want to install a DSP amplifier to power my sub and speakers

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
Been a while since I've posted anything related to audio on my FK8 (I was the fellow that posted the video on how to install a sub amp into their 2017 FK8).

Today I want to upgrade at the very least, the front speakers of my car but I'm not overly familiar with how to wire in the DSP.

Current setup is a LC2i in the back trunk pulling the signal and restoring the bass signal for a small aftermarket amp for my 8" sub in the stock location.

I'm assuming that all that needs to be done is take the factory speaker OUTPUT connector and splice in the DSP there correct. The DSP unit would essentially take the output of the factory amp as its input, and conversely the DSP amp's output would then continue feeding the signal to the speakers.

I was thinking of investing in this:
https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/power-amplifiers/d-51300/

So my thought process is when installing this audio control unit is:
Bring the front tweeter and front speaker signals + rear sub signals (for a total of 5 channels) to the back of the hatch area where this unit will be installed. I would then hook up the OUTPUTS of the DSP amp and double back them back to where I cut the wires (in the passenger footwell area). I will install component front speakers but NOT use the included passive crossover and instead individual amplify the components using a channel on the amp. The fronts would take up 4 out of the 5 channels leaving me with the final 5th channel that I can use for the sub. I can THEN delete the LC2i and the aftermarket amp that I had previously installed and use the space for a single DSP/amp unit to drive my upgraded speaker/sub setup. The remaining rear/center/satelite speakers will remained powered by the factory amp.

Is that a reasonable approach that would work well? I have been troving the web to see if there are break out wiring harnesses for the factory amp but it doesn't appear to exist.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Sponsored

ScubaCollie

First Name
Scuba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Civic
Country flag
Hi mate did you get this done? I'm just about to do this project but with all 4 Components in the doors and a Sub. I was going to do the same, break into/cut the existing oem amplifier output speaker wiring in the passenger footwell, run back to the DSP and then back up front to the other side of the speaker wiring running to the speakers. Would be intersted in knowing how yours went?

I have the premium audio system for reference.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I used a much cheaper JBL amp with DSP but the rest is broadly similar, and it was a great improvement. My amp sits under the passenger seat, though, but same front mids/tweeters plus sub for inputs, and then fed back into the factory speaker wiring.

I made a fiberglass sub box when I couldn't find a new sub that would fit the rear deck, but someone posted a 3d model of an adapter bracket. At some point I'll go back to the rear deck sub mounting and save some trunk space.
Sponsored