Mike2008508

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Is there anyway for Honda to warranty an engine after its had a Cai, new intercooler and a tune? Nothing else has been done to the engine and I threw a rod. My car is a 18 civic si with about 22k miles on it, so it's still under the warranty of 3 year 36k miles. Honda says they wont warranty a new engine and I was wondering if there was a way around it?
Sponsored

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Is there anyway for Honda to warranty an engine after its had a Cai, new intercooler and a tune? Nothing else has been done to the engine and I threw a rod. My car is a 18 civic si with about 22k miles on it, so it's still under the warranty of 3 year 36k miles. Honda says they wont warranty a new engine and I was wondering if there was a way around it?
if they have seen the car with the intercooler n other stuff you’re probably SOL. They COULD work with you on a lower price but probably going to be clobbered regardless.

you could call your insurance and see if you have MBI ins but not sure how modifications are with that

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
The problem that they’ll say is that you were running a tune when you threw a rod. They’ll see when the ECU was flashed even though you flash it back to stock.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try putting back all the OEM parts and play a dumb game with the dealership. You might get lucky. Don't ever roll into the dealership with any aftermarket mods on. Your advisor might make a note on them without you knowing anything about that.

RMR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport/2018 Honda Odyssey Elite/2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
I've heard of stories like this countless of times with Honda/Acura and other makes with modded cars and even stock ones. Some other makes record the last highest rpm, oil level, etc via the computer and a dealer can pull that and use it against you. Not sure if that is something recorded in the Si. 99% of the time especially with ECU modes, the dealer can see a tune that is in use or was in use. If they stick to it you probably are SOL. Best bet is to go hunting for a used Si engine that is being sold from a Si that was written off or totaled by the insurance company and have a dealer or indie shop buy it and install it. Good luck.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As soon as I read the title of the thread, I would have bet my house you had a tune,

I will never understand why people choose to voluntarily destroy their own vehicles,
Honda Civic 10th gen Warranty? Thrown Rod!! tenor

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Seriously. I hate people who are like "OmG YoU MoDdEd iT sO oF CoUrSe ItS gOiNg To BlOw uP"

Honda Civic 10th gen Warranty? Thrown Rod!! spongebob

Now, that being said, some people are idiots but idiots can blow up stock motors too so... yeah.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I agree REBEL. Look, we all know that upping power has it's risks but we also know that the majority of owners on tunes have been mostly trouble free. The canned tunes out there for the Civic are fairly mild and reasonably safe. The reward far outweighs the risk IMO.

On the other hand, push the power too high or drive abusively and all bets are off. The truth is, it's the nut behind the wheel that often determines reliability more than the tune itself.

OP, feel free to fill in the details of what led up to the failure. Also, what intake were you running?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Another first post, new member...?

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Tune is probably going to f*** you, warranty wise. Engine failures get escalated past the stealership tech level.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I have all prl equipment. Just a child air intake and intercooler. I was running the two step performance stage 1 tune as well.
A child air intake? No wonder it blew! Probably 2 stepping and anti-lagging the whole time as well....

Last edited:

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Try putting back all the OEM parts and play a dumb game with the dealership. You might get lucky. Don't ever roll into the dealership with any aftermarket mods on. Your advisor might make a note on them without you knowing anything about that.
That’s fraud.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You can fight it in small claims. But it sounds like your SOL. Pickup a used engine from a junkyard, don't be afraid of the 1.5T from the CRV. There compatible with the SI. And you're more likely to find one of those. Or pickup a indestructible monster from TSP.
Sponsored