FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey what’s going on everyone. I’m new here and I can’t find a post that quite answers the question I have.

So I purchased a 2020 FK8 about 2 months ago and I had a question about the warranty and what to do when taking the car in for any problems it may have..

I have installed a hybrid racing short shifter, hybrid racing cable bushings and an Injen evolution cold air intake.

As of recently I’ve started to hear a tiny squeaking noise coming from my passenger side of the car. I can’t tell if it’s the front wheel or rear wheel.. it normally happens after I’ve driven awhile and only happens when I’m going really slow. Like 2-5 mph. It’s not extremely loud but I hear it and have no idea why it’s happening.

I want to schedule to get it check out by the dealer but I was curious if I’ll be okay taking it in with the mods I currently have on it. The mods have nothing to do with the brakes or rotors... but will they void my warranty just because they’re installed when I take it in to check on this issue? Or make some kind of note that I’ve had them on my car Incase I bring the car in for something that does deal with what I have done to it?

My car has only 900 miles on it and I don’t see why it should be making any kind of noise.

so what do you guys think? Do I have to remove my short shifter and CAI just to take it in for something as stupid as this? I’m not trying to void my warranty. Any information helps.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
You don’t have to remove your mods since they are not related to your concern.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Your mods will not matter UNLESS it is found that the mods were the cause of any failure/issue. So for example, if you hydro-lock your engine due to a cold air intake sucking water into the engine, we would not/have not in the past covered the engine under warranty because the mod was the cause of the failure.

Most of that low speed squeal is brake noise, FK8 is racecar, gonna make noise.

OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
You don’t have to remove your mods since they are not related to your concern.
thanks for your reply. Do you think they note that I have modded the car to cover there ass in the future? I know it’s hard to say but just curious.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
thanks for your reply. Do you think they note that I have modded the car to cover there ass in the future? I know it’s hard to say but just curious.
Depends on the dealership. Some can make your life hard but some are easy to deal with. But if anything happens, they need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Your mods will not matter UNLESS it is found that the mods were the cause of any failure/issue. So for example, if you hydro-lock your engine due to a cold air intake sucking water into the engine, we would not/have not in the past covered the engine under warranty because the mod was the cause of the failure.

Most of that low speed squeal is brake noise, FK8 is racecar, gonna make noise.
Thanks for your reply!

Okay cool. So I’m fine taking the car in as is for something minor like brakes, oil changes and stuff like that?

the noise happened out of no where a couple days ago and it’s not constant. As the wheel spins it’s like on and off on and off almost like something is stuck in there. It’s pretty quiet but I can hear it with the windows down and no music on. Do you think it’ll stop on it’s own once the brakes break in a bit more? Or just take it in to have it looked at? I’m kind of OCD when it comes down to stuff like this and it bugs the crap out of me ?

OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Depends on the dealership. Some can make your life hard but some are easy to deal with. But if anything happens, they need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

yeah that’s what I have read online all comes down to them having to prove it. I just didn’t want to loose my warranty and have to uninstall all my mods every time just to take the car in for simple things like brakes and weird noises.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you think it’ll stop on it’s own once the brakes break in a bit more? Or just take it in to have it looked at? I’m kind of OCD when it comes down to stuff like this and it bugs the crap out of me ?
It comes and goes on my CTR, I wouldn't trip out about it. For your 3yr/36k warranty it's bumper to bumper, so if you don't like fit/finish etc use it. That brake noise is pretty characteristic though, changing out the OE pads with news ones really aint gonna do anything. Brembo calipers and baller rotors, racecar stuff, you should run some ceramic pads sometime lol, squeal so loud it scares pedestrians.

I will say that heads up, Honda can see when you reflash the vehicle if you ever go Hondata or KTuner, regardless of when you flash it back to "stock". The idea that people think Honda is oblivious to the fact people are tuning these cars, while they run Hondata themselves in TCR competition is hilarious, like turning off all the lights of the house party when the cops show up, pretending no one is home. Honda is informing us to check sensor parameters, tuned vehicles will have sensor readings that do not fall under "stock" parameters. We compare the failed data to known normal readings, look for any engine mods or signs the ecu has been removed and they have gone as far as checking those Instagram tags on your windows lol. Papa Honda aint paying for engines once you mess with the formula.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
It comes and goes on my CTR, I wouldn't trip out about it. For your 3yr/36k warranty it's bumper to bumper, so if you don't like fit/finish etc use it. That brake noise is pretty characteristic though, changing out the OE pads with news ones really aint gonna do anything. Brembo calipers and baller rotors, racecar stuff, you should run some ceramic pads sometime lol, squeal so loud it scares pedestrians.

I will say that heads up, Honda can see when you reflash the vehicle if you ever go Hondata or KTuner, regardless of when you flash it back to "stock". The idea that people think Honda is oblivious to the fact people are tuning these cars, while they run Hondata themselves in TCR competition is hilarious, like turning off all the lights of the house party when the cops show up, pretending no one is home. Honda is informing us to check sensor parameters, tuned vehicles will have sensor readings that do not fall under "stock" parameters. We compare the failed data to known normal readings, look for any engine mods or signs the ecu has been removed and they have gone as far as checking those Instagram tags on your windows lol. Papa Honda aint paying for engines once you mess with the formula.
are you still running OE brake pads? You also get tiny squeak at low speed?

Mine has been everyday since I noticed it a couple days ago. It seems like once it gets warm the squeak starts And like I said only at low speeds like below 5 miles an hour. Happens when I’m in gear and out of gear just coasting down the street slow. I like the OE pads so idk if I’d end up going aftermarket but the noise??‍♂ It kills me lol especially since It’s a brand new car with less than 1000 miles.

Thanks for that additional info and hilarious analogy ? I get what you mean. So even tho most people want big gains. It’s probably not worth it until warranty is up.. if you actually care about the warranty I guess..

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
are you still running OE brake pads? You also get tiny squeak at low speed?

Mine has been everyday since I noticed it a couple days ago. It seems like once it gets warm the squeak starts And like I said only at low speeds like below 5 miles an hour. Happens when I’m in gear and out of gear just coasting down the street slow. I like the OE pads so idk if I’d end up going aftermarket but the noise??‍♂ It kills me lol especially since It’s a brand new car with less than 1000 miles.

Thanks for that additional info and hilarious analogy ? I get what you mean. So even tho most people want big gains. It’s probably not worth it until warranty is up.. if you actually care about the warranty I guess..
I'm on OE pads and rotors. You can try to do a few medium effort stops from about 40mph, this tends to lift any debris/glaze on the rotors and pads.

OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm on OE pads and rotors. You can try to do a few medium effort stops from about 40mph, this tends to lift any debris/glaze on the rotors and pads.
im going to give this a try tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue?? I’ll follow up on here.

OP
OP
FK8_Billy

FK8_Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update: I just got back from driving the car for about 30 mins. On my way into my garage the squeak started up again.??‍♂ No luck with the braking technique.
Sponsored