Walk away auto lock doesn't work

HelenofTroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
I just bought my Civic Touring a week ago, and, overall, am very pleased with my choice. (I'd gone to the dealership, intending to buy an Accord!) But, some of the "locking" technology has me feeling like an idiot!

I don't know if there's a problem with my car, or if I'm totally misunderstanding what's supposed to happen. (Yes, I have read the manual on this -- over and over!)

1) I did turn on the Walk Away Lock feature -- but it never engages. Whether I leave the car quickly, or linger by it, I can walk away from the car with my fob, and no matter when I return, the car is completely unlocked. Anyone can approach it -- fob or no fob -- and open any car door. (Though, without the fob, they will be unable to actually start the car.) Surely, this is not supposed to happen?!

I've opened and shut all the doors, and the trunk and hood, and even the fuel lid, several times, so I don't think the car is failing to lock because of an open door. (In fact, the car locks fine via either fob, or with the handle.)

2) My understanding is that the car should beep at me, to let me know if the fob has been left in the car, when all the doors are closed. Is that correct? Because my car couldn't care less! I can leave either fob in the car, close all the doors, and go wherever I want, without any issue. (However, I'm unable to lock the car from the door handle, in that situation.)

I know there have been glitches with the Touring, in particular, so I may just be encountering some of my own. But, I also recognize that I might just be very confused re how all this is supposed to work. So, I thought I'd turn to the experts on this forum, to set me straight! Thanks!
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For #1 I cannot answer that question, but can say that I have similar issue with that.

For #2, the car only beeps at you if you take the key fob out of the car while it is running and close the doors. As far as I can recall, there is not a beep that the car makes if you leave your fob in the car, whether running or not. The car just wont lock, thats all.

OP
OP

HelenofTroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Thanks so much for the quick, helpful response! That's exactly why I knew this was the ideal place to post!!

Okay, it's great to know that my second worry is all for naught. I don't know where I got the misinformation about there being beeping, if the fob is left in a closed car. I think I've been so concerned about my car not beeping to tell me that it was Auto-Locking (since it's NOT Auto-Locking!), that I thought it wasn't beeping at me in other situations, either! (If that even makes sense!)

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I figured it out (if it hasn't been found yet). I noticed that I usually am walking away from the car as I shut the door behind me. So, I am already 1-3 steps away from the car as the door is shutting. If I walk away from the car too quickly, I get a series of rapid beeps and the car does not self-lock. But if I stand next to the car as I shut the door and then walk away after the door is shut, the car will lock. I fiddled with it just a moment ago as I came back to work from lunch. I got the rapid beeps as I walked away and shut the door behind me. I repeated the exact same motion three times and each time I got the rapid beeps. But then I stayed next to the car when I shut the door and it worked fine. So, I think those of us that are having issues with the walk away lock feature... we are simply walking away from the car too quickly as we shut the door. Can anyone else confirm this? I may make a video of it later today and upload it to Youtube to show it in action.
I found this post on another earlier thread. Maybe try this? For the record, I've no issues with walk away locking function. Good luck.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Strange, I have this feature set and it works 100% time except when my passenger leaves the car after me. Other than that, my car beeps once when I take a few steps and then it locks a couple of steps later

OP
OP

HelenofTroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
I found this post on another earlier thread. Maybe try this? For the record, I've no issues with walk away locking function. Good luck.
Thanks for looking into this! I actually had seen that post, which is why I started to linger around my car, before walking away, to see if that made a difference.

UPDATE/ANSWER: I got impatient this morning, and took my car in to Honda. Turns out the after-market alarm was installed incorrectly, and it's affecting my locking system!

How stupid am I, that I didn't even know I HAD an after-market alarm?!

There is a KARR sticker on the window, but I assumed that it was something that Honda included standard with the Civic. The salesman didn't mention an extra security system to me, nor was I charged for one. He did have to get my car from a "sister" dealership, in order to give me the color I wanted: Lunar Silver. Is it possible he didn't know the car would include this?

(Can you tell I'm a newbie at buying cars?!)

I appreciate all the help!

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I hope it's not some kind of security system that tells the dealer where your car is if you're late on your lease payments. I think they only put those in at the used car dealers who prey on poor people though.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Walk Away lock is one of the most useful thing that I've ever had, literally. Basically, I just leave my key in my bag and it never leaves my bag. So I just get out of the car and as soon as I close the door, it beeps once. I walk away several feet away from the car, it then locks by itself. I can do this in a variety of ways, either walking away from the car slowly or running away from it, it still locks.

Very useful imo.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Walk Away lock is one of the most useful thing that I've ever had, literally. Basically, I just leave my key in my bag and it never leaves my bag. So I just get out of the car and as soon as I close the door, it beeps once. I walk away several feet away from the car, it then locks by itself. I can do this in a variety of ways, either walking away from the car slowly or running away from it, it still locks.

Very useful imo.
This is one of my favorite features in this car!

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
for anyone interested, when walk-away auto lock fails due to a keyless system error, it will not re-engage until the battery is reconnected so the keyless system can re-initialize. the same thing can happen to the rain sensor if it was disconnected, auto headlights and auto wipe won't function until the system resets by battery and the ACC re-initializes.
Sponsored