iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I know there are other threads about this issue but I feel like I just need to vent. This car is my dream car and the beeping whenever I close any door is starting to drive me nuts. I know I can just turn the feature off, but it's a feature that I paid for and is important to me, so I feel like it should work as advertised or else I'm not getting the full value of the car I paid for.

I bought my 2018 Civic Hatchback EX on May 25th. In the last month, I have driven to dealerships 5 times to get serviced because of this Walk Away Auto Lock feature. 1/5 of the miles on my car have been due to driving to and from the dealership. Here's the story:

- Experienced rapid beeping whenever I close any door on my car, meaning the walk away auto lock won't work and I can't lock the doors with the handle button. Didn't know what was going on.
- Brought my car to Capitol Honda (about a 40 min drive from my house), they told me that they couldn't replicate the issue so it seems like it's fixed. I brought the car home, and noticed that there wasn't even a single beep when I closed the door. Turns out they just turned the walk away auto lock feature off in my car instead of fixing it.
- Brought my car to Fremont Honda (much closer, 15 min drive), they told me that likely, Capitol Honda hid a key in one of my seats and that's what's causing the issue. I knew that to be false because if there was a key in the car and walk away auto lock were turned on, there wouldn't be any beeping at all. Also, if that were the case, I'd be able to start the car while the service adviser was standing outside of my car holding my key. I wasn't able to do, so there is no hidden extra key in the car. They told me that because there is a KARR alarm system on my car, they can't touch it without charging me 200 bucks.
- Brought my car back to Capitol Honda, they had KARR alarm come and disconnect the alarm. They sent me back to Fremont Honda
- Fremont Honda opened up the panel underneath my steering wheel to see that whoever installed the alarm did a terrible job and there were wires sticking out everywhere and panels not put in place. They sent me back to Capitol.
- I worked with the service manager and told him all I've gone through and my frustrations with the car. He personally oversaw the reinstallation of the alarm system and replaced the body control module. He told me that he could not replicate the issue and that the walk away auto lock seems to be working fine now. I picked up the car, tested out opening all the doors and the hatch, and I got beeping when I closed the hatch.
- I brought the car home, and spent hours testing all sorts of different scenarios. Starting/shutting the car and then getting out and closing the door with my phone and wallet in my pockets and my keyfob dangling from my belt loop, doing the same thing with the phone and wallet in the car, doing the same thing with phone and wallet in the house, doing the same thing with literally just my key fob in my pocket, opening and closing all the doors without starting/shutting off the car with pockets full and pockets not full. All seem to lead to the car beeping at random times. There is not much of a pattern and it's driving me insane.
- I contacted Capitol Honda and let them know what's going on. I'm going to go and personally show them all the things I've done to replicate the beeping, and I'm going to try the same thing on one of their new cars in the lot.
- I've also contacted Honda Corporate and filed a case with them and sent them my repair orders.
- I've also contacted a lemon lawyer and sent them my repair orders and purchase contracts.

At this point, I am completely deflated and beyond frustrated and am just reaching out to whoever to try and get a resolution. All I want is for my car to work like it's supposed to, I don't care how I get there.

If anyone has any more insight...I'd appreciate it...
Sponsored

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find mine only does the beeping if I exit the car immediately after turning it off. if I turn it off and wait 10-15 seconds (about enough time for me to grab my phone, open my door, and get my fat @$$ out of the car) it functions correctly 99% of the time. Almost like it takes that amount of time for the system to realize the car is no longer on and therefore locks rather than give a chime that you left the car running with the key in your pocket.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I find mine only does the beeping if I exit the car immediately after turning it off. if I turn it off and wait 10-15 seconds (about enough time for me to grab my phone, open my door, and get my fat @$$ out of the car) it functions correctly 99% of the time. Almost like it takes that amount of time for the system to realize the car is no longer on and therefore locks rather than give a chime that you left the car running with the key in your pocket.
Yeah I did think about that, because 100% of the time if the car is on and I stop out with my fob and close the door, the rapid beeping happens. So I figured maybe the car isn't thinking fast enough. However, I did try it yesterday, just sitting in the car for 20-30 seconds and then exiting, it was still happening.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Try exiting the car at whatever speed you want but stand right by the door for a few seconds (maybe 5-10) and then walk away

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
That's really weird, my car only beeps when the car is on and I leave with the key. Otherwise it's silent and it pretty much never beeps unless I press the lock button on the door or key fob.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Try exiting the car at whatever speed you want but stand right by the door for a few seconds (maybe 5-10) and then walk away
Yup tried that. Tried standing outside the car for a while and then shutting the door and tried getting out, shutting the door, and standing there for a bit. Beeps on both.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup tried that. Tried standing outside the car for a while and then shutting the door and tried getting out, shutting the door, and standing there for a bit. Beeps on both.
have you tried all this with both keyfobs? Maybe they fob itself is the issue?

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like it's dealer time. Mine beeps at me too but only when I'm impatient and walk away as I shut the door. Then I just use the keyfob to lock. Maybe just disable the beeping and use the button on the handle?

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
have you tried all this with both keyfobs? Maybe they fob itself is the issue?
Yup tried it with both keyfobs. One behaves slightly better than the other but it still happens with both.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Sounds like it's dealer time. Mine beeps at me too but only when I'm impatient and walk away as I shut the door. Then I just use the keyfob to lock. Maybe just disable the beeping and use the button on the handle?
Yeah I've been going to the dealer once a week since I got the car, lot of driving back and forth! I'm getting to the point where I'm going to just disable the beeping because it's driving me crazy but I want to exhaust all options first and make the dealer feel some heat from it, especially since they did such a hack job with the third party alarm and cutting into factory wires and stuff.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've had this issue as well and there is no logical way to replicate it. Sometimes, I sit in the car to gather my things (30seconds to a minute), other times I walk away quickly or even get out at a normal pace. No way to verify when it will beep at me. I turned it off since I am tired of dealing with it and just use the button on the door, at least I know that I am walking away from a locked car.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had this issue as well and there is no logical way to replicate it. Sometimes, I sit in the car to gather my things (30seconds to a minute), other times I walk away quickly or even get out at a normal pace. No way to verify when it will beep at me. I turned it off since I am tired of dealing with it and just use the button on the door, at least I know that I am walking away from a locked car.
That is probably the best solution unfortunately

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
That is probably the best solution unfortunately
Just got off the phone with a lemon lawyer. He says there's a good chance they can help me at least get some money back for this thing not working. Don't know how good a chance though, he may be exaggerating.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel exactly like you, every feature on this car should work, we are paying for it and that is that.
Ive got tons more issues than this and have an arbitration hearing scheduled over them, corporate Honda sucks I can tell you that.
But I just had them look at this same issue you are having yesterday while they had it for other stuff. Same reply as usual," we can't replicate the problem",and they gave me a little sheet that said, I'm walking away to fast,or my phone is interfering, all bs of course.

OP
OP

iketricktor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I feel exactly like you, every feature on this car should work, we are paying for it and that is that.
Ive got tons more issues than this and have an arbitration hearing scheduled over them, corporate Honda sucks I can tell you that.
But I just had them look at this same issue you are having yesterday while they had it for other stuff. Same reply as usual," we can't replicate the problem",and they gave me a little sheet that said, I'm walking away to fast,or my phone is interfering, all bs of course.
Ugh sorry to hear that...are you working with lemon law lawyers in the arbitration over these issues or are you representing yourself?
Sponsored