"Walk Away" Locking Inconsistently Working

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I like the feature and it has worked fine since I changed my key fob.
https://keyprotek.com/collections/honda
I just added the leather rope for $8.99 below. Love the D ring. Nothing else on my key ring. I keep a house key in my briefcase.

Honda Civic 10th gen "Walk Away" Locking Inconsistently Working product-image-734747460_medium
Sponsored

Ayelith

First Name
Joni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had this happen roughly 10% of the time with my 2018 CTR. Proximity to the front doors doesn't seem to matter, and my key is always in the exact same spot so it isn't like it's being blocked by anything it wouldn't be normally (it's in the outer pocket of a leather purse). Not a huge deal, but it can be a minor annoyance.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have this thing enabled on my car, but it will intermittently lock itself. Sometimes I'm sitting in the car waiting for my wife to come out of the store and it will decide to lock the doors on its own. Sometimes I will put it in the garage and next morning it is locked. Sometimes I am washing the car and it decides to lock itself. There is no consistency to this. It may happen at any time depending on its mood. I hate this thing!
When I first read this I was thinking of the auto-lock timer. But then you said it does it in the garage intermittently. That’s super weird.

OP
OP
NCMattJ

NCMattJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
UPDATE: It has only been about 24 hours but so far, removing that Ghostbusters medallion from my key ring seems to have helped. I am also staying close by until I hear the first beep. Thanks for the ideas, gents and ladies!

HotPaperPlate

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE: It has only been about 24 hours but so far, removing that Ghostbusters medallion from my key ring seems to have helped. I am also staying close by until I hear the first beep. Thanks for the ideas, gents and ladies!
Works very well for me, as soon as I get out and close the door it locks without waiting for it. You should be hearing two beeps. One beep when you close the door and another security re-lock as you are walking away. If you don't hear two beeps, go into your Settings > Door/Window > Security Relock > On 30 seconds. The relock doesn't take 30 seconds but I believe it relocks after 30 second if you didn't lock it the first time.

Also try and turn off and turn back on the auto lock + security relock features. (resetting it)

Check your remote battery, I had to change mine even though its a brand new car.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also get the beeping randomly after getting in the car, yet starting the car is no problem, so it doesn't detect the fob while it detects the fob :crazy:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Phone and keys when in same pocket causes issues for me, so try putting each one in each pocket that might help it.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
As some said. I would rather it remind me with three beeps. I normally press the lock and make sure it is locked at work. It is a security safety feature for me. I have only had the beeps in my garage at home. Changed my keychain a bit. Noting is perfect, but I would rather work with it than not have my car locked. Either way, it tells me if it is not locked. Thankfully.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The biggest problem of this feature is that i am not used to lock cars anymore, so i often forget to press the button when i drive the other family car, a couple of times a month. I left it open several times overnight and it's easy to spot because the mirrors retract when locked. Fortunately nobody touches cars here and nothing happened.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^Same here, the feature has certainly spoiled me too haha.
Sponsored