mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I have questions on the Walk Away Door Lock with the Civic. Maybe you guys can help.

1. When I close the door, I hear a beep. When I walk away, there is another beep. What 2 beeps?
2. Sometimes when I close the door, I hear a few beeps continuously, no idea why.
Sponsored

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have questions on the Walk Away Door Lock with the Civic. Maybe you guys can help.

1. When I close the door, I hear a beep. When I walk away, there is another beep. What 2 beeps?
2. Sometimes when I close the door, I hear a few beeps continuously, no idea why.
1. My understanding is that the first beep informs you that all the doors are closed when you exit the car. The second beep you hear as you walk away lets you know that the car recognizes you've walked away and locks the doors for you. Personally I think this is one of the best features on the car. I never have to worry about remembering if I locked my doors or not when I get out. Simply listen for the second beep and rest assured your car is locked!

2. Unfortunately this is a normal phenomenon with the unpredictable rapid beeping. For some reason when you shut the door the car will act as if you're walking away from it while it's running. There've been many discussion about why it does this but no one has found a remedy yet to correct it. When my car does it occasionally I just hit the lock button on the fob and it locks like it's supposed to. Somewhat annoying but not worth trading the car in for lol

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
1. I would think one beep would be suffice. The 2nd beep actually gives me the impression that it unlocks again. Is it anyway to eliminate the door locking when I exit the car (eliminatemthemfirst deep)? I prefer to lock the door only when I walk away from the car.

2. Is this anything Honda can do? This looks like a software defect.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
You got a pretty detailed response above...
It's all in the manual, see page 140

1. While within about 5 feet (1.5 m) radius of the vehicle.
>> The beeper sounds; the auto lock
function will be activated.
2. Carry the smart entry remote beyond about 5 feet (1.5 m) from the vehicle and remain outside this range for 2 or more seconds.
>> Some exterior lights flash; the beeper
sounds
; all doors will then lock.
And for your #2:
After the auto lock function has been activated, the auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the trunk.
If the warning beeper sounds, check that you are carrying the smart entry remote. Then, open/close a door and confirm the auto lock activation beeper sounds once.
AFAIK the only way to get rid of the beeps is to disable the 'walk away auto lock" feature.

P.S. I do wish the warning beep was much shorter, maybe 3 or 4 chirps instead of their 10 or however many they have there... Oh well.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
So, this means that it locks the car twice, right?
Maybe I should deactivate the Auto-Lock function. As long as it locks all the door when I walk away, I am OK.

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
So, this means that it locks the car twice, right?
Maybe I should deactivate the Auto-Lock function. As long as it locks all the door when I walk away, I am OK.
Car does not lock twice. First beep is just the car telling you the auto lock feature is on standby and waiting for you to walk away. A sort of "Hey, just want you to know I got your back"

2nd beep is when the car actually locks. If you listen closely, you can hear the doors actually locking just before the 2nd beep. The 2nd beep is just "Yo, car's lock. Told you I got your back"

Stinkfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport Touring
Mine almost never works no matter what I try.

Sometimes I try and get out going more towards the back of the car, Ive tried exiting slower or faster, with a passenger closing their door 1st or 2nd. etc etc.

The walk away lock works maybe 1 in 20 times for me.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Mine almost never works no matter what I try.

Sometimes I try and get out going more towards the back of the car, Ive tried exiting slower or faster, with a passenger closing their door 1st or 2nd. etc etc.

The walk away lock works maybe 1 in 20 times for me.
Are you wearing a knight's armor? :)
Seriously, I would look at something potentially blocking the radio signal -- or, there may be something wrong with the fob itself, or with the transceiver (in the car) that "talks" to the fob.
FWIW, I get the "warning beep" (i.e. it fails) in only about 5-10% of cases, i.e. it almost always works properly.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my favorite feature of the car. It always works for me. I didn't like the double beep but now it makes a lot of sense. 1 beep is like cool you are leaving all is good. 2nd beep is now is locked for sure. cuz one time I didn't hear the 2nd beep and it was because one door was not closed properly.

the constant beep can happen if you leave the car on and you walk away... is warning u. if someone didn't close the door and you left and the car didn't look. if you leave the keys on the car (I think). It is a warning and it doesn't bug me. better hear that than have an accident or something.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
This is my favorite feature of the car. It always works for me. I didn't like the double beep but now it makes a lot of sense. 1 beep is like cool you are leaving all is good. 2nd beep is now is locked for sure. cuz one time I didn't hear the 2nd beep and it was because one door was not closed properly.
This is something to get used to. I prefer one beep to tell me the doors are locked. And if one door is not locked, it would not beep so I can check the doors.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always figured the first beep was to confirm the door is closed properly. 2nd beep for lock. Anyway its one of the best features of any vehicle I've owned.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
If you read the manual it says when all doors close you need to be with in 8ft of one door. Then when you reach 8ft away it locks all the doors. Personally I think it hasn't worked maybe 2 times for me? Out of the month I have had it.

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
To add to this the walk away door lock doesn't work when I unplugged three of the doors' armrest window switches. After I plug those back in it starts working again.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
What's annoying in snowy climates is that when you start the car and then get out while it's running to clear snow off the car... rapid beeping! And it happens more than once as you move about the car to clear snow with the keys in your pocket. Annoying, wish there was a way to keep the car from beeping at times like this.
Sponsored