Want to get a 2018 Civic Hatchback but terrified of the fuel dilution issues

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Don't. This generation civics are garbage. Just wait for them to drop the gas engine and quality will bump back up.
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Actually this is spot-on. My 19 Touring Coupe is now a year+ old, oil changes (0W-20 Mobil1 either EP or AFE, Mobil1 M110a filters) have been performed every 5k, I do not idle the car more than 2-3 minutes, even when very cold and try to minimize short (under 5mi) trips, my driving is a roughly 80/20 highway/local mix and I generally average 35 mpg, 43 or so mostly highway using strictly Toptier fuel, most often Shell 87. I have a Blackstone UOA done just before each change, as I trust empirical data more than a "sniff" test. Here is the Fuel % measured at each interval:
5,061mi-1%
9,922mi-.8%
15,027mi-<0.5%
Note from Blackstone with this one:
"Back when these engines first came out, we were seeing a lot of excess fuel in the used oil, but Honda must have fixed this issue because instances of excess fuel in the oil have dropped quite a bit over the past year or so-at least in our testing. The flashpoint is high enough this time (405) to indicate no excess fuel present."
19,850mi-awaiting results
In May there is supposed to be a new GF6? Standard for 0W-16 & 0W-20 synthetic oils to address the unique issues with direct injection Turbocharged small displacement engines, fuel dilution and pre-ignition specifically.
I plan to look seriously at this new oil when it's available.

Essentially, drive intelligently, consider the requirements/characteristics of these engines, use a decent filter and good quality synthetic oil, change at 5k or so intervals and you should have no real issues long term.
Why do you focus on the oil filter? I use the Honda filter. You mentioned Mobil 1filter.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Why do you focus on the oil filter? I use the Honda filter. You mentioned Mobil 1filter.
Primarily because Honda used to have 2 filters, one is left, the one made by Fram, it has cardboard end caps on the media and a nitrile anti-drainback valve. I could use it and probably have no real issues, I just prefer a filter with higher build quality.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Don't. This generation civics are garbage. Just wait for them to drop the gas engine and quality will bump back up.
Definitely man complain about a civic on a civic forum

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Wait, gasoline engines in europe have particulate filters now? Boy what a pain in the neck those systems are. Our diesel work truck is down about 20% of the time only because of the exhaust sytem. Sure, the air coming out of the exhaust is just as clean (if not cleaner) than air entering the intake but with that huge system problems are bound to happen. And they will. And yes they cost a fortune to repair.
I'm not happy about it, but in Europe it is mandatory now for every gasoline car with direct injection. A lot of new cars have those and had in the last years. I hope the particulate filters in gasline cars have longer lifetime. Gasoline engines produce much less soot and there is no regeneration cycle either. I still would rather NOT have one in my car.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
This info was very helpful, along with what info Blackstone passed on to you. Hoping same case with my 2019 EX Sedan. Appreciate it man.
Update on the UOA done at 19,800mi:
Still using Mobil1 0W-20 AFE/M110A filter
Fuel % 2.0
Only real difference is I ran about 2,500 miles of this on Shell Nitro 93 fuel to see if there were any significant differences to justify the 60 cents a gallon difference (BTY-No!), and the weather here was significantly colder.j
Notes from Blackstone:
"For the most part, this is another great one for your Honda, the metal results are almost identical to what showed up last time, which is an indication of good mechanical health. The low flashpoint (345) translates to 2% oil dilution, but as a one- time thing, that's not a huge deal. Fuel didn't overly thin the oil since the viscosity was still in spec, and it could be related to operational factors like idling or taking short trips which isn't uncommon in winter months. We'll keep an eye out for fuel, but even with that, this engine still looks quite good."

Well, I'm back to using Shell 87, and it's still going to be cold for the next 2 months so we'll see if the use of 93 effected the dilution. I didn't notice any rising oil level on the stick and I check about once a week. Looking forward to seeing what the new GF-6 oil standard will effect this issue?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Update on the UOA done at 19,800mi:
Still using Mobil1 0W-20 AFE/M110A filter
Fuel % 2.0
Only real difference is I ran about 2,500 miles of this on Shell Nitro 93 fuel to see if there were any significant differences to justify the 60 cents a gallon difference (BTY-No!), and the weather here was significantly colder.j
Notes from Blackstone:
"For the most part, this is another great one for your Honda, the metal results are almost identical to what showed up last time, which is an indication of good mechanical health. The low flashpoint (345) translates to 2% oil dilution, but as a one- time thing, that's not a huge deal. Fuel didn't overly thin the oil since the viscosity was still in spec, and it could be related to operational factors like idling or taking short trips which isn't uncommon in winter months. We'll keep an eye out for fuel, but even with that, this engine still looks quite good."

Well, I'm back to using Shell 87, and it's still going to be cold for the next 2 months so we'll see if the use of 93 effected the dilution. I didn't notice any rising oil level on the stick and I check about once a week. Looking forward to seeing what the new GF-6 oil standard will effect this issue?
Could you post the actual report?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could you post the actual report?
Not sure how to do that, I'll work on it

Nope, tried several ways, never figured out how to post a picture or upload a pdf to the oil page, the only way I can figure to share it is to email you a picture of it

Phil

Last edited:

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Why do you say that? All i'm aware of is the fuel dilution, possible exploding sunroof. What else?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apple computer, don't know how to do this, tried several times, report won't fit in post
I's be glad to email it to you if you want to pm me
Sponsored