Want more power!

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
As far as mods go, I don't think those 2 are very high on the chance to damage your engine or transmission scale. An example of a more dangerous mod would be slapping a turbo on the K20C2, in my opinion. Mainly you just want to stay on top of maintenance on the car for maximum longevity.
I was talking about ktuner and dp lul
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
A KTuner tune for your CVT will not only give you the extra power you want, but it should also do it relatively safely. I too was concerned with how a tune may affect the CVT in my car (even made a post about it) but then I realized that most if not all transmissions have a good amount of headroom before it starts to get unsafe. If all you're doing is the KTuner and not some crazy mods, drivetrain reliability shouldn't be an issue. The extra power/torque generated from the tune should be nowhere near to the point where it damages your car. But just dont expect much more than that power wise, if you're really chasing after bigger numbers and the whole modding scene, you're definitely better off with a different car or at least a turbo Civic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seanjohn

Seanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex Sedan (K20C2)
Country flag
A KTuner tune for your CVT will not only give you the extra power you want, but it should also do it relatively safely. I too was concerned with how a tune may affect the CVT in my car (even made a post about it) but then I realized that most if not all transmissions have a good amount of headroom before it starts to get unsafe. If all you're doing is the KTuner and not some crazy mods, drivetrain reliability shouldn't be an issue. The extra power/torque generated from the tune should be nowhere near to the point where it damages your car. But just dont expect much more than that power wise, if you're really chasing after bigger numbers and the whole modding scene, you're definitely better off with a different car or at least a turbo Civic.
Awesome, most definitely getting a Ktuner. I am not looking to get a whole lot of power, just want a bit better performance that’s it. Already got a flow master one chamber on my exhaust and deleted the resonator.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LXP
Country flag
Generally the same model except an LXP.

RV6 Catless Downpipe
AEM Cold Air Intake
Invidia N1 Exhaust
KTuner

I always have a smile on my face when cruising or pushing it; recently hit 120mph w/o having the pedal to the floor.
There aren't too many mods available for the K20C2 engine performance. Especially since compatibility is a big issue with other Honda/Acura parts, given the 2.0 engine is similar to the Type R, and the chassis is similar to an Si. Headers and such for the engine, work for motor swap of the K20C2 to an older Civic body.
Outside of the KTuner or Hondata and the RV6 Downpipe being catted or catless - the other items have a wide variety of brands to choose from to get the feeling you seek.

P.S. I have not put it on a dyno or had it custom tuned yet. So hp/tq are currently a mystery.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Sell the car and get a Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Anything turbo'ed or do a 5spd swap/turbo. It is a NA 2.0 engine with a CVT. The power gain on most mod is limited and then you have to worry about breaking the CVT down the road. You can read those blown CVT posts on here already.

Last edited:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I bought a Ktuner for my 1.5t. To be honest, the gain from the base map and tsp wasn't mind blowing or feeling excited in the long run for me. Traded in my 1.5t for a 2019 gti, it put a smile on me everyday :D

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Sell the car and get a Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Anything turbo'ed or do a 5spd swap/turbo. It is a NA 2.0 engine with a CVT. The power gain on most mod is limited and then you have to worry about breaking the CVT down the road. You can read those blown CVT posts on here already.
2.0 isnt really an enthusiasts dream when it comes to modding. But if you read the "blown" cvt posts then you'll realize very few of them (if any) actually just blew up from a base tune. They all usually have a lot of bolt ons and mods done to the car and/or have abused it as well. I can almost guarantee that a CVT will not blow up from a mere base tune.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It always amazes me reading how you shouldn't tune a CVT car and yet throughout the board (including my survey), CVT's are doing quite well with tunes.

The fact is tuning makes our cars more fun and for the most part (if tuned properly and not abused), are proving reliable.

It seems to me most (not all) of the people berating tuning and especially tuning with a CVT aren't talking from experience.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I bought a Ktuner for my 1.5t. To be honest, the gain from the base map and tsp wasn't mind blowing or feeling excited in the long run for me. Traded in my 1.5t for a 2019 gti, it put a smile on me everyday :D
When I drive my friend's 2019 GTI it feels like a fat pig that skips all over the road. No composure at all for being a "sporty car" or "hot hatch".

Not to mention they just had to replace his 7 speed DSG under warranty, after trying to blame his K&N filter.

I get it if the Civic wasn't for you and the GTI is more your style, but if you were looking for something GTI level, you dun shopped wrong by buying an EX-T and not an Si.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2.0 isnt really an enthusiasts dream when it comes to modding. But if you read the "blown" cvt posts then you'll realize very few of them (if any) actually just blew up from a base tune. They all usually have a lot of bolt ons and mods done to the car and/or have abused it as well. I can almost guarantee that a CVT will not blow up from a mere base tune.

For 1, That his essential daily driver, have fun try to figure out what will or will not blow up the transmission.

Not sure what you read, I specifically said worry about blowing up "DOWN THE ROAD".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seanjohn

Seanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex Sedan (K20C2)
Country flag
Update! I ended up getting a ktuner v2 and using the base map just to see what’s up. Damn you can definitely notice a huge difference on the throttle response and that vtech kicking in at 5,300 rpms is a huge difference. Already satisfied with the performance. That’s I really wanted, maybe going to be getting an AEM intake but later down the road after I recover from paying for the ktuner! ? I’m pretty satisfied with the power it has now because it’s also at the same time my daily driver. Thank you everyone for the input. Please new mods come out for the K20C2 please put them on here. Would love to see what else is out there just to know.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
For 1, That his essential daily driver, have fun try to figure out what will or will not blow up the transmission.

Not sure what you read, I specifically said worry about blowing up "DOWN THE ROAD".
I read correctly. There's literally a tuning survey with all the people who have tuned a civics which includes a bunch of CVT's (some low and some higher mileage) and theres barely any CVT failures in comparison to the responses. And of the CVT's that have failed, I have yet to find any that just fallen apart on a car with just a base tune and nothing more or a car that wasnt abused somewhat.

The thing that kills transmisisons and especially these CVT's when modding is torque. In the 2.0's case, its even better off because the torque isnt turned up all that much and there are mostly mid to higher rpm range gains which are pretty safe for any transmission/drivetrain especially for something so mild like an ECU tune on a naturally aspirated motor.

Obviously modifying any car runs some amount of risk, but the risk is very low even "down the road".

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I read correctly. There's literally a tuning survey with all the people who have tuned a civics which includes a bunch of CVT's (some low and some higher mileage) and theres barely any CVT failures in comparison to the responses. And of the CVT's that have failed, I have yet to find any that just fallen apart on a car with just a base tune and nothing more or a car that wasnt abused somewhat.

The thing that kills transmisisons and especially these CVT's when modding is torque. In the 2.0's case, its even better off because the torque isnt turned up all that much and there are mostly mid to higher rpm range gains which are pretty safe for any transmission/drivetrain especially for something so mild like an ECU tune on a naturally aspirated motor.

Obviously modifying any car runs some amount of risk, but the risk is very low even "down the road".
You said it yourself that the CVT is limiting the tuning potential.....down the road means adding more torque and power beyond this little tune. A base trim Model 3 will blow this thing off no what he tune. Go ahead, keep writing paragraphs.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've been reading the banter between jred and xcore and I definitely side with jred. Tuning has been a blessing for those of us who wanted a bit more power with our CVT vehicles. The tune pros like Doug and JR and Derek aren't just slapping on more power. They designed the tunes being mindful of the CVT.

Most of my cars have been manual transmissions and I was initially disappointed with the CVT. Tuning has transformed my car and the driveability is outstanding.

And for the record "down the road" is a phrase that implies "in the future" not "adding more torque and power beyond this little tune". And how did comparing our cars to a Tesla even come up?
Sponsored

Last edited: