Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Via: http://wardsauto.com/engines/2016-wards-10-best-engines-test-drive-honda-civic

TRANSCRIPT:

Of the 31 contenders in the 2016 Wards 10 Best Engines competition, only two are naturally aspirated inline-4s working free of hybrid drivetrains.

The conventional 2.0L engines are found in the Hyundai Elantra and Honda Civic. Head-to-head, the Civic readily whups the Elantra in refinement and overall performance.

I spent considerable time behind the wheel of the Civic over Thanksgiving weekend. And for those who might overlook traditional technology in the softening compact-car segment, Honda seems to be asking, ‘Surprised’?

I answer in the affirmative. Mostly.

Honda has upped this all-aluminum I-4 from 143 horsepower to 158, and torque from 129 lb.-ft. to 138. The higher numbers mainly reflect the transition from the 1.8L 4-cyl. in the ’15 Civic sedan.

Honda credits the continuously variable transmission introduced in the Civic two years ago for an uptick in fuel economy and acceleration. But I missed that extra dollop of power while running in Eco Assist mode, which did give me 36.4 miles per gallon over several hundred miles of combined city and highway driving.

That’s well short of Honda’s claim of up to 42 mpg highway, but neither is it a deal-breaker in a car competitively priced at about $20,000.

Taking the Civic out of Eco provided a moderate boost in power without sacrificing much in the way of fuel economy. And with gas prices south of 2 dollars a gallon, why not? I was able to get plenty of pep out of this 10th-generation C-segment stalwart. Hence the surprise.

The new, turbocharged 1.5L 4-cylinder also available in the ’16 Civic may be drawing more attention. But Honda also is pushing ahead with the tried-and-true, and pulling it off.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I expect the 1.5T to get into the 10 Best. Lots of firsts in the industry with that motor, from torque delivery to exhaust manifold water cooling. Should be an interesting few months...

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I expect the 1.5T to get into the 10 Best. Lots of firsts in the industry with that motor, from torque delivery to exhaust manifold water cooling. Should be an interesting few months...
I think the 1.5 turbo will be named to the list as well. Maybe the new 2.0 even has a shot since it stands out for being one of the few naturally aspirated engines left.

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
How can he compare his mixed-driving mpg of 36 to the highway mileage stated by Honda of 42? That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Honda has upped this all-aluminum I-4 from 143 horsepower to 158, and torque from 129 lb.-ft. to 138. The higher numbers mainly reflect the transition from the 1.8L 4-cyl. in the ’15 Civic sedan.
OK, this sounds wrong. The way they say it, it sounds like the R18 has been worked over. Like these are related engines. We all know it is a tried and true K20...

fitftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CBR300R
It's not a K20, although its numbers are close to the K20 used in the base RSX and the EP Civic Si which had only 2 more horses than this new unit.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
It's not a K20, although its numbers are close to the K20 used in the base RSX and the EP Civic Si which had only 2 more horses than this new unit.
Not a K20 eh??
What is the engine code then?

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The 1.5 Turbo engine is also in the running for the award. There is no test drive review posted on the site for it yet.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
The exhaust manifold water cooling isn't a first, any current engine that has the exhaust manifold integrated into the head has water jackets around it I am pretty sure.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Sorry, I was wrong. I guess it is the same engine it's been since what, 2002?
By specs, it looks similar as the first Si K motor and the base RSX motor. But, unfortunately it has been changed enough, like the K24W "Earth Dreams" motors that it doesn't seem anybody has tackled tuning them yet. Somewhere on here someone did a comparo of this new K20, basically the VTC and VTEC are totally reworked, I think Honda swapped which side the VTEC is on and now VTC is on both sides?? I dunno. But I do know that the exhaust manifold is now part of the head, so that may turn off some tuning potential...

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
By specs, it looks similar as the first Si K motor and the base RSX motor. But, unfortunately it has been changed enough, like the K24W "Earth Dreams" motors that it doesn't seem anybody has tackled tuning them yet. Somewhere on here someone did a comparo of this new K20, basically the VTC and VTEC are totally reworked, I think Honda swapped which side the VTEC is on and now VTC is on both sides?? I dunno. But I do know that the exhaust manifold is now part of the head, so that may turn off some tuning potential...
Yep, this is what I posted in other threads:

For the US, the 1.5T only has dual overhead cam phasing control (VTC), but no variable lift (VTEC).

The 2.0L is a modern day K20, but with VTC on both the exhaust and intake cams, and variable lift (VTEC) on the intake side. Compare this to past K series motors which had VTEC on either/both intake and exhaust sides, and only VTC on intake side.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I think the 1.5 turbo will be named to the list as well. Maybe the new 2.0 even has a shot since it stands out for being one of the few naturally aspirated engines left.
It should have a shot with its impressive hp per liter figure.