FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
I didn't do any of the work, just to it to the shop and let them take care of it all. I have a feeling that it was their screw up on the second set with them warping so quickly... the shop replaced them without any charges.
It’s the reason why I do all the work I can myself. Usually pads need to be bedded to the rotors, I doubt they did that and you didn’t.

I haven’t had warped rotors ever. I also buy cheapest blanks I can find for rotors. I splurge on specific pads though. And I bed them every time. Most pads come w bedding instructions nowadays.
Sponsored

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
Having not all the same torque on the lug nuts can warp rotors (like when someone else rotates your tires and they are careless). When I had a cadillac this could happen pretty quickly because it was a big heavy car and/or something specific with their rotors. I'm not sure how susceptible a civic would be (just got one this weekend) and don't want to find out . Your post made me think of this because it took me a few rotors to figure out. Since then I am very careful about keeping lug nut torque even from lug to lug.
I did not know about how important it was to torque lug nuts. I do not think I have ever seen a tire dealer or any one else do this. But I guess this does not surprise me. I have been feeling some slight pulsating at 16,000 miles and the wheels have been rotated.

three86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I did not know about how important it was to torque lug nuts. I do not think I have ever seen a tire dealer or any one else do this. But I guess this does not surprise me. I have been feeling some slight pulsating at 16,000 miles and the wheels have been rotated.
They would use an air wrench set to a specific torque which I would assume it generally works fine but then they aren't the one owning the car. It took me a few hundred dollars worth of rotors for me to be religiously exact with my lug nut torque. It only takes a couple minutes and a torque wrench is only $30. If you over tighten the lugs, drive the first lug too hard it, or run for a while with uneven torque it can cause problems. I'm not saying that is definitely the case here but something to keep in mind for troubleshooting.

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
It’s the reason why I do all the work I can myself. Usually pads need to be bedded to the rotors, I doubt they did that and you didn’t.

I haven’t had warped rotors ever. I also buy cheapest blanks I can find for rotors. I splurge on specific pads though. And I bed them every time. Most pads come w bedding instructions nowadays.
Yeah, my days of working on cars are long gone. :( I don't even have enough time to do more than run the car through the car wash at the gas station every couple of months.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
My original front rotors warped around 52K, plenty of pad left. Mostly highway miles and I'm easy on the brakes so I thought it was odd. Had a new pair put on that warped within the first 4K miles of their life. Now I'm on my 3rd set for the front and with 20K miles on those no sign of warping yet.
Wow, how many miles do you currently have on your Si?

three86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, my days of working on cars are long gone. :( I don't even have enough time to do more than run the car through the car wash at the gas station every couple of months.
Bedding brakes is something you from inside the car :) You just find a good place to do some hard stops after going fast (but not all the way to a stop) repeat that several times then afterwards keep driving with as little braking as possible to let them cool off.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
at 40kmiles my fronts started the wobble. warped roters replaced by dealer.
rears did it at about 60k.

i read somewhere that if you use ebrake with them hot after a hard session then they will warp.
since i was doing track days and autocross, i can see this could be the cause.

now that i see how many others it has happened to i am starting to think it is cheap parts or not seating properly.
although it doesn't look like not seated properly by the wear lines.

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i'm at 5.5k miles and when it rains i can definitely hear some scraping it almost sounds like one of my calipers is frozen but it goes away after a bit: anyone got any idea what this could be?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i'm at 5.5k miles and when it rains i can definitely hear some scraping it almost sounds like one of my calipers is frozen but it goes away after a bit: anyone got any idea what this could be?
these tend to pick up a lot of gravel that gets caught under the disk sheild. it makes a lot of noise then gets chucked out. no damage. just annoying.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
If you only hear it during the first stop or two, its just the rust on the rotors being worn away.