1.5T Want stronger internals for more power.. what do I need?

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys, so i'm extremely happy with my setup right now. Running the VitViper Si turbo tuned by DRob and making 260whp/250whp on stock internals and bolt ons on an extremely conservative tune. I'm already on E85 and i'm building my car mainly for track and canyons so consistent reliable power is key. At this point I want to plan for a bigger turbo but before that happens I want to build my internals to handle it. I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out with:

1. If I stay stock block, can I just install new internals like rods, pistons, valve springs, retainers, and keep driving on the same setup now until i'm ready for a bigger turbo. ( ie is there any extra work that needs to be done besides installing new internals )

2. Best way to get around the crappy base ecu and it's super sensitive KC?

3. Besides rods, what should I actually replace to ensure reliability?

4. What's your opinion on the best way to get to 350whp reliably?

My eventual goal is 350whp/350tq reliably with a usable power band. I already have an MFactory LSD installed so planning on keeping the stock transmission. I love my FK7 but it doesn't seem like too many people are modifying them to extreme extents and I do understand why. I'm trying to sell myself on continuing building my FK7 but i'm getting tired of people asking if it's a Type R and why I didn't get one with all the money i've already spent. Eventually it just gets to you and you start questioning your own sanity lol. Anyways appreciate any advice you guys can give me!
Sponsored

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have rods and pistons on my list of future mods. Curious to see what the world says about this.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
350Hp is far too hot for a 1.5L to run around a track.
You will want an upgraded intercooler, mid pipe, and slightly larger exhaust (2.25 max). That will keep your torque at a more manageable level down low.
When going for an upgraded turbo, stick with lower boost if sticking with E85. Let the Octane give you the power not the higher boost. If you stuck with 270hp and 250ft lbs, you would be strong for the kind of pulls you’d need going around a track.
I know that this sounds outlandish, but it is “The Road Less Travelled”. You will be cooler and really strong around tracks w/o running into overheating. They aren’t numbers you would get a great deal of praise from, but if you have any driving prowess about you - you would sing around a track better than most.
Think about some brake upgrades, like pads and rotors w/steel braded lines.

Food for thought...

P.S.
You wouldn’t need to upgrade your internals if religiously using higher octane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
You would want to upgrade the BPV also.
Please don't suggest anyone ditch the stock BPV in favor of something else; the factory BPV is not a problem. I've used it in applications in excess of 31psi without leak...

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You will want an upgraded intercooler, mid pipe, and slightly larger exhaust (2.5” max). That will keep your torque at a more manageable level down low.
When going for an upgraded turbo, stick with lower boost if sticking with E85. Let the Octane give you the power not the higher boost. If you stuck with 280-90hp and 250ft lbs, you would be strong for the kind of pulls you’d need going around a track. You would want to upgrade the BPV also.
I know that this sounds outlandish, but it is “The Road Less Travelled”. You will be cooler and really strong around tracks w/o running into overheating. They aren’t numbers you would get a great deal of praise from, but if you have any driving prowess about you - you would sing around a track better than most.

Food for thought...

P.S.
You wouldn’t need to upgrade your internals.
I'm running PRL DP/UP, upgraded IC and piping, and intake along with the VitViper turbo. I don't think you read anything I wrote. I also already have upgraded Wilwood 6 piston BBK up front along with SS lines and wheels and tires and BC Racing coilovers running 8kg/5kg.

Again, looking for what I need to do to make internals stronger so they can handle more power reliably.

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please don't suggest anyone ditch the stock BPV in favor of something else; the factory BPV is not a problem. I've used it in applications in excess of 31psi without leak...
This guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Really just repeating stuff he's read online probably.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running PRL DP/UP, upgraded IC and piping, and intake along with the VitViper turbo. I don't think you read anything I wrote. I also already have upgraded Wilwood 6 piston BBK up front along with SS lines and wheels and tires and BC Racing coilovers running 8kg/5kg.

Again, looking for what I need to do to make internals stronger so they can handle more power reliably.
Get a type R :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: or an Si

MacKharoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2000,2017 hatch sport
Country flag
Dude check out my ride I have prlturbo on my ffk7 fbo I make like almost 300hp.stock internals though with Mfctory LSD.

I wonder what is the best way to get around the base ecu from it sensitive Knock control. Can swapping the base to si ecu work?
@jetlifescholar on ig

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I read plenty of what you had written.

Hey guys, so i'm extremely happy with my setup right now. Running the VitViper Si turbo tuned by DRob and making 260whp/250whp on stock internals and bolt ons on an extremely conservative tune. I'm already on E85 and i'm building my car mainly for track and canyons so consistent reliable power is key. At this point I want to plan for a bigger turbo but before that happens I want to build my internals to handle it. I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out with:

1. If I stay stock block, can I just install new internals like rods, pistons, valve springs, retainers, and keep driving on the same setup now until i'm ready for a bigger turbo. ( ie is there any extra work that needs to be done besides installing new internals )

2. Best way to get around the crappy base ecu and it's super sensitive KC?

3. Besides rods, what should I actually replace to ensure reliability?

4. What's your opinion on the best way to get to 350whp reliably?

My eventual goal is 350whp/350tq reliably with a usable power band. I already have an MFactory LSD installed so planning on keeping the stock transmission. I love my FK7 but it doesn't seem like too many people are modifying them to extreme extents and I do understand why. I'm trying to sell myself on continuing building my FK7 but i'm getting tired of people asking if it's a Type R and why I didn't get one with all the money i've already spent. Eventually it just gets to you and you start questioning your own sanity lol. Anyways appreciate any advice you guys can give me!
You mention using your build for "mainly track", "consistent reliable power", planning on a "bigger turbo", and "appreciating any advice".

You will want an upgraded intercooler, mid pipe, and slightly larger exhaust (2.5” max). That will keep your torque at a more manageable level down low.
When going for an upgraded turbo, stick with lower boost if sticking with E85. Let the Octane give you the power not the higher boost. If you stuck with 280-90hp and 250ft lbs, you would be strong for the kind of pulls you’d need going around a track. You would want to upgrade the BPV also.

Food for thought...

P.S.
You wouldn’t need to upgrade your internals.
I was on a mobile device initially and did not see your entire signature line with your modifications, but I did read your post. Also, mentioning the addition of an upgraded BPV isn't hurting anything - although @D-RobIMW thought it to be inappropriate, it causes no harm.
However, you will not achieve a track car on a 1.5L with the #'s you are after with the heat signature it will generate.
I will add to by saying that you could have TWO Tunes - One for the BIG # and One for the track.
Like I humbly stated, "The Road Less Travelled".

This guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Really just repeating stuff he's read online probably.
No need for the cockiness, you're the one asking for "any advice". A serious inquiry would be held with a reputable tuner.

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I read plenty of what you had written.

You mention using your build for "mainly track", "consistent reliable power", planning on a "bigger turbo", and "appreciating any advice".

I was on a mobile device initially and did not see your entire signature line with your modifications, but I did read your post. Also, mentioning the addition of an upgraded BPV isn't hurting anything - although @D-RobIMW thought it to be inappropriate, it causes no harm.
However, you will not achieve a track car on a 1.5L with the #'s you are after with the heat signature it will generate.
I will add to by saying that you could have TWO Tunes - One for the BIG # and One for the track.
Like I humbly stated, "The Road Less Travelled".

No need for the cockiness, you're the one asking for "any advice". A serious inquiry would be held with a reputable tuner.

AGAIN.. i'm not looking for opinions on what makes a track car. The fact that you think a 1.5L isn't capable of the power i'm looking for shows a lack of understanding of the platform. I know 350whp is achievable but fuel and strength of internal components are the limiting factor. I know a few companies have port injection kits coming out so eventually i'll be switching to full E85. I'm looking for advice on building the internals stronger to handle more power so really nothing you've said has any merit pertaining to my post.

And regarding BPV.. I think i'll trust DRob over your "opinion". If he says not to worry about the stock BPV, i'm not going to worry about it.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
AGAIN.. i'm not looking for opinions on what makes a track car. The fact that you think a 1.5L isn't capable of the power i'm looking for shows a lack of understanding of the platform. I know 350whp is achievable but fuel and strength of internal components are the limiting factor. I know a few companies have port injection kits coming out so eventually i'll be switching to full E85. I'm looking for advice on building the internals stronger to handle more power so really nothing you've said has any merit pertaining to my post.

And regarding BPV.. I think i'll trust DRob over your "opinion". If he says not to worry about the stock BPV, i'm not going to worry about it.
Re-read what I disclosed. No where did I mention anything about the ability to make power.
Best of luck with your high power output; as it will never be a track car. Yes, you do mention track.

You are going to need a larger turbo.
A Stage 4 clutch
Someone that can work the shortfall in fueling
Pistons & Rods

Now, get your Tuner on board.

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Re-read what I disclosed. No where did I mention anything about the ability to make power.
Best of luck with your high power output; as it will never be a track car. Yes, you do mention track.

You are going to need a larger turbo.
A Stage 4 clutch
Someone that can work the shortfall in fueling
Pistons & Rods

Now, get your Tuner on board.
Stop replying. I literally already mentioned everything you said.
1. Already mentioned planning going with PRL for bigger turbo upgrade
2. Already running Stage 2+ clutch that can handle up to 449lbs of tq
3. Already mentioned waiting for someone to release a port injection kit to run full e85
4. This whole stupid thread was about seeing what the best way to mod for 350whp ie what internals or etc are necessary.

Would love some real input or first hand experience from someone who read my post and would like to give some advice.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stop replying. I literally already mentioned everything you said.
1. Already mentioned planning going with PRL for bigger turbo upgrade
2. Already running Stage 2+ clutch that can handle up to 449lbs of tq
3. Already mentioned waiting for someone to release a port injection kit to run full e85
4. This whole stupid thread was about seeing what the best way to mod for 350whp ie what internals or etc are necessary.

Would love some real input or first hand experience from someone who read my post and would like to give some advice.
Motor Swap to an Si one

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Motor Swap to an Si one
Isnt the Si block the same as the base? Just slightly stronger internals? Might as well just build my engine with fresh internals right?
Sponsored