First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ugh sorry to hear that...are you working with lemon law lawyers in the arbitration over these issues or are you representing yourself?
Its through NCDS, no lawyers involved. An independent arbitrator looks over all the evidence I've provided,which includes service records, tons of videos and any other documentation, then you have a hearing where they listen to you present your argument and Honda will give their side. If he decides in my favor, and awards me a replacement car Honda is bound to bit. If I don't like his descission, THEN I will file for lemon law which will get an attorney involved and Honda would have to pay for that.
Honda has been saying they can't find any issues with it,after they replaced a part, but I got the holy grail of evidence yesterday, I've got video of the service manager in it with all that stuff not working, and he wrote on the service ticket also that the a.c. did not come on when it should. I think I'm gonna win,lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
The walk-away beeping has plagued our 2016 EX since new. Several trips to the dealer, body control module (BCM) changed, nothing has solved the problem. I even get the rapid beeps when getting into and closing the door. The dealer has scant troubleshooting literature from Honda. I had several interactions with the Honda Canada 1-800 number and their defence squarely rests on page 127 of the owner's manual:

In the following cases, locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or starting
the engine may be inhibited or operation may be unstable:
• Strong radio waves are being transmitted by nearby equipment.
• You are carrying the smart entry remote together with telecommunications
equipment, laptop computers, cell phones, or wireless devices.
• A metallic object is touching or covering the smart entry remote.

I don't own a cellphone, so that can be ruled out. I have removed my keys and the emergency key from the FOB and that does not solve the problem. So there must be strong radio waves interfering with the unit. Cold those be from one of the many 700 MHz cell towers that dot the urban landscape? I believe the walk-away locking system operates on 125 KHz. I have been in the RF business for over 30 years and if other frequencies are swamping the receiver of the car's BCM, then it is poor circuit design - plain and simple. The phrase seen in consumer lawsuits, "not fit for its intended purposes" clearly applies here.

The keyless system is designed and produced by the Continental, the German tire & rubber and automotive electronics company. The United States FCC testing took place at a German lab. So maybe the system design works fine in Germany, but did not account for North American RF pollution. Honda should have learned their lesson with using German vendors after the Acura TLX/ZF nine-speed transmission debacle.

I have given up on solving my problem. I have owned Honda/Acura cars continuously since 1994 and this will be my last. Only twenty-one payments to go and my problem will be solved.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The walk-away beeping has plagued our 2016 EX since new. Several trips to the dealer, body control module (BCM) changed, nothing has solved the problem. I even get the rapid beeps when getting into and closing the door. The dealer has scant troubleshooting literature from Honda. I had several interactions with the Honda Canada 1-800 number and their defence squarely rests on page 127 of the owner's manual:

In the following cases, locking/unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, or starting
the engine may be inhibited or operation may be unstable:
• Strong radio waves are being transmitted by nearby equipment.
• You are carrying the smart entry remote together with telecommunications
equipment, laptop computers, cell phones, or wireless devices.
• A metallic object is touching or covering the smart entry remote.

I don't own a cellphone, so that can be ruled out. I have removed my keys and the emergency key from the FOB and that does not solve the problem. So there must be strong radio waves interfering with the unit. Cold those be from one of the many 700 MHz cell towers that dot the urban landscape? I believe the walk-away locking system operates on 125 KHz. I have been in the RF business for over 30 years and if other frequencies are swamping the receiver of the car's BCM, then it is poor circuit design - plain and simple. The phrase seen in consumer lawsuits, "not fit for its intended purposes" clearly applies here.

The keyless system is designed and produced by the Continental, the German tire & rubber and automotive electronics company. The United States FCC testing took place at a German lab. So maybe the system design works fine in Germany, but did not account for North American RF pollution. Honda should have learned their lesson with using German vendors after the Acura TLX/ZF nine-speed transmission debacle.

I have given up on solving my problem. I have owned Honda/Acura cars continuously since 1994 and this will be my last. Only twenty-one payments to go and my problem will be solved.
I just got my car back AGAIN from the dealership. They had it for three days and were unable to replicate the problem except for the 2 times in the morning the first day they had it. They ran an entire gamut of tests and the service manager personally tested the car again and again to try and get it to do the demon beeping. No luck. Because they couldn't replicate the problem again, there was nothing they could do but give me a free oil change for my troubles.

I picked up the car and went to Costco to get gas, got out of the car and got out of the car. One beep, we're in good shape. Then I went to get some food....and at that point the demon beeping returned. My girlfriend and I started driving around the parking lot and trying different things and getting video documentation of what we were testing as far as where my phone, wallet, and keys are. One time, she stood 10 feet away holding all of my stuff while I had nothing in my pockets and only had the key fob and it still didn't work.

Seems pretty hopeless...wondering what my next move should be, because at this point my blood pressure rises every time I hear that beeping. I would feel better knowing that this is a very widespread problem and that it has nothing to do with my particular car in general, but all of my other friends with Civic EX's/EX-L don't have this problem, so I don't know what to think. I am wondering if I should try and seek some sort of compensation from Honda for this feature that I paid for and expected to work not working...

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Its through NCDS, no lawyers involved. An independent arbitrator looks over all the evidence I've provided,which includes service records, tons of videos and any other documentation, then you have a hearing where they listen to you present your argument and Honda will give their side. If he decides in my favor, and awards me a replacement car Honda is bound to bit. If I don't like his descission, THEN I will file for lemon law which will get an attorney involved and Honda would have to pay for that.
Honda has been saying they can't find any issues with it,after they replaced a part, but I got the holy grail of evidence yesterday, I've got video of the service manager in it with all that stuff not working, and he wrote on the service ticket also that the a.c. did not come on when it should. I think I'm gonna win,lol
When is your hearing? Would be interested to hear the result of it.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got my car back AGAIN from the dealership. They had it for three days and were unable to replicate the problem except for the 2 times in the morning the first day they had it. They ran an entire gamut of tests and the service manager personally tested the car again and again to try and get it to do the demon beeping. No luck. Because they couldn't replicate the problem again, there was nothing they could do but give me a free oil change for my troubles.

I picked up the car and went to Costco to get gas, got out of the car and got out of the car. One beep, we're in good shape. Then I went to get some food....and at that point the demon beeping returned. My girlfriend and I started driving around the parking lot and trying different things and getting video documentation of what we were testing as far as where my phone, wallet, and keys are. One time, she stood 10 feet away holding all of my stuff while I had nothing in my pockets and only had the key fob and it still didn't work.

Seems pretty hopeless...wondering what my next move should be, because at this point my blood pressure rises every time I hear that beeping. I would feel better knowing that this is a very widespread problem and that it has nothing to do with my particular car in general, but all of my other friends with Civic EX's/EX-L don't have this problem, so I don't know what to think. I am wondering if I should try and seek some sort of compensation from Honda for this feature that I paid for and expected to work not working...
The thing is, Honda won't fix it cause they are trying to say there isn't anything wrong, so they certainly will laugh if you ask for any compensation. It sucks, I know, I've had my issues since November. Best thing you can do is keep getting those videos.
Did you say that they did get it to act up once or twice while it was there?

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The thing is, Honda won't fix it cause they are trying to say there isn't anything wrong, so they certainly will laugh if you ask for any compensation. It sucks, I know, I've had my issues since November. Best thing you can do is keep getting those videos.
Did you say that they did get it to act up once or twice while it was there?
Yeah I hear ya. Going to keep getting those videos, might as well.

They did get it to act up twice right when I dropped it off. However, they were able to replicate it while my keyfob was attached to my carabiner with my keysmart key organizer on it as well. After they took the keysmart off, they were unable to replicate anymore. However, when I dropped it off two weeks ago, the guy I was working with was able to replicate it without the keysmart. I've also stopped carrying my keysmart around and it's still having issues. So doesn't seem isolated to the keysmart.

How have you been doing your videos? Just park, turn on the camera, and narrate what you're doing as you get out?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I hear ya. Going to keep getting those videos, might as well.

They did get it to act up twice right when I dropped it off. However, they were able to replicate it while my keyfob was attached to my carabiner with my keysmart key organizer on it as well. After they took the keysmart off, they were unable to replicate anymore. However, when I dropped it off two weeks ago, the guy I was working with was able to replicate it without the keysmart. I've also stopped carrying my keysmart around and it's still having issues. So doesn't seem isolated to the keysmart.

How have you been doing your videos? Just park, turn on the camera, and narrate what you're doing as you get out?
I would tell them,youv've duplicated the issue while it was here,you need to fix it.
Pretty much for videoing, what you said, but I've had to drive and video some stuff,which I shouldn't have been doing. My narration has turned into lunatic grade yelling, but Im also on my 30th video lol.
Just make sure you keep copies of all the video safe on Google drive so you don't loose them, if you need to pursue something such as what I'm doing,they want three copies of everything . Keep your service records also.
Did they note anywhere that they did get it to act up those two times?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
ya we had the rapid beeps when getting out a couple times in 1k miles.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I would tell them,youv've duplicated the issue while it was here,you need to fix it.
Pretty much for videoing, what you said, but I've had to drive and video some stuff,which I shouldn't have been doing. My narration has turned into lunatic grade yelling, but Im also on my 30th video lol.
Just make sure you keep copies of all the video safe on Google drive so you don't loose them, if you need to pursue something such as what I'm doing,they want three copies of everything . Keep your service records also.
Did they note anywhere that they did get it to act up those two times?
I just looked at the report, they worded it "customer demonstrated with Wally". Sigh.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Once I took my phone out of the pocket my fob is in, this problem went away. With it in, it was like a 50% chance of it happening. I think there is some interference between other things and the radio waves the key fob is emitting. It hasn’t happened since I took these steps.

My pocket with the fob is now always empty unless I’m not planning on driving.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Once I took my phone out of the pocket my fob is in, this problem went away. With it in, it was like a 50% chance of it happening. I think there is some interference between other things and the radio waves the key fob is emitting. It hasn’t happened since I took these steps.

My pocket with the fob is now always empty unless I’m not planning on driving.
Yes I definitely took that into consideration. However, I've done tests where I leave my phone in my house and then drive to an empty parking lot to test this occurrence with nothing but the keyfob and it's still doing it, which is what's driving me insane. I also never put my keyfob in my pocket, I have it hanging from my belt loop. And the crazy thing is, even though I'm able to replicate it regularly without any sort of cell phone or signal emitting device nearby, the people at Capitol Honda are reportedly unable to replicate it and are unable to help me. Incredibly frustrating.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Might be time to start videoing while your at the dealership with them looking at it too.
Just got this email from Honda Corporate:

"Thank you for reaching back to us in regard of your beeping concern. Please continue working with Capitol Honda for further assistance. We offer our sincere apologizes for the confusion and the inconvenience this may have caused you. We will not be able to provide assistance, by adding the third-party alarm system, the vehicle has been modified. You will need to work with Capitol Honda in attempt to get them to duplicate the beeping concern."

So Honda Corporate is now refusing to help because of this third-party alarm system that Capitol Honda installs on all their vehicles. I wasn't made aware of what installing this system entails and was not given a choice to have it installed or not because it comes on all their cars. I feel I've been duped because now I'm in a situation where Capitol says they can't help me anymore, Honda Corporate says they won't help, and I feel like any arbitration or Lemon Law attempt will fail because Capitol has installed this stupid alarm. Don't know what to do now...

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got this email from Honda Corporate:

"Thank you for reaching back to us in regard of your beeping concern. Please continue working with Capitol Honda for further assistance. We offer our sincere apologizes for the confusion and the inconvenience this may have caused you. We will not be able to provide assistance, by adding the third-party alarm system, the vehicle has been modified. You will need to work with Capitol Honda in attempt to get them to duplicate the beeping concern."

So Honda Corporate is now refusing to help because of this third-party alarm system that Capitol Honda installs on all their vehicles. I wasn't made aware of what installing this system entails and was not given a choice to have it installed or not because it comes on all their cars. I feel I've been duped because now I'm in a situation where Capitol says they can't help me anymore, Honda Corporate says they won't help, and I feel like any arbitration or Lemon Law attempt will fail because Capitol has installed this stupid alarm. Don't know what to do now...
Wow, that sucks. I'm not sure what you can do either in this case. Is the alarm installation what is causing this? I'm not totally sure on this,hopefully someone can chime in, but I think there is some kind of act that states you can't be denied warranty coverage due to you modifying your car UNLESS they prove that particular modification caused the issue.
If it did, I would think you have a case against the dealership since you had no say in its installation. It can't hurt for you to contact NCDS, they will listen to your info and tell you if you qualify or not and could probably give you info on who to contact if they can't help.
Don't give up whatever you do just cause Honda is trying to pass the buck. I found out,that they really aren't to concerned about keeping their customers happy after a sale :(
Sponsored