Walmart Quality LED footwell lighting isn't actually terrible

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Poor college kid trying his hardest here. When I bought the car, the only option it did not have that I wanted was the footwell lighting. Not wanting to pay dealership prices, I decided to visit the place where ALL the good car parts come from, Walmart. My search for glorious footwell illumination led me down that aisle crowded with Pioneer sound systems and subwoofers larger than my wheel. Buried deep in the bowels of this aisle, between trailer hitches and fidget spinners, I find a display of light to rival the Chinese New Year. The spectacle before me revealed lights of all shapes, sizes, and quality. I dug through the collection of illumination and discovered this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive-10-Car-Light-Bars-Multi-Color/36065960
The one and only kit that would plug into that nefarious cigarette lighter that I can't reach for a challenge free install. I'm a journalist, not an electrician. There was no way I was going to try to figure out how to be practical and splice these wires in.
And so with minimal effort, a small silver button let forth a mighty glow (actually it is a pretty good amount of light, better than you would expect for Walmart) and I was off for a blissfully well lit drive.
I'll probably come up with a practical reason for these lights, but probably not.
Thanks for reading I think.

Honda Civic 10th gen Walmart Quality LED footwell lighting isn't actually terrible IMG_0136-2
Sponsored

tenshiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT, 2014 Mitsubishi RVR LE, 2018 Civic Type R #14978
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad you found something that works for you and that you're happy with it, even if it is from Walmart :thumbsup:
10/10 would read again.

OP
OP
BrianDevin

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how and where did you mount them?
that may be the the most well written piece I've ever seen on a automotive forum lol
The kit has the tape to mount it already, so I attached them into that one narrow flat bit in the driver footwell and under the bracket for the glovebox.
I figured nobody would want to read a boring “I did this with this” type of thing so I added some pizzazz

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
The kit has the tape to mount it already, so I attached them into that one narrow flat bit in the driver footwell and under the bracket for the glovebox.
I figured nobody would want to read a boring “I did this with this” type of thing so I added some pizzazz
I bought some of these 10+ years ago from walmart for my then Accord but I didn't know they were for the footwell so I stuck them on my rear glass with some velcro.

Pantera6669

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe EX-T
I just did this today. Really like how it turned out. All wires are routed behind the dash and glovebox, it looks pretty clean.

Honda Civic 10th gen Walmart Quality LED footwell lighting isn't actually terrible IMG_20171112_170344351_HDR

Frankakee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX L WOP
Country flag
I was almost thinking the USB powered Christmas lights from target might work if you could tuck them in and hide them under the dash. They are like $5.
Poor college kid trying his hardest here. When I bought the car, the only option it did not have that I wanted was the footwell lighting. Not wanting to pay dealership prices, I decided to visit the place where ALL the good car parts come from, Walmart. My search for glorious footwell illumination led me down that aisle crowded with Pioneer sound systems and subwoofers larger than my wheel. Buried deep in the bowels of this aisle, between trailer hitches and fidget spinners, I find a display of light to rival the Chinese New Year. The spectacle before me revealed lights of all shapes, sizes, and quality. I dug through the collection of illumination and discovered this
The one and only kit that would plug into that nefarious cigarette lighter that I can't reach for a challenge free install. I'm a journalist, not an electrician. There was no way I was going to try to figure out how to be practical and splice these wires in.
And so with minimal effort, a small silver button let forth a mighty glow (actually it is a pretty good amount of light, better than you would expect for Walmart) and I was off for a blissfully well lit drive.
I'll probably come up with a practical reason for these lights, but probably not.

IMG_0136-2.jpg
Almost felt like I could hear the narrator from A Christmas Story reading this.

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
Can anybody recommend a USB powered option for this? I use the cigarette lighter to quick charge my Galaxy S8+. The USB port in the car doesn't work for audio playback on Android, nor does it charge my device if its in any use (music/nav or even both). That being said I'd rather use the USB port for the lights and 12V for my phone. Unless anyone can tell me how to get my USB port to do music with my Galaxy.

Pantera6669

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe EX-T
Can anybody recommend a USB powered option for this? I use the cigarette lighter to quick charge my Galaxy S8+. The USB port in the car doesn't work for audio playback on Android, nor does it charge my device if its in any use (music/nav or even both). That being said I'd rather use the USB port for the lights and 12V for my phone. Unless anyone can tell me how to get my USB port to do music with my Galaxy.
Bluetooth isn't an option for music for you?

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
Bluetooth isn't an option for music for you?
Thats how I do it, but I also run navigation so to keep my battery up I usually always charge while driving. I just want a setup that doesn't require me to switch plugs around if I want lighting or charging lol
I guess my issue was that last sentence, I was king of hinting at just living with the poor charging ability of the port if it meant I didn't need to use bluetooth (which drains more battery)

atandukar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Country flag

IMG_0136-2.jpg
hate to break it to you but amazon has better ones for $7.99 (2 for front and 2 for back with music/sound response)...

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Are these intended to run all the time it's dark out? I kind of like the look but also don't quite understand... It's cheap enough to be cool to just try out. Could they be connected to come on and go off with the doors opening? I don't know much about wiring, so that may be complex...
Sponsored