools, or have deep pockets to pay a mechanic, and depend of your car to do daily business and get some bread you should invest in a second set of wheels like a beater or something. Not having wheels is not funny.
That's right. Is it transportation or is it a toy? It is a transportation AND a toy sounds more like a BMX bike! ?
Sponsored