Warranty question

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I have received a couple PMs letting me know to be careful about posting that I removed the adaptive sound control as Honda could invalidate my warranty for that. Is that really a thing? Could Honda trash my warranty because I disconnected and removed the fake engine noise module?
Sponsored

MarkSi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mustang GT (twin turbo)
Country flag
I have received a couple PMs letting me know to be careful about posting that I removed the adaptive sound control as Honda could invalidate my warranty for that. Is that really a thing? Could Honda trash my warranty because I disconnected and removed the fake engine noise module?
Tell me if I'm wrong, but can't you just plug it back in before taking your car to the dealer? Or did you throw out the module?

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I mean they could if they wanted too lol, but yeah I would just reinstall it before taking it to the dealer for a warranty concern just in case

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
They wouldn't cancel the entire warranty for that. They would cancel anything they could link to that as being related to whatever problem you have.

OP
OP
firesyde424

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
The
Tell me if I'm wrong, but can't you just plug it back in before taking your car to the dealer? Or did you throw out the module?
The car is leased so I kept the module because, while it didn't occur to me that it might cause a warranty issue, I do know there's a long list of stuff I'm not supposed to mess with during the leasing period. Even though it doesn't directly mention that module, I figured it would be good to keep it just in case.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
You entire warranted can’t be voided. Only part of warranty can be voided, if they can prove that was the cause of the failure. For example:

- you modified the car heavily and pushing more hp say 300+hp and your transmission fails, then it will not be fixed under warranty because it failed as a result of your doing, BUT they will still have to prove that you are to blame. If they can’t then it must be fixed under warranty

- same scenario as above but instead of your transmission failing your AC compressor fails, then they CAN NOT reject the warranty repair as your modification have nothing to do with the AC system

..also when it comes to service work because I see this all the time.. it doesn’t matter if your car is modified they will still work on your car. You are paying for the service so they will perform the service no matter how modified your car is. So N O, you do not need to revert your car back to stock to get service done on your car at the dealership. Now if your going for warranty work and the modification is in the system of failure , then and only then should you revert the car back to its stock form (example your having a misfire and your tuned, revert back to stock tuning to receive warranty work as they might blame that for the misfiring and charge you)

MarkSi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mustang GT (twin turbo)
Country flag
Yes, because you're trying to defraud Honda and get them to pay for you fucking up your engine.

The warranty is guaranteeing that the engine, as delivered, will operate as it's designed for however long. Upping boost is not what Honda guaranteed and they are not going to pay for it, nor should they.

If you want to go faster, buy a Type R or get a slush fund to pay for your fuck ups.
The fun of a sports car is to modify to your own liking. Not to mention cheaper. Built WRX is going to outperform any Type R for much less money. Just gotta know what you're doing...

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I actually got paid out on a class-action lawsuit a few years ago. Honda was deliberately screwing over minorities with higher interest rates and making them go through American Honda. They were doing it for YEARS and would've continued to do it if they didn't get caught.

Moral of the story - don't feel bad for trying to screw them on warranty claims. AND they already reject paying out valid claims anyways.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I actually got paid out on a class-action lawsuit a few years ago. Honda was deliberately screwing over minorities with higher interest rates and making them go through American Honda. They were doing it for YEARS and would've continued to do it if they didn't get caught.
This lawsuit was a scam by the greedy lawyers and courts. The lawyers made millions as usual on baseless accusations.

The company’s pricing policies from 2011 through this summer led to allegations the average black borrower paid more than $250 in borrowing costs over the life of the loan, the average Latino victim paid $200 in additional costs and the average Asian and Pacific Islander paid more than $150 in such costs.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You will be fine. There are a lot of parts under different warranty coverages on cars. The only thing you no longer can get replaced under warranty is the adaptive sound control module. Even then, they’d have to prove removing it made it fail.

Everything else will not be effected at all. Nothing to worry about.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You will be fine. There are a lot of parts under different warranty coverages on cars. The only thing you no longer can get replaced under warranty is the adaptive sound control module. Even then, they’d have to prove removing it made it fail.

Well, slight correction. They (Honda) only would need to prove anything, if you sue them. They will not need to prove anything to you to just deny a warranty repair on the pretense that the part was tampered with. If it looks like they might win in court, it would not be prudent to try and sue them. It could cost you.

Last edited:

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, slight correction. They (Honda) only would need to prove anything, if you sue them. They will not need to prove anything to you to just deny warranty repair on the pretense that the part was tampered with. If it looks like they might win in court, it would not be prudent to try and sue them. It could cost you.
True, but they do have to give some sort of evidence of why it wouldn’t be covered. I’ve dealt with it a lot. It would be up to the technician to determine if it was tampered with or had a manufactures defect.

Either way, removing a sound module will not void a warranty. It just might void the warranty on the part itself.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
You entire warranted can’t be voided. Only part of warranty can be voided, if they can prove that was the cause of the failure. For example:

- you modified the car heavily and pushing more hp say 300+hp and your transmission fails, then it will not be fixed under warranty because it failed as a result of your doing, BUT they will still have to prove that you are to blame. If they can’t then it must be fixed under warranty

- same scenario as above but instead of your transmission failing your AC compressor fails, then they CAN NOT reject the warranty repair as your modification have nothing to do with the AC system

..also when it comes to service work because I see this all the time.. it doesn’t matter if your car is modified they will still work on your car. You are paying for the service so they will perform the service no matter how modified your car is. So N O, you do not need to revert your car back to stock to get service done on your car at the dealership. Now if your going for warranty work and the modification is in the system of failure , then and only then should you revert the car back to its stock form (example your having a misfire and your tuned, revert back to stock tuning to receive warranty work as they might blame that for the misfiring and charge you)
This should be a sticky ffs

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring

And then if the exhaust failed they would not honor the warranty because it was disconnected and the driver could no longer hear any faults due to lack of aural enhancement by the Audio processor.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And then if the exhaust failed they would not honor the warranty because it was disconnected and the driver could no longer hear any faults due to lack of aural enhancement by the Audio processor.
That would be a new one to me and my coworkers (Honda service department). Never heard of an exhaust failing from a manufacturing defect. Also the exhaust is not part of the electrical system used for the fake sound.
Sponsored