groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
hey guys i got this stupid problem with this honda dealership. I was first having this transmission failure problem with my 17 civic and this one dealership fixed it free with the powertrain warranty. Ever since that fix after i was having transmission leak so 2 months later when i finally had time i took it to another dealership service center that is closer to me. The one were i had my tranny fixed is way too far now since i moved. Now the dealership fixed it saying it was a simple bolt just missing from the transmission pan but they wanna charge me 144$ for diagnostic fee and the fix nothing covered under warranty. I told them about how i had this fixed in another honda service center and thats too far and they said since you had it fixed in another honda service center and they made the mistake, it is not covered under warranty. Should this be right? Shouldnt this simple fix just be free under warranty.
Sponsored

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm guessing each service center is independently owned. The service center performed diagnostic and that's the cost, regardless of where you went before. Even a fix that seems simple will take a technicians time, administrative time, etc... All of which must be paid for.

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm guessing each service center is independently owned. The service center performed diagnostic and that's the cost, regardless of where you went before. Even a fix that seems simple will take a technicians time, administrative time, etc... All of which must be paid for.
but should powertrain warranty fix that so i wouldnt have to worry about that. it one of the main reason why i got a new car so i could take it to any honda service center and fix it for free with the warranty.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
but should powertrain warranty fix that so i wouldnt have to worry about that. it one of the main reason why i got a new car so i could take it to any honda service center and fix it for free with the warranty.
The only thing I can think of is that the powertrain warranty probably has exclusions and if another honda center worked on it and didn't do something properly maybe the other dealership cannot submit that under the powertrain warranty. yes, it should be seamless but i think the best bet is to go back to the original place and maybe they'll reimburse you.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Take it to another service center, they aren't worth dealing with. Each manufacture has their own rules, but the "diagnostic fee" isn't for all dealerships. Just tell the next dealer clearly that you have a warranty issue, or issue caused from a previous warranty repair, and what needs to be done. You may also wish to provide the paperwork of what was done at the first dealership.

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Take it to another service center, they aren't worth dealing with. Each manufacture has their own rules, but the "diagnostic fee" isn't for all dealerships. Just tell the next dealer clearly that you have a warranty issue, or issue caused from a previous warranty repair, and what needs to be done. You may also wish to provide the paperwork of what was done at the first dealership.
yea im speaking with honda customer service now at the moment. They saying you should be able to take it to any honda service center and the power train warranty should cover it regardless of the problem. still on call with them.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
yea im speaking with honda customer service now at the moment. They saying you should be able to take it to any honda service center and the power train warranty should cover it regardless of the problem. still on call with them.
A Ford dealer did this to me with my Focus. It was for an exceptionally well known issue (Ford was sued for it and lost even), yet they still wanted to charge me an idiotic "diagnostic fee". I said forget that and towed my car to another Ford dealer (saved money by towing it) and they did all the warranty work that I asked for, all the other recalls on the car (5 others), and even put a tiny bit of gas in the tank for me at no cost.

Not all dealers are created equal haha.

OP
OP
groundon000

groundon000

First Name
Evnul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
and they've already fixed the problem too. not sure if i can get it for free now since its another service center's fault.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
and they've already fixed the problem too. not sure if i can get it for free now since its another service center's fault.
Yeah, that is something that would probably be buried in the warranty. Not sure what the rules are specifically for Honda though. Sorry to not be of more help :(

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Doesn't matter if the other dealer did the work incorrectly, any honda dealer will cover it if it's a covered repair. If the job wasn't done right and has to be done again, honda warranty will back flag the orignial dealer for the work if need be. But the dealer the fixes it for the second time will get paid for diag and repair time. They just would rather make it a customer pay job as it pays almost double.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
IMHO, it's a dealer issue, not a warranty issue. If you took it back to the dealer that fixed it, they should not charge you because they screwed up . But another dealer cannot file a warranty claim for a dealer mistake.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Warranty work is for manufacturer defects. The cause of the leak was not a Honda build quality issue but a service repair failure. The repair is not under warranty, but is a "come back" for the previous dealer. Usually what happens is the customer calls up the previous dealer and has them reimburse the second dealer for the repair and the tech gets chewed out. It's usually a dealer-pays-dealer repair.
Sponsored