Warranty? Thrown Rod!!

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
As a fallow up no I am not the original owner. So I'm not sure what the person before me did. I do know this, the stock clutch was worn pretty well and had hot spots on the flywheel. I'm certain the guy before me had it tuned as well, who knows how. I had the tsp stage one tune which was around 23psi max. I'm not certain there was rod knock, but I am certain I had like . 5 knock sensor and all other perameters were in good order. So I'm kinda blaming the previous owner.

But speaking about engines, who knows where to get a new one? In Texas woods be awesome but I'm willing to pay shipping.
For sure the previous owner did something that compromised the reliability of the car when it was tuned.

You can check them out:
Sponsored

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
It would be useful if you could post more information about your driving style. How long did you drive with the tune? Thank you

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
U barely push your car, I've seen your posts before, u drive tour car like its stock..so course nothing happen to u
and the problem with that is? How dare he take care of his car and treat it like an adult...?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I get the balls to tune, a thread like this pops up. It never fails.
Keep this in mind and I stake my reputation on it...

Tuning, done right, transforms your car like nothing else. And for every blown motor thread, there are 97 threads talking about how fantastic a tune is. There's my tuning reliability survey, too.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-civic-x-reliability-experience-survey.42361/

Like you, I went back and forth on tuning. Threads like this scared me. Then, two and a half years ago I took the plunge and am glad I did. Get a base tune, relax and enjoy.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every time I get the balls to tune, a thread like this pops up. It never fails.
As long as there are things that can break, people will break ‘em. Manage risk as best as you can. So long as you’re not so risk-adverse that doing what you want ruins it for you from worry and you can absorb a failure if it happens w/o wrecking you... go for it if it’s what you want. Tuning a brand new/ish car you can’t afford to fix if it breaks is never a good idea though. ?

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Keep this in mind and I stake my reputation on it...

Tuning, done right, transforms your car like nothing else. And for every blown motor thread, there are 97 threads talking about how fantastic a tune is. There's my tuning reliability survey, too.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-civic-x-reliability-experience-survey.42361/

Like you, I went back and forth on tuning. Threads like this scared me. Two and a half years ago I made the plunge and am glad I did. Get a base tune, relax and enjoy.
The reliability survey is what ultimately convinced me to tune. I was under the impression that TSP Stage 1 is nearly foolproof. Statistically it still is I guess, but OP has me second guessing again.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The reliability survey is what ultimately convinced me to tune. I was under the impression that TSP Stage 1 is nearly foolproof. Statistically it still is I guess, but OP has me second guessing again.
Did you read his follow up though? He's the second owner and he's pretty sure the first owner was tuned and probably did God knows what.

Also understand that the TSP tune has 3 different maps. Driving it on Map 2 would be a conservative way of tuning while still getting big increases over stock.

On the other hand if you're looking for 100% foolproof don't tune. My personal opinion though is base tuning is safe when driven "normally". If you go two stepping and anti-lagging say goodbye to long term reliability.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Did you read his follow up though? He's the second owner and he's pretty sure the first owner was tuned and probably did God knows what.

Also understand that the TSP tune has 3 different maps. Driving it on Map 2 would be a conservative way of tuning while still getting big increases over stock.
Yes, I'm so chicken I hadn't planned on going beyond Map 1!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I'm so chicken I hadn't planned on going beyond Map 1!
Hmmm. Maybe just get a PRL Cobra or something and call it a day. If being tuned will have you worried every time you floor it, I'd say keep it on the factory tune.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
As a fallow up no I am not the original owner. So I'm not sure what the person before me did. I do know this, the stock clutch was worn pretty well and had hot spots on the flywheel. I'm certain the guy before me had it tuned as well, who knows how. I had the tsp stage one tune which was around 23psi max. I'm not certain there was rod knock, but I am certain I had like . 5 knock sensor and all other perameters were in good order. So I'm kinda blaming the previous owner.

But speaking about engines, who knows where to get a new one? In Texas woods be awesome but I'm willing to pay shipping.
Thanks for following up with us, we appreciate it. These blown motor threads pop up and rile everyone up, and then it's revealed the motor was abused.

Sounds like the previous owner wasn’t so easy on the car.

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
I agree with everything you wrote.

I always say you should go into tuning assuming drivetrain problems won't be covered under warranty.

On the other hand it you tune smartly, you have a mostly high reward, low-ish risk scenario. Base and canned tuned tunes are generally safe on a stock or near stock setup. Start adding full bolt ons and increasing power and the risk generally goes up. Constantly drive like an idiot and all bets are off.
Definitely, getting a reputable tune will decrease the risk (of damaging the engine from aggressive/poor tuning), but we also need to keep in mind that completely unmodified vehicles have engine failures. It's going to be hard to prove whether an engine failed due to some manufacturer error if the user was running a 60 psi Zeus-Sploog tune that spits lightning out the tailpipe on downshifts.

People need to be at peace with the fact that the warranty probably won't cover the engine before they make the choice to tune their new cars.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I would agree with you. It sounds like there may have been underlying symptoms exacerbated by the tune and bolt-ons. Map 3 peaks at 24.5 PSI on 93 octane, which is somewhat aggressive (but not outrageous) on the stock motor.
Sponsored