Wanted to share my start up grinding noise

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase

going to the dealer this friday. I will update after the visit.
Sponsored

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Call your dealer now, there is a fix. Taking my CRV in on Monday
There is a fix for the CRV, supposedly, but not the 2016 Civic...7 post...CRV..I think you in the wrooong froooorum.

deltarogue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe MSM
It's a problem with the VTC Actuator. There are several threads on this forum with people discussing the same problems with their car. To my knowledge, Honda is aware of the problem in the 2016 Civics. If they truly do have a solution for the CRV's, then hopefully we don't have to wait long for a solution with our Civics.

OP
OP
lyricalyjy

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
*Update

Just came back from the dealer for the grinding noise.
I was not able to drop off my car for a full day so I had to pick it up after couple hours dropping off the car.

I took my laptop with the videos I took for the startup grinding noise. The technician confirmed that he hears the noise on the video.
But he was not able to duplicate the noise during the couple hours I dropped off my car so there is nothing they can do.

So after talking to the technician and the service person for about 30 minutes,
unless Honda posts a service bulletin or any notification concerning the issue there is not much they can do.

Kind of disappointed because I was hoping even though they could not duplicate the grinding noise themselves, the video might
helped them with the diagnosis.

I posted a photo of the dealer write up regarding my concerns FYI.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wanted to share my start up grinding noise FullSizeRender

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
taking my Touring in on Tuesday for this issue, as well as other issues:
screen glitches and locking up, sensing wipers whacked out, strange intermittent knocking noise coming from brakes from time to time?(been there twice already for this,cant duplicate), apple car play but I know Honda and Apple are working on this issue. car has 1500 miles and starting to piss me off

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They couldn't duplicate mine either. Then when I went to the car and remote started it it made the sound very loud of course no one in sight as a witness. This for me is just one of many issues with this car. Can't find another car in this price range that I like enough to buy. So I'm stuck with this thing until something good and affordable comes out.

OP
OP
lyricalyjy

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
They couldn't duplicate mine either. Then when I went to the car and remote started it it made the sound very loud of course no one in sight as a witness. This for me is just one of many issues with this car. Can't find another car in this price range that I like enough to buy. So I'm stuck with this thing until something good and affordable comes out.
Yeah... when i went today. I asked if anyone come in with the same issue and they told me i was the first one. We just gotta watch 1 or 2 years as the 10th gen civic population grows.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If it's truly the VTC actuator (irregardless of the issues found in the CRV), have the dealer keep the car overnight and then start it dead cold. What this will do is ensure the actuator engages completely cold with low lubrication. If the locking pin fails to engage, there will be enough slack in the chain to allow it to hit the timing cover. After a couple seconds of oil circulation, the PIN should fall into place to resume tension in the chain.

I'm not saying this is the issue. But the OP's vid sounds VERY close to the symptoms of a failing VTC actuator. And repeated cold startups will slowly wear down both the chain and timing cover, which in turn can lead to a rebuild should the chain slip its timing.

You can also request they check for slack in the timing chain at TDC, if possible to do with the valve cover on (i.e. through the oil cap on some DI platforms). GL.
Sponsored

Last edited: