Warranty? Thrown Rod!!

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
I wonder if he the original owner of the car?

If not, I wonder what, if anything, was done to it by a previous owner.
Sponsored

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
Everyone has heard someone say that 'you have to pay to play', but these threads always keep popping up on every car forum that I've been on. If you tune a turbo car to put out significantly more power than it came from the factory with, why would you expect the manufacturer to cover a damaged engine under warranty? It was operating outside of its designed specs of what they tested and deemed reliable. Running an aftermarket tune is at the user's own risk. The manufacturer does not have to definitively prove that your mods caused the failure to deny a warranty claim, that is internet folklore. One could attempt to take them court, but they have better lawyers and you'd never win.

Attempting to cover it up by flashing back to stock and putting all the OEM parts back on is not only morally wrong, it's also illegal if caught but someone always suggests it shamelessly. This sucks for the OP since most people are fine with the same mods, I feel bad for them but people need to know that when they make the choice to tune, your powertrain warranty will most likely not cover the engine if something fails. It's a risk that I've taken multiple times (and will continue to take), but I've always known that it's a risk.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
This is another bs thread....?pics or it didn’t happen!

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I've been running the TSP 1 over a year. It's been great. So on the one hand, we have like 97% of people having no problems with their tunes. Then there's that other 3%. So, what's the difference? Bad luck? Honda sold them a defective engine? Or is it more likely they tuned for too much power, used anti-lag, didn't monitor their car for warning signs, etc ...
U barely push your car, I've seen your posts before, u drive tour car like its stock..so course nothing happen to u

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone has heard someone say that 'you have to pay to play', but these threads always keep popping up on every car forum that I've been on. If you tune a turbo car to put out significantly more power than it came from the factory with, why would you expect the manufacturer to cover a damaged engine under warranty? It was operating outside of its designed specs of what they tested and deemed reliable. Running an aftermarket tune is at the user's own risk. The manufacturer does not have to definitively prove that your mods caused the failure to deny a warranty claim, that is internet folklore. One could attempt to take them court, but they have better lawyers and you'd never win.

Attempting to cover it up by flashing back to stock and putting all the OEM parts back on is not only morally wrong, it's also illegal if caught but someone always suggests it shamelessly. This sucks for the OP since most people are fine with the same mods, I feel bad for them but people need to know that when they make the choice to tune, your powertrain warranty will most likely not cover the engine if something fails. It's a risk that I've taken multiple times (and will continue to take), but I've always known that it's a risk.
I agree with everything you wrote.

I always say you should go into tuning assuming drivetrain problems won't be covered under warranty.

On the other hand it you tune smartly, you have a mostly high reward, low-ish risk scenario. Base and canned tuned tunes are generally safe on a stock or near stock setup. Start adding full bolt ons and increasing power and the risk generally goes up. Constantly drive like an idiot and all bets are off.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
U barely push your car, I've seen your posts before, u drive tour car like its stock..so course nothing happen to u
I wouldn't quite say that, but you're right, I generally don't drive it super hard. I figure I do one or two moves during my commutes (high speed passing mostly) and otherwise just keep pace with traffic.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Tunes should be track-proven. After all, you’re likely to give it more gas with a tune because you wanted more power. It sounds pretty silly to get a tune but scared of giving it gas because it’s not safe.

Hondata has tested their tunes on the Thunderhill track for 25 straight hours and works closely with HPD. Hence, why I always used their tunes for daily driver although I had TSP. I’m not saying that TSP is bad or not safe, but aggressive tunes come at a cost.

Best of luck to the OP.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why are YOU posting? You're not contributing anything to the thread; you're just shitting on other members for disagreeing with you and typing out your posts like you're a 12 year old girl T9 texting.

Emphasis mine. OP tells us all we need to know about how he fucked his engine and why it happened.
Why are YOU posting? You're not contributing anything to the thread; you're just shitting on other members for disagreeing with you and typing out your posts like you're a 12 year old girl T9 texting.

Emphasis mine. OP tells us all we need to know about how he fucked his engine and why it happened.
Sorry what are you suggesting with the bold? Two Step Performance is the company. He's not (explicitly) saying he was 2-stepping the motor

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tunes should be track-proven. After all, you’re likely to give it more gas with a tune because you wanted more power. It sounds pretty silly to get a tune but scared of giving it gas because it’s not safe.

Hondata has tested their tunes on the Thunderhill track for 25 straight hours and works closely with HPD. Hence, why I always used their tunes for daily driver although I had TSP. I’m not saying that TSP is bad or not safe, but aggressive tunes come at a cost.

Best of luck to the OP.
I started with Hondata and no doubt their base tunes are well tested. But I still contend that most issues aren't solely due to the increased power of a base tune whether it's Hondata or KTuner or TSP.

It's user neglect/errors/abuse mostly. For example, lets take the Flashpro +6 base tune. It's certainly a conservative tune out of the box. But ... Hondata leaves the boost and torque limit tables open for editing by users (even on the CARB version) and that can open the door to some serious problems.

I'm speaking from personal experience. I played around with those tables creating my own homemade high power tune. And it felt much better than the +6. But I was smart enough to stop using it when I saw how knock control was constantly shooting up.

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

old people are so scratchy and gtman himself agrees with me so why your anus getting all hurt?

Last edited:

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
did vtec kick in yo?

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s really no info here to make an advisement on. Almost all these posts are new people with no pics or detail, I don’t think they are real, if someone had a major issue I would think more detail would be brought forward to evaluate. Dealers will install CAI, and intercooler and can tune you and maintain your warranty, as I originally said something isn’t adding up, more info is needed.

Last edited:
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR #45050 (Sold) 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Is there anyway for Honda to warranty an engine after its had a Cai, new intercooler and a tune? Nothing else has been done to the engine and I threw a rod. My car is a 18 civic si with about 22k miles on it, so it's still under the warranty of 3 year 36k miles. Honda says they wont warranty a new engine and I was wondering if there was a way around it?
I threw a rod in my previously tuned 2016 EXT, no tune for maybe a month before it blew. They repaired it under powertrain warranty - I think I got extremely lucky based on what I've read. Even the manager mentioned that people "like to change the PCM on these little 1.5s" Not sure how they wouldn't have known what I did in the past unless changes to the ECU are erased after X amount of miles.

I've got a 2020 Hatch sport now and I think i'm too scared to tune again.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there anyway for Honda to warranty an engine after its had a Cai, new intercooler and a tune? Nothing else has been done to the engine and I threw a rod. My car is a 18 civic si with about 22k miles on it, so it's still under the warranty of 3 year 36k miles. Honda says they wont warranty a new engine and I was wondering if there was a way around it?
Are you the original owner?

What PSI are you using or tune are you using?

What we’re you doing when you noticed the issue?

Find a dealer that tunes for customers and ask them for support. There are dealers out there that support tuners just depends on the situation. If they can establish there’s no damage from abuse in the tuning involved one of those dealerships may assist with warranty of the vehicle if they observe the tunes efficient after the repair is made.

I only have one dealership in an hours drive of me cool enough to handle performance mods.

OP
OP

Mike2008508

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
As a fallow up no I am not the original owner. So I'm not sure what the person before me did. I do know this, the stock clutch was worn pretty well and had hot spots on the flywheel. I'm certain the guy before me had it tuned as well, who knows how. I had the tsp stage one tune which was around 23psi max. I'm not certain there was rod knock, but I am certain I had like . 5 knock sensor and all other perameters were in good order. So I'm kinda blaming the previous owner.

But speaking about engines, who knows where to get a new one? In Texas woods be awesome but I'm willing to pay shipping.
Sponsored