Walk away lock feature problems

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My phone and fob are always in left and right pants pockets, and I still have the problem once in a while. I think it fails less frequently when I go directly away from the car perpendicularly for a step or two before walking back towards the trunk (which is not possible in the garage). Hope someone figures why this is happening and what the fix is.
It's a great concept and does have some issues. I guess it's not that hard to just let the door close and just hit the button on door handle. I like to leave my key in my pocket also. I guess that's why the 2017 Accord still doesn't have this feature 'Walk Away' lock. Maybe they will perfect it in future.
Sponsored

ghostie

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX-P
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm trying to help people on here and he comes and states that I'm completely backwards. I had this issue and I know that maybe this will apply to others. But also there might be some issues with there cars. Rather than try what I had to say and comes out with the comments like that doesn't help anyone.
Okay, but you've already stated your suggestion. That's it, you finished. Job done. Whether they want to follow what you told them or not is their choice. Let them do whatever, if what they do doesn't work, maybe they'll try your suggestion. You shouldn't get so heated over a question in the forum dude, just calm down.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Okay, but you've already stated your suggestion. That's it, you finished. Job done. Whether they want to follow what you told them or not is their choice. Let them do whatever, if what they do doesn't work, maybe they'll try your suggestion. You shouldn't get so heated over a question in the forum dude, just calm down.
I'm over it dude. That's not even what started it. When someone wants to correct me if I were wrong by all means I will take suggestions. But not when I've corrected this issue and confirmed it with a dealer and then someone stated I'm all backwards and dumb yeah. I'm going to defend myself. That's what started it FYI

Last edited:

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just received an email from the service manager at my Honda dealer telling me that Honda Canada has identified the problem and will be issuing a Service Bulletin to resolve it. My dealer is now testing the fix on their in stock 2017 Touring Coupe and will let me know if the problem is fixed.

Checking the Honda Canada recall lookup for my VIN, I get this message:

• An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.

Last edited:

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just received an email from my Honda dealer telling me that Honda Canada has identified the problem and will be issuing a Service Bulletin for this problem. My dealer is now testing the fix on their in stock 2017 Touring Coupe and will let me know if the problem is fixed.

Checking the Honda Canada recall lookup for my VIN, I get this message:

• An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.
This is for your 2017 coupe? My Civic has issues here and there but seriously wireless systems always are quirky but in your case you definitely have a problem with hardware. I think you stated the control module or something possibly different than my '16 Civic Touring? Do you have a picture of the infotainment screen where it shows 'walk-away lock' feature that it's enabled. Can I see that screen on your car?
Hope it's a simple update or something.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Here are the conditions that must be met. I'll upload a pic from manual. Remember if it's at the dealer make sure to have all spare keys far away except the one you used to unlock it. Like I said it's a 'walk' away feature meaning when you shut the door that key must be within range (in your pocket) as soon as you shut it it will beep; then as you 'walk away' It will lock.
But I'm not sure if this recall or bulletin will affect the 2016 Civic Touring or not. Maybe it's just for your 2017 Coupe? We will see Did you or dealer ever unplug battery for 15 minutes maybe to do a reset?

Honda Civic 10th gen Walk away lock feature problems IMG_1002.PNG

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is for your 2017 coupe? My Civic has issues here and there but seriously wireless systems always are quirky but in your case you definitely have a problem with hardware. I think you stated the control module or something possibly different than my '16 Civic Touring? Do you have a picture of the infotainment screen where it shows 'walk-away lock' feature that it's enabled. Can I see that screen on your car?
Hope it's a simple update or something.
As I've stated previously, yes verified walk away auto lock was enabled. It wasn't me that discovered the problem. It was the dealer. They have been working independently with Honda Canada on this problem since November. I haven't been involved other than receiving updates from them. They have kept a 2017 Touring Coupe at the dealership under a stop sale just to diagnose the problem. Part numbers for the body control module is different for the 2017 Touring Coupe from other 2017 sedans and from the 2016 Touring Coupe. They have been very diligent in this matter and I highly recommend this dealership - Castle Honda in Toronto.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are the conditions that must be met. I'll upload a pic from manual. Remember if it's at the dealer make sure to have all spare keys far away except the one you used to unlock it. Like I said it's a 'walk' away feature meaning when you shut the door that key must be within range (in your pocket) as soon as you shut it it will beep; then as you 'walk away' It will lock.
But I'm not sure if this recall or bulletin will affect the 2016 Civic Touring or not. Maybe it's just for your 2017 Coupe? We will see

IMG_1002.PNG
It is NOT user error.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It is NOT user error.
Nope definitely not user error. They probably tried to iron out the issues with the 2016 and maybe made things worse hence different part numbers. But in any case the button on outside door handle is a nice touch. It's easy enough as you still can just leave the key in your pocket so it's still a totally key-less car in that sense.
I just bought the 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring and since it's the older Gen there is no 'walk-away' lock feature. So I don't have to worry about that feature on the Hybrid.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope definitely not user error. They probably tried to iron out the issues with the 2016 and maybe made things worse hence different part numbers. But in any case the button on outside door handle is a nice touch. It's easy enough as you still can just leave the key in your pocket so it's still a totally key-less car in that sense.
Yes, I honestly don't miss the auto lock feature, and I've been using the lock button on the door since picking up the car 2 months ago. It's just nice to know that the dealer didn't brush off the problem and has actually been working with Honda to resolve it.

genovanelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
I have been experiencing problems with the walk away lock feature on my new Civic. It happens randomly. When I get out of the car, FOB is in my purse, the car does the long beep signaling that the FOB is still in the car. So the doors don't lock. I can use the FOB and lock the doors. Sometimes if I open the door or trunk a second time, then the auto lock works. No rhyme or reason. Anyone else having this issue?
I have taken my Civic 2016 EX-T to the dealer 3 times for the exact same problem. They said that the problem did not re-occurr while in the shop, therefore they could do nothing to resolve the issue. It still continues. It clearly is an inconvenience and something that we're paying for that doesn't work but I'm not sure there is anything else to do at this point. I may take it in a 4th time; haven't decided. It's still under warranty....

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's just that it is a signal issue or could be a recall soon.
'Response to Beanies post: ' But it sounds like if you read the last posts it being in your purse could be the issue.
Do you have your cell phone in there as well, along with a set of house keys? The key has as you know a short distance signal that a phone or other metal objects in your purse to be blocking it. If your dealer couldn't replicate it might sound as if maybe your walking away too quick from car after shutting driver door. Try with nothing but fob in your pant pocket then close door but don't walk away so fast. See if that helps. Make sure you don't have other keys near it like house keys. That metal might block signal here and there. Is this a random thing? I know my car doesnt lock 1 in 20 or 30 times. No biggie just use the button on door , very simple no need to take out fob to lock car -still totally keyless'. Some here have stated they are experiencing a total non working 'walk away' feature. In their cases a definite issue.

Last edited:

kimonostereo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone has had the issue where you are trying to fill up gas, you are within proximity of the vehicle but the car auto locks thus locking the gas cover. Had this happen this weekend and notice that when I walk toward the trunk of the car, it auto locks as if the key FOB is not within proximity.

Has there been a fix for this issue?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone has had the issue where you are trying to fill up gas, you are within proximity of the vehicle but the car auto locks thus locking the gas cover. Had this happen this weekend and notice that when I walk toward the trunk of the car, it auto locks as if the key FOB is not within proximity.

Has there been a fix for this issue?
Every.Single.Time.

kimonostereo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Glad i'm not the only one! LOL
I guess I should just turn this feature off. Looked like a crazy person thinking the gas door was broken at the pump.
Sponsored