Walk away lock feature problems

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I hate other people filling up my tank. One time I was getting gas on the NJ turnpike and had to ask the attendant to stop overfilling the car.

But back on target, I leave the driver's side door slightly ajar while filling up. That way the car will not autolock if I step too far away from it.
As far as the auto locking at pump. I'm gunna do this!! Makes sense. Lol. So obvious. Achems razor!!!
Thanks.
Sponsored

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I am having problems with the walk-away locking feature, too. Bought the car in the summer and it worked a little better than 70% of the time. Lately, probability of it working is around 25%. I am not sure if it is because the electronic components are aging or because of the cold weather. When it is -20C outside, it never works.

The key fob battery was changed and I have experimented with all sorts of ways of exiting the car. Lately, I have been getting the rapid beeps when getting in the car, after the door closes.

The pushbutton start and the doorhandle auto unlock has never failed.

There is no point in taking it back to the dealer until they have a definitive repair plan or update from Honda. There was a Canadian Service Bulletin, but I think it only applies to 2017 models. Other than that, all the dealer can do is throw parts at it.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the service bulletin for the walk away auto lock performed today at the dealership. They replaced the body control module with a new updated unit from Honda, reprogrammed the fobs and all is now working properly. Took about 3 hours.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring sedan, and I have same issues with my walk away auto lock feature and gas door issues.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring sedan, and I have same issues with my walk away auto lock feature and gas door issues.
It's doing what it's supposed to do. So do as the one poster does. Just leave door cracked. Don't close it all the way and it will not auto lock when refueling. Perfect solution if you like this feature. The dealer told me it's doing what it supposed to do and if you don't like it just shut it off but the one poster said this solution and it seems to work. For last 8,000 miles I left fob inside car. Lol. No more! Just leave door open don't shut it. Problem solved. Mathdydx gets credit for posting this bypass of the solution to the problem.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's doing what it's supposed to do. So do as the one poster does. Just leave door cracked. Don't close it all the way and it will not auto lock when refueling. Perfect solution if you like this feature. The dealer told me it's doing what it supposed to do and if you don't like it just shut it off but the one poster said this solution and it seems to work. For last 8,000 miles I left fob inside car. Lol. No more! Just leave door open don't shut it. Problem solved. Mathdydx gets credit for posting this bypass of the solution to the problem.
This is exactly what I do, just leave the door cracked unless I go inside to get coffee or whatever. Works everytime and its not really a big deal overall

MrCryer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I am having problems with the walk-away locking feature, too. Bought the car in the summer and it worked a little better than 70% of the time. Lately, probability of it working is around 25%. I am not sure if it is because the electronic components are aging or because of the cold weather. When it is -20C outside, it never works.

The key fob battery was changed and I have experimented with all sorts of ways of exiting the car. Lately, I have been getting the rapid beeps when getting in the car, after the door closes.

There is no point in taking it back to the dealer until they have a definitive repair plan or update from Honda. There was a Canadian Service Bulletin, but I think it only applies to 2017 models. Other than that, all the dealer can do is throw parts at it.
I have been having the same problems with my 2016 Civic EX, but I narrowed it down to the driver side sensor in the door it was loose. I could pull it out of the door with ease. I pulled it out slightly and used some double sided 3m adhesive paper around the plastic that makes contact with the door, and put it back in place, and have had no trouble since. The dealership mechanics kept telling me there was no problems, and every time I would get back in the car they would have turned off the walk away auto lock. Honda USA has had a complaint on file 3 days after I purchased the car. so i finally narrowed down the problem myself and fixed it. my doors and trunk now auto lock 99% of the time.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I have been having the same problems with my 2016 Civic EX, but I narrowed it down to the driver side sensor in the door it was loose. I could pull it out of the door with ease. I pulled it out slightly and used some double sided 3m adhesive paper around the plastic that makes contact with the door, and put it back in place, and have had no trouble since. The dealership mechanics kept telling me there was no problems, and every time I would get back in the car they would have turned off the walk away auto lock. Honda USA has had a complaint on file 3 days after I purchased the car. so i finally narrowed down the problem myself and fixed it. my doors and trunk now auto lock 99% of the time.
I don't even remember if the Si has that walk-away lock feature or not, because if it does we (me and the salesman) turned it off at the delivery demo. Technology is cool when it works... but when it breaks or 'overworks', I don't want it.

genovanelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Where do you find the driver side sensor to check it? Is it the round rubber seal/gasket on the inside?

genovanelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Where do you find the sensor? Is it the round rubber seal/gasket on the door flange?

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would love to know the solution as well, i have tried so many different postions for the key fob, away from things with no interference, on my belt loop ect..with making it only somewhat better then when its in my pocket next to my Cell phone. its not full proof tho. also sometimes it won't unlock for me unless i jiggle my key in my pocket then it works, and i also sometimes gets the rapid beep when i get in my car, i think the last 2 tho are interference from my Cell phone, but the Auto lock should work when its on my belt loop and that only works 80% of the time. So I think @MrCryer has the best solution to this and I would love to know how to do this

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I had the service bulletin for the walk away auto lock performed today at the dealership. They replaced the body control module with a new updated unit from Honda, reprogrammed the fobs and all is now working properly. Took about 3 hours.
Where did you get the bulletin? My dealer seems clueless!

I’m also having an issue with the remote starter. When I do it once, it lasts 10 minutes. You’re supposed to be able to do it a second time within that initial 10 minutes and it is supposed to extend it to 20 minutes total. Whenever I do the 20 minutes one it never lasts 20 minutes. It does turn on and warm up a bit, but I’ve come out at 15 minutes and even 7 minutes and my car has been off again. Hell, it’s even turned off as I was approaching it. I wonder if this same module is to blame. Really annoying.

Do you have a reference number to the bulletin that I can point to so they replace my module with the new version?

Thanks!

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase

What was the Canadian service bulletin for? I have the 2017 model and my dealer seems clueless to it.
Sponsored